• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Shute Shield 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bradley

I don't know about their other games but the loss to Uni was a very tight game.

Yes, a close one against Uni (scoring 2 trys to 1) and they led Souths with 10 minutes to go but went down in a close one. I think you have to analyse their results in the context of where people thought they would be after so many players left before the season started. They also lost their coach Stu Woodhouse and the general consensus was they would probably be fighting for the wooden spoon.

I believe the club and the team is united behind new coach Andrew Cox. I've tipped them to knock off Randwick today!

Aussie D

Bob Davidson (42)
Gordon held off a hard finishing Parramatta to win 30-24. The Highlanders were in control for most of the match after a lucky try in the first five minutes (the bloke went into touch before scoring - the touchie and video ref need new glasses). The fullback Berryman (apparently he was in the Brumbies academy) carved up the Two Blues on a number of occasions and generally had a very good game looks to be one to watch for the future. For Parramatta Rodney Ma'a was in everything and you have to wonder what might have been if he hadn't stayed loyal to the Two Blues and went to the likes of Uni, Randwick or Easts.

CarlUnger

Chris McKivat (8)
Seems Gordon has a habit of letting the opposition get a very big chance of a win in the last 10-20 minutes. eg vs Warringah, vs Norths and now vs Parramatta

B

Bradley

Berryman looked very good. Gordon try was one of the worst decisions ive seen. The winger was clearly out. I cant believe the tmo saw differently. I liked the look of the para 4, 10, 15.

thecow

Ward Prentice (10)
Berryman looked very good. Gordon try was one of the worst decisions ive seen. The winger was clearly out. I cant believe the tmo saw differently. I liked the look of the para 4, 10, 15.

i reckon the touchie should have been able to call it himself it was that clear

CarlUnger

Chris McKivat (8)
Results

Gordon 30 Parramatta 26
West Harbour 24 Randwick 44
Penrith 17 Sydney Uni 35
Northern Suburbs 40 Southern Suburbs 23
Eastern Suburbs 23 Manly 16
Eastwood 46 Warringah 10

Well done to Northern Suburbs beating Southern Suburbs

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Gordon held off a hard finishing Parramatta to win 30-24. The Highlanders were in control for most of the match after a lucky try in the first five minutes (the bloke went into touch before scoring - the touchie and video ref need new glasses). The fullback Berryman (apparently he was in the Brumbies academy) carved up the Two Blues on a number of occasions and generally had a very good game looks to be one to watch for the future. For Parramatta Rodney Ma'a was in everything and you have to wonder what might have been if he hadn't stayed loyal to the Two Blues and went to the likes of Uni, Randwick or Easts.

Sorry to say this, but young Rodney has played Aust Schools where he was awarded the Golden Boot, this occured whilst playing in a very successful 2 blue colts eam in 2006. Since then he played for Eastwood, Penrith, Gordon and now he is back at the 2blues. He is a very good footballer but one who has offered his services to the highest bidder for a while.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Results

Gordon 30 Parramatta 26
West Harbour 24 Randwick 44
Penrith 17 Sydney Uni 35
Northern Suburbs 40 Southern Suburbs 23
Eastern Suburbs 23 Manly 16
Eastwood 46 Warringah 10

Well done to Northern Suburbs beating Southern Suburbs

West Harbour 32 Randwick 41

Slash

Bill Watson (15)
Sorry to say this, but young Rodney has played Aust Schools where he was awarded the Golden Boot, this occured whilst playing in a very successful 2 blue colts eam in 2006. Since then he played for Eastwood, Penrith, Gordon and now he is back at the 2blues. He is a very good footballer but one who has offered his services to the highest bidder for a while.

this quote is so off the mark and ill informed its almost offensive. Rodney was not paid a cent by Eastwood or Penrith. Gordon owed him match fees and he left there to go to Norths on the promise of being given a genuine opportunity to play 1sts. They neglected to tell him theyd signed AJ Gilbert 24 hours prior. So he left. It is great to see however, that both he and Lamarn are back at the club that made them. And I think its fair to say, that if they wanted cash, they couldve earned more by going to any other club other than Parra.

Slash

Bill Watson (15)

I used the rain as an excuse to not go to North Sydney Oval and stayed home on my nice comfy lounge to watch the match of the day. I cannot for the life of me remember the last time Parra were on. It was great to see.

Berryman looked fantastic. I believe he is the nephew of the former All Black, Norm Berryman. So he has the pedigree if this is true. As for the tmo decision. It was an absolute disgraceful decision. Sickening actually. And sickening in the fact that in this day and age with the technology available that a decision like that could be made. The referee looked stunned and had to double check. Unfortunately given the evidence we all saw on the tv it is hard to draw any other conclusion other than it was a totally biased call by the tmo. Hopefully he'll be off plying his trade in 3rd division subbies next week.

Despite this, Parra were ordinary for the first 60 minutes. They looked camera shy. And I guess its understandable. Probably been 10 years since theyve been on the tv. I thought the Parra 3 in the first half was a terrible scrummager. He was destroyed by the Gordon loosehead. On the other hand though, the Parra loosehead looked very capable. Both at scrum time and around the field. He looks like he's been carved straight out of stone.

Parra 8 was full of running but didnt seem to be at breakdown too often but both Parra flankers looked very capable. Their forward pack was much better than the Gordon forwards but the backs were pedestrian.

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
Both the Maa boys are playing for basic match fees at a club they now see a chance to restablish their careers at. From what we have seen so far they both still have promising careers in front of them. Gee ill informed comments on this site are annoying and disapointing

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
As for the tmo decision. It was an absolute disgraceful decision. Sickening actually. And sickening in the fact that in this day and age with the technology available that a decision like that could be made. The referee looked stunned and had to double check. Unfortunately given the evidence we all saw on the tv it is hard to draw any other conclusion other than it was a totally biased call by the tmo.

This was the worst call I have ever seen. I have a feeling that the TMO thought only to check the grounding, neglecting the fact that the grounding was a meter over the touch line.

N

ned

How did Sam Talakai play in his first grade debut (congratulations), a great achievement for such a young prop.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
this quote is so off the mark and ill informed its almost offensive. Rodney was not paid a cent by Eastwood or Penrith. Gordon owed him match fees and he left there to go to Norths on the promise of being given a genuine opportunity to play 1sts. They neglected to tell him theyd signed AJ Gilbert 24 hours prior. So he left. It is great to see however, that both he and Lamarn are back at the club that made them. And I think its fair to say, that if they wanted cash, they couldve earned more by going to any other club other than Parra.

Can you please explain which part is ill informed. He won the Golden Boot and he played for all the clubs I mentioned. By the highest bidder remark, this does not always have to be in relation to money. As you said he went to Norths for a better opportunity mid season last year.

Slash

Bill Watson (15)
This was the worst call I have ever seen. I have a feeling that the TMO thought only to check the grounding, neglecting the fact that the grounding was a meter over the touch line.

absolutely no excuse though. He was asked try or no try, not 'just check the grounding'? Its no try coz he was 3 feet over the sideline. And the touchy was just as poor

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
absolutely no excuse though. He was asked try or no try, not 'just check the grounding'? Its no try coz he was 3 feet over the sideline. And the touchy was just as poor

Slash I wasn't trying to justify it in any way; it was pathetic.

Slash

Bill Watson (15)
Can you please explain which part is ill informed. He won the Golden Boot and he played for all the clubs I mentioned. By the highest bidder remark, this does not always have to be in relation to money. As you said he went to Norths for a better opportunity mid season last year.

Sure can. Your highest bidder remark infers he went to other clubs for money.................and if you think it doesnt infer that then you have probably been breathing in too much of that sea air off north steyne. Or was it Pittwater high?

Rodney in particular has changed clubs for opportunity, not money in each individual case. Its ironic but also pleasing, that the club who is giving him that genuine opportunity is the club where it all started for him. Good on Parra for looking after him I say.

X

xmarksthespot

I watched the TV game as well and I agree that it was the worst video refereeing decision I have ever seen in both codes...

How one could award that needs to be heavily scrutinised esp when in the end had a very significant impact on the game (momentum, 4 try bonus point to gordon etc etc). Gordon looked good in patched though, but still think they are way off the mark even though they sit in 2nd... think they have a tough run for the rest of the 1st round.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
How did Sam Talakai play in his first grade debut (congratulations), a great achievement for such a young prop.

He aimed up very well, ned, in the scrums and around the park. Penrith have some big units and they play a very direct style, hitting the line hard. Sam was right in the middle of the trench warfare. He is also developing as a very strong technical scrummager. He has a flat back and packs deep.

He came off in the second half with an ankle injury but is expected to be fully fit for the Norths game on Friday night.

Status
Not open for further replies.