• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Shute Shield 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarlUnger

Chris McKivat (8)
Too bad, I was really wanting the Eastwood vs Manly top of the ladder match to be the ABC match this week.

Anyway, here are my tips for this round. Last Rounds: 4/6, 5/6, 4/6
Randwick v Eastern Suburbs
Manly v Eastwood
Souths v Penrith
Northern Suburbs v Gordon
Warringah v Parramatta

A tough week to pick.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
I'll probably go to Rat Park to watch them play Parramatta. If they don't win at least I will be comforted that TPN can get a haircut.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
If they play like they did last week then Taf is due for a hairy.
That said Manly were dreadful. If they continue to play like they have done so far this year then they will not be going anywhere a gf spot. Apart from the 2nd half against Warringah they have been so so at best.
I look forward to being there abd once again dont quite understand why Channel 2s schedule has to be set in stone so early. This should be the tv game this week.

CarlUnger

Chris McKivat (8)
lily said:
I look forward to being there abd once again dont quite understand why Channel 2s schedule has to be set in stone so early. This should be the tv game this week.
Gordon vs Parramatta will be the week after, not sure what to think of that. I guess I'm happy to see Parramatta get some TV time.

thecow

Ward Prentice (10)
gordon beat norths 27-21 in an ok game today, terry preston scoring a cheeky try to win the game for gordon.

2nd grade gordon was hopeless losing 3-14 when norths had 14 players for about 3 quarters of the game after one of north's flankers i think it was was sent off for a spear tackle.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Rats 17 Parramatta 22 Half-time 10 - 15

Well done to the Two Blues. They were good value for the win and played better as a team than the Rats did. In the wet conditions that was all the more important. They caught the Rats napping a couple of times early and were 12-0 up after 12 minutes. Later in the 1st half the Rats were behind only 10-12, but that was as close as they got.

Just about every time they got into the right real estate in the 1st half the Two Blues earned points whereas the Rats were more likely to turn the ball over.

For the home team 8. Pesata was terrific in a losing cause. 9. Josh Holmes was watched like a hawk but he still sniped for a trademark try – and 13. Doyle looked classy.

The Two Blues scrum was too strong for the Rats just about every time and the Rats lineout was no great shakes either. Parra THP Lamarn Ma'a hasn't got any smaller since I saw him last and with 5. James Riddell locking behind him, the Parra scrum wasn't going anywhere it didn't want to. By contrast: the Rats pack was puny and scrummed puny.

Another Parramatta Ma'a, 7. Rodney, is not looking any less like a bowling ball these days, but he had a terrific first half and could have been arrested for all the ball he pinched. He has a huge low arse and was so strong over the ball that the Rats couldn't get him off it. 10. Ioane Sefo, was the surprise for me as I hadn't seen him before. He's played for the Samoa U/20 team and he moved his side around the park well. His stab and chip kicks were full of danger too.

Every club team will be hanging out for their Super players to be available for their team but the Rats probably need Lipman, Gerrard, Sheehan, Cowan, Pyle and Robinson more than other teams need their non-Wallaby Super players.

The Two Blues fans in the southern section of the stand were yahooing as the final Rats charge failed and were talking about TPN's haircut.

But will he get a trim before the Reds' game?

2nd Grade: Rats 16 TB 18
3rd Grade: Rats 22 TB 3
4th Grade: Rats 23 TB 7

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Woodies beat Manly with a chargedown at the end to win 27- 17. They also won 2nds but lost 3rds and 4ths. Referee was once again not up to scratch. At one stage late in the game a Manly player was held by a woodies guy after a kick and then immediately afterwards John GRANT WAS MUGGED AS HE LED THE WAY TO A KICKED BALL. Both times the 3 stooges were in line with the ball.
Well done Eastwood. Also Manly need to stop reading their own press.
Finally Lee, Rodney was one of the best of the field last week. Not surprised at all by today's result in both 1sts and 2nds.
What will Sam say this week?

S

skullring

Rats 17 Parramatta 22 Half-time 10 - 15

The Two Blues scrum was too strong for the Rats just about every time and the Rats lineout was no great shakes either. Parra THP Lamarn Ma'a hasn't got any smaller since I saw him last and with 5. James Riddell locking behind him, the Parra scrum wasn't going anywhere it didn't want to. By contrast: the Rats pack was puny and scrummed puny.

But will he get a trim before the Reds' game?

2nd Grade: Rats 16 TB 18
3rd Grade: Rats 22 TB 3
4th Grade: Rats 23 TB 7
That would be because it wasn't Lamarn, he sat this match out injured.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Spent a frustrating afternoon watching the students play superior wet weather rugby to roll the Pirates. In Colts Is the Pirates spilt plenty of pill, far too much, it was impossible to match Uni when that much advantage is given up. Then the First Grade (Uni hosted all Pirates' grades at Camperdown this arvo, Colts Is preceeded First Grade on Uni Oval 1) had Uni by the short and curlies, up 12-6 with about 10 to go, when the students scored a well-constructed try next to the posts. To rub salt into the wound they kicked a penalty with less than a minute left.

The only consolation for me was a very pleasant time spent chatting to one of the senior gentlemen of the site, Bruce Ross. And I finally met topo!

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
No, it was abit of jersey pulling as opposed to David Dillon and Leon Bott a couple of years ago at Coogee. Youtube it .

C

CoachTB

Lemarn Ma'a failed to make an expected recovery from an ankle injury and joined Dan Yakopo, Alfred Paea and Sapu Hehea on the injured list for this game - Waqa Vulawalu was also on his first game back from illness and played 2nd Grade. Richard Just played THP for Parra and did well. LHP Sione Taula a dominant force at scrum time from all accounts.

And yes - Rodney Ma'a is a brick and getting better with every outing.

Aussie D

Bob Davidson (42)
I watched the TV game where Easts were able to hold off Randwick for the win. I was hoping for an Easts win (lesser of two evils and all that) and was screaming at the TV when the referee alloweda penalty advantage for Randwick to go for 10+ phases in the last minute before Easts pilfered and he gave Randwick another chance. When Easts pilfered for a second time I was happy as I felt they deserved the win. Papworth is a crap commentator who doesn't have an appreciation for forward play in rugby with his constant whinging about mauls.

Slash

Bill Watson (15)
well I went down to Manly Oval to watch the top of the table clash.......and guess what? I got a parking fine.........yet again. And the cricket pitch was a sodden mess. It poured down the whole day til about half time in 1st grade. I felt the match was a disappointment too. As lily mentioned, Manly need to stop reading their own press. Yes they may just be the biggest pack in the comp but Perret owned them at the breakdown. Manly were good at set piece (of which there was plenty) but you wouldnt have known Peterson was out there if there were no lineouts! In the end though, the difference was that Eastwood played to the conditions better. Tyrone Smith came on for Manly and made a difference to their attitude more than anything. Pierre Hola was solid for the Woodies, but he looks like he swallowed a cow in the off season and still cant tackle. Still though, the mind boggles as to why he did not play like that for Parra last year? He ended up in reserve grade there from memory.
Am gonna go to North Sydney Oval this week to see why despite all the hype about Scott Fava's coaching ability and their recruitment drive why they have only managed a win against Penrith. They're playing Souths and from all reports Souths are slowly becoming the French......you never know which side will turn up.

Will definitely be i qing the Gordon v Parra game though. Reckon I'll be able to sell it to some Parra die hard in 10 years! You know, the last time you were on telly type of angle!

Status
Not open for further replies.