• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Shute Shield 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
Wow
have just seen a replay of the parra match after watching the game live. If there is any accoutability in the refereeing ranks then the TMO and touch judge have to be officiating under 6s next week. An absolute disgrace to the game that defies any logical explanation. A big thank you to Gordon who really made everyone from Parra very welcome yesterday. You are a great club with the interests of the game ahead of self interest.Wish you had a few mates !

Slash

Bill Watson (15)
Wow
have just seen a replay of the parra match after watching the game live. If there is any accountability in the refereeing ranks then the TMO and touch judge have to be officiating under 6s next week. An absolute disgrace to the game that defies any logical explanation. A big thank you to Gordon who really made everyone from Parra very welcome yesterday. You are a great club with the interests of the game ahead of self interest.Wish you had a few mates !

Critical word there............................but I'll put up $50 that absolutely nothing will be done about it............it is after all, just Parra. Who really cares (other than Parra folk of course) if they were robbed? Certainly not NSW Refs!

B

Bradley

David Jones-Prichard was the TMO responsible. According to the appointments list Peter Marshall was the referee coach appointed for that game. It would be interesting to see what Marshall thought of the decision.

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
Results

Gordon 30 Parramatta 26
West Harbour 24 Randwick 44
Penrith 17 Sydney Uni 35
Northern Suburbs 40 Southern Suburbs 23
Eastern Suburbs 23 Manly 16
Eastwood 46 Warringah 10

Well done to Northern Suburbs beating Southern Suburbs

Yes well done to Northern Districts beating Southern Districts

Just thought i would deliberately highlight the error in these posts for a 3rd time.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Wow
have just seen a replay of the parra match after watching the game live. If there is any accoutability in the refereeing ranks then the TMO and touch judge have to be officiating under 6s next week. An absolute disgrace to the game that defies any logical explanation.

While I cannot defend the TMO as it was a poor decision, the TJ did nothing wrong. He recommended to the referee that it be reviewed. In fact, it would have been a mistake not to use the techonology. The responsiblity for the error lies totally with the TMO.
I think there is a logical explanation - under pressure, people make mistakes plus the vision on the ABC monitor on the sideline is not as good as on the bigscreen at home.

Slash

Bill Watson (15)
While I cannot defend the TMO as it was a poor decision, the TJ did nothing wrong. He recommended to the referee that it be reviewed. In fact, it would have been a mistake not to use the techonology. The responsiblity for the error lies totally with the TMO.
I think there is a logical explanation - under pressure, people make mistakes plus the vision on the ABC monitor on the sideline is not as good as on the bigscreen at home.

By your comments above you are clearly a referee.................and one who is most likely on the payroll of the refs department recently acquired by ARU from NSWRU. So the question MUST now be, will the tmo be 'dropped' for the inexcusable error. Boo hoo I say about the monitor etc. John Morrison was sitting right next to him and he called it out (looking at the same screen I might add)............. So will he be dropped (if it was NRL he would be)? Or will he be councilled and excuses made til the cows come home? Will an admittance of error and perhaps even an apology be made by the tmo or the refs association to the relevant clubs?

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)

By your comments above you are clearly a referee.................and one who is most likely on the payroll of the refs department recently acquired by ARU from NSWRU.

I have no idea whether E'nE is a referee or who he works for, but I am intensely curious, Slash, to find out what process of deduction you used to derive those conclusions from what he has written.

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
The comments do look strangely like a response that the refs association just gave the club about the effects of sun on the monitors !

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
I think i have matured over the years. I went up to a ref after a game to talk about a decision he made and i said i think you mad a mistake.

His reply was along the lines of, 'Well if i did make a mistake i apologise but from where it was clear cut. I am human just like your winger who dropped it cold with the line open 10 minutes from the end of the game'

I learnt a lot from that. I think we all could to. A neccessary evil the ref's they are, but neccessary.

B

Bradley

E&e is right that the tmo is responsible. If you look at the replay, the touchie indicated to the ref with a finger pointing upwards, to get the tmo to check. Imo the touchie did the right thing. During the telecast robilliard said to papworth to ask the tmo for an explanation of his decision as he was sitting adjacent to him. The commentators got it right so why didnt the tmo who was sitting near them?

Slash

Bill Watson (15)
I have no idea whether E'nE is a referee or who he works for, but I am intensely curious, Slash, to find out what process of deduction you used to derive those conclusions from what he has written.

Do I need to hold your hand through it Bruce? Come on mate, you're the best contributor here. The reasons posted are clearly that of someone from the refs fraternity.

Slash

Bill Watson (15)
I think i have matured over the years. I went up to a ref after a game to talk about a decision he made and i said i think you mad a mistake.

His reply was along the lines of, 'Well if i did make a mistake i apologise but from where it was clear cut. I am human just like your winger who dropped it cold with the line open 10 minutes from the end of the game'

I learnt a lot from that. I think we all could to. A neccessary evil the ref's they are, but neccessary.

Couldnt agree more, however a reply like that is just passing the buck. Its like saying, yeh the winger was in touch, but hey you missed 2 tackles up the field that put him close to the line in the first place. A response like that clearly does not address the issue that the mistake was made. The missed tackles (or the dropped balls) have nothing to do with the decision. We all make mistakes. Its admitting them, putting processes in place so they dont occur again, and continuing to ensure they dont happen again that is the critical thing here. Players get dropped for making mistakes..............the whistle blowers should too

Slash

Bill Watson (15)
E&e is right that the tmo is responsible. If you look at the replay, the touchie indicated to the ref with a finger pointing upwards, to get the tmo to check. Imo the touchie did the right thing. During the telecast robilliard said to papworth to ask the tmo for an explanation of his decision as he was sitting adjacent to him. The commentators got it right so why didnt the tmo who was sitting near them?

Agreed. Whether or not it was the right decision by the touchie to recommend going upstairs is irrelevant I believe. What is relevant, is that the touchie made the decision early....and decisively. So he cant be blamed for the incorrect decision. The touchy did nothing wrong. The same cannot be said for the tmo...............

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
By your comments above you are clearly a referee.................and one who is most likely on the payroll of the refs department recently acquired by ARU from NSWRU. So the question MUST now be, will the tmo be 'dropped' for the inexcusable error. Boo hoo I say about the monitor etc. John Morrison was sitting right next to him and he called it out (looking at the same screen I might add)............. So will he be dropped (if it was NRL he would be)? Or will he be councilled and excuses made til the cows come home? Will an admittance of error and perhaps even an apology be made by the tmo or the refs association to the relevant clubs?

All I was trying to do was to say that 100% of the blame sits with the TMO (for a very poor decision) and none with the TJ. Blues Recovery said that there was no logical explanation - I tried to provide one. I was not trying to justify the error. I am not representing anyone here other than myself - I do not work for the Referees Department or Rugby Union and have no idea what the official response was. This is just my opinion.

On another note, is it a crime to be a referee on this web site? There appear to be many referee participants as they have one major thing in common with most contributors to this website - they have a passion for rugby. I believe they also bring some balance to the refereeing debate which seems to work its way into almost every thread.

Slash, even if I am a referee are you insinuating that my opinion is biased as a result or are you just trying to out me? Wouldn't a referee's view on a refereeing incident be informed?

I can't speak for the actions of the Rugby Union or the Referee Appointments Board but I would be interested in what you think the appropriate penalty should be. Given there is only 1 TMO each week, he can only be relieved of his duties as opposed to dropped. Assuming this is the TMO's first mistake, is a 1 week rest an appropriate penalty? Or should he just be given a warning and allowed to continue?

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
The TMO should be refereeing the Roos vs Lions U/7s this week. I have found most refs both polite and professional. Unfortunately when Q'd a couple of times about their performance some are very quick in informing you about the ARU'S code of Conduct.

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
I think Lilys point is very good. The refs I come across in club Rugby in general are very nice people who really care for the game . An honest response and accountability when a mistake is made is I think what most of us are looking for. The response the club has received is an apology of sorts accepting the decision was wrong but blaming the TV monitors and pressure from the ABC to not take to long to make the decision as the reason. Either use the technology available properly or not at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.