• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Shute Shield 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
Any word on how Parramatta (even after two heavy defeats) are looking?
Do they look as though they have improved?
How about their imports, have they added value?

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Just tidying up re the Eastwood-Uni game. I’m still filthy over spending time I couldn’t afford writing a post and having it disappear. Bloody internet.

With all the Uni bashing that goes on here – much worse on other sites of course – I was suspicious of your motives, rugbyvet, given your previous post.

I don’t like trying to write commentary on games particularly if they involve my own team. I don’t believe in crowing if you win or making excuses if you lose. And I don’t like bagging players on the internet – they’re young blokes out there doing their best.

With regard to the game I think that how it turned out was related to the trial which the two teams played at Milner a couple of weeks previously. The very young Uni team took it to the more experienced Eastwood, being very aggressive at the breakdown and across the park for the full 80 minutes. I think they surprised Eastwood that day, but the Hillsongers came to Uni on Saturday well prepared for more of the same.

But the Uni side had at least half a dozen changes arising from a couple of injuries to key players and Super and Aussie Sevens players being available. Eastwood were much more organised and committed at the breakdown.

I thought that the Eastwood tighthead, Plokstys, gave Tilse and then Yanuyanutawa a hard time in the scrums until Jerry worked him out. The Uni scrum came good early in the second half with Uni camped on the enemy goal line for an extended period and showing real dominance. During this time referee McGregor gave a succession of penalties for the scrum and other infringements but didn’t feel obliged to take more drastic action.

But the game was virtually over at half time with Eastwood IIRR having already scored four tries to nil and leading 27-3. The Eastwood backs found holes in the usually rock solid Uni defence with the 12 whom I was told was Cameron Mitchell – although he was listed to play 14 – being particularly incisive. I thought that the Uni 10, Bernard Foley, who is an outstanding prospect, inclined too much to the Sevens style of play. In general there was far too much injudicious and low percentage kicking and a tendency to go wide too soon.

Probably a good wake up call for Uni and a very solid performance from Eastwood.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Huh? Obviously I'm out of the loop here - what's the connection between Hillsong and Eastwood?

Geographical, Rob. they're in your catchment area.

Damn, I thought you'd managed to get away with it, Bruce.

Not quite, topo. I don't even think I can claim authorship of the tag. I have the feeling that someone coined it quite a while back. Perhaps lily?

G

Grandstand

Bruce

Do you see Uni making any changes for the game this weekend against Easts? Their seconds seemed to perform well against the Woods.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Yes, Grandstand, I'd be surprised if there aren't a few changes. Todd Louden is the sort of coach who expects his players to deliver on the game plan. Easts will be another testing game.

O

Old Timer

Interesting, on google maps, the distance from TG Millner to University Oval or Hillsong is nigh on identical. Wouldn't have put Eastwood in Uni's catchment area, though...

Only for talented juniors! (don't know how to the smile icon)

Rob42

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Fair enough Bruce - although Parramatta at one stage were talking about taking games to Castle Hill, just down the road from Hillsong. I thought maybe Gloria Jeans was the Woodies' new sponsor or something.

T

The Gunsmith

Anyone know who is this weeks match of the round?
Interested to see if Penrith can get up this week...another close loss last week against Gordon.

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
Anyone know who is this weeks match of the round?
Interested to see if Penrith can get up this week...another close loss last week against Gordon.

@The_Gunsmith I think you will find ABC's Match of the round this week is the Eastwood Rugby Club up against the Galloping Greens from Coogee.

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
Yes, Grandstand, I'd be surprised if there aren't a few changes. Todd Louden is the sort of coach who expects his players to deliver on the game plan. Easts will be another testing game.

Yeh, he has already moved Kroll from 10 to fullback, he'll be in 2's soon enough

CarlUnger

Chris McKivat (8)
Tips for round 3.
Record so far: 4/6, 5/6

Eastwood vs Randwick
West Harbour vs Souths
Penrith vs Northern Suburbs
Eastern Suburbs vs Sydney Uni
Manly vs Parramatta
Gordon vs Warringah

Slash

Bill Watson (15)
Tips for round 3.
Record so far: 4/6, 5/6

Eastwood vs Randwick
West Harbour vs Souths
Penrith vs Northern Suburbs
Eastern Suburbs vs Sydney Uni
Manly vs Parramatta
Gordon vs Warringah

I agree with the first 2 and last 2, but I reckon the 'Riff will get up over Norths and Easts will knock Uni off.

Norths are garbage this year

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Eastwood, Souths, Penrith, Easts, Manly and Gordon.
Go the upsets, I will either be a king or a fool come Saturday evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.