• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Shute Shield 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
DT, The manly preso's words would carry a little more weight if he could actually quantify how much is allegedly owed.
An amount of between 10 to 15 grand. How can he not know?
The article made some reference that the pres needed to go back over old records to quantify it.
Poor form from Manly to splash the young guy on the back page insinuating he has dudded them.

Slash

Bill Watson (15)
DT, The manly preso's words would carry a little more weight if he could actually quantify how much is allegedly owed.
An amount of between 10 to 15 grand. How can he not know?
The article made some reference that the pres needed to go back over old records to quantify it.
Poor form from Manly to splash the young guy on the back page insinuating he has dudded them.

Is there a link to this article you speak of anywhere?

H

high tower

Done that,
if he has an agreement and by that I take it you mean a contract, then he should play @Manly, if does have one then why doesnt the Manly President say this. It appears that they think made an investment in his future out of school and now they want to be compensated and/or they want to stop him from playing. My guess is that he wants a super 15 contract and that being in and out of first grade @Manly was not helping with that endeavour. As "I like to watch" says it would be better if Manly knew what he owed them and if they were more specific about what it was regarding.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
I dont think the Rats are a good choice because their forward pack is mostly made up of players, who are very commited, but unfortunately not of first grade standard.

My only worry for him is that he will not get to showcase his skills in a team and more importantly a pack who are going backwards.

You are probably right lily but at least Salesi will get to play in first grade - and as somebody else said: the Rats pack will be improved when the Super players return. He may well do better from a rugby point of view staying at Manly but, right or wrong, he is not a happy camper there; so it's best that he moves onto another club, and not too far from home.

He's getting to the age (as a large ethnic Islander) at which he should aspire to play in the Ones somewhere - a couple of years ahead of someone of the same age and of European persuasion.

I don't know why he would owe Manly that money but when I read in in the MD it said it was of a capital nature when he joined the club. That is probably code for a signing on fee, in cash or kind, after he left St. Augustines, but it probably had a proviso that he stayed for more years than he has.

The Rats don't have a decent prop in the whole club and they probably need him more than he needs them. He is going through a sliding door, and who is to say it is not the right passage?

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
Everyone makes mistakes yes, but that is not the issue here. The issue is the accountability for the mistake. I picked up the Sydney Daily Telegraph yesterday and sure enough, there was an article in there how some video ref form the Manly game has been dropped from his duties for a week? So if it can happen at that level, why is it that only excuses are made for rugby refs rather than genuine accountability?

I think you have missed my point entirely. The reason team or or team b loses is because of one decision. If two teams are evenly matched someone has to win and someone has to lose. Pointing out one mistake someone makes is weak.

Glass house theory you know.
Fix your backyard first you know.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Sydney Uni 11 - Northern Suburbs 23

This was an ugly game under the Uni lights and one to you'd back Uni to win most of the time, but Northerns battled their way through pressure times in the match and took their 2 try scoring chances.

Uni didn't have a plan B: they had a few longish periods of dominance but kept pick and driving up the middle at the money end of the ground. Apart from one time when Lachie McCutcheon went over, the Longshoremen held them out. At the end, when the penny dropped that they were losing again at home, Uni tried to be more expansive but by then you realised that all the good cattle in their backline were absent on other duties.

There was a rugby league feel to the Uni pack: apart from Sam Carter all the others were mobile attackers and defenders, never far from the ball - not that Sam is a pot plant either. They seemed to miss a few big boppers though things improved when THP Paddy O'Brien came on in the 2nd half. The Uni scrum was punishing, especially after oranges, when Jerry Y and Paddy were propping, but some of their lineout work was untidy.

For Norths: it was good to see 8. AJ Gilbert, the best player on the park, at the ground again. He has trimmed down from when he played for the Rats, and later the Reds, and it looks like he is a better player for it. He still has the dreads but they are receding a bit.

It was good to see 13. Meakes again too as I hadn't seen him since Joeys. He did his chances of getting picked for the Oz U20 side no harm. Veratau was surprisingly decent as a 12. 14 Zak Holmes had a magic moment. On one uncommon occasion, with the score 11-13, the Uni backs shifted the ball wide quickly and Zak read the situation like a comic book, intercepted the pass and ran 80 metres + to score under the posts.

For Uni it was good to see another ex-Joeys lad play senior rugby for the first time. David Hickey is a drovers dog 7 these days and not a 2 or 13. He went OK as did the Victorian lad 8. Jack de Guingand of Oz A Schools, whose future is at 7. 6. Lachie McCutcheon is back healthy again and 9. Schwagger was very good in a losing team.

The 8 starting Uni forwards are all quite young. They will have bigger scrapbooks at the end of their careers than the visiting Norths pack will have when they finish theirs, but tonight the older guys held them out.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Fair comment, LG, but purely for the sake of perspective I would point out that this is the youngest team Uni has ever put on the paddock:

#1 = 23
#2 = 20
#3 = 19
#4 = 20
#5 = 21
#6 = 26
#7 = 19
#8 = 19
#9 = 23
#10 = 20
#11 = 19
#12 = 22
#13 = 21
#14 = 26
#15 = 21

And last night was the last game of a six week stint for the the No. 6, Lachlan McCutcheon. Having travelled back and forth from the bush to help his old club out he now has to go back to the farm.

Cyril Towers (30)
Sydney Uni 11 - Northern Suburbs 23

They seemed to miss a few big boppers though things improved when THP Paddy O'Brien came on in the 2nd half.
If PO'B got a run that should have given the average age a considerable boost!:)

CarlUnger

Chris McKivat (8)
Tips
4/6 last round, forgot to put a tip on the for the Sydney Uni v Northern Suburbs match which Northern Subs won who I wouldn't have tipped anyway.

Southern Districts v Gordon
Randwick v Penrith
Manly v West Harbour
Warringah v Eastern Suburbs
Parramatta v Eastwood

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
If PO'B got a run that should have given the average age a considerable boost!:)

Very droll topo. I will bide my time and get my own back when you least expect it.

[How to you spell the scary noise which indicates that something very scary is going to happen to somebody else?]

PS - Paddy Ryan's scrummaging was decent too.

CarlUnger

Chris McKivat (8)
Thats right
Well done Penrith on that upset win, great to hear.
Enjoyed the Southern Districts v Gordon match, really exciting to watch Dion Berryman play.

rugbyvet

Chris McKivat (8)
Great results in the Shute Shield with Penrith winning,Gordon going well and the Two Blues taking it to the number one Eastwood team, hopefully shows the competition may be evening out alittle. As a Eastwood fan i wouldn't mind alittle report on the game if any Parra or Woods fans were out there?

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
Terrific game at Merrylands RSL Rugby Park. Very little between the two teams which again shows how far Parra has come in twelve months. Result really hinged on the scrum. Parra absolutely should have been awarded a penalty try for repeated collapsing by Easwood right on half time that would have made scores level . Diabolical refereeing, as the touchies and refs walked off for half time the touchie told the ref that Eastwood were dragging down on engagement. Mate tell him when the games on .
Parra lost Sione Tuala not long after half time and their scrum went from being dominant to getting belted and this turned the match.
Full credit to Eastwood who were very disciplined and have four of the best grade players not playing Super Rugby in Perrett, Batger, Grant and Tom Alexander.

Best perfomance by Parra backline so far this year with Damien Fakafuna and Dan Yakopo outstanding.

C

chief

I just watched Claremont versus Gordon, pretty good intense game of Rugby. I personally think Nathan Pearce's refereeing really needs to be addressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.