• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Scott Higginbotham - Liverpool kiss on McCaw

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Muttonbird

The sad thing is, muttonbrain, that every single person on this forum - whether Aussie or Kiwi or whatever - knows that if the teams were reversed you'd be telling us there was nothing in it, and we were all whingeing about nothing.

I'll ignore that you are playing the man here.

The topic is Higgenbum's cheap shot, it is not some mythical All Black's cheap shot. You have gone off topic Scarfman.

Whether this Australian targetting of McCaw is coming from the top (Deans) or two, isolated boofheads (Quade and Higgers), the trend is worrying and surely the IRB/SNAZAR needs to make an example.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
I'll ignore that you are playing the man here.

The topic is Higgenbum's cheap shot, not some mythical All Black's cheap shot. You have gone off topic Scarfman.

Whether this Australian targetting of McCaw is coming from the top (Deans) or two, isolated boofhead incidents (Quade and Higgers), the trend is worrying and surely the IRB/SNAZAR needs to make an example.

Kinda gotta just deal with it MB. He annoys the shit out of them, they get worked up, they throw a cheap shot - and as I (& Gagger now I've read the the whole thread) suggested, it works, so you can't expect it to stop.

If an AB back row had got a cheap shot on Larkham during 1999-2002 which put him off his game and helped us beat the Wallabies, would I have been all high and mighty and roundly criticised him? Or would I have been quietly satisfied that it was working...

Facing the truth, it's probably the latter.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
The recent few posts on this tread are starting to get a little silly.

When does Higgers go before the Judiciary Officer, and who is it?

M

Muttonbird

If it's not a long bow drawn to suggest the ABs always lose when McCaw is gouged, kneed, and headbutted and that it's a legitimate tactic, then the IRB/SNAZAR needs to look at it harder and send a message to Higgenrectum and all those that would follow.

T

Train Without a Station

Whether this Australian targetting of McCaw is coming from the top (Deans) or two, isolated boofheads (Quade and Higgers), the trend is worrying and surely the IRB/SNAZAR needs to make an example.

Let's not get carried away with making examples of people. The guy has obviously committed an act of foul play and both should and will be punished accordingly. Despite saying I thought it was good to see, I agree he should be suspended as he has clearly broken the rules of the game and there is no excuse for that.

Why should he cop the brunt of it because of what Greyling, Quade, Heaslip or anybody else has done though? Charge the crime on it's own merit. Etzebeth got 2 weeks, he deserves 2-4 weeks also. If they consider if to be a harsher crime than Eztebeth, then give him more, but not because of other's previous indiscretions against the victim.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
The Judicial Officers employed by SANZAR are fairly experienced legal professionals, whose judgements are publicly posted for all to see.

There is very little opportunity for them pursue personal vendettas against a player. Their decisions are reviewed by other experienced legal professionals to ensure that the decisions are impartial, and based on facts and objective evidence.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Jeez, everyone, cool down.
Muttonbird - you've made your point, and I agree with some of it. But let it go. Given that the Reds have used tactics to get up McCaw's nose (as have NZ teams), bit much to say it is sanctioned by the ARU and Deans.
Scarfy - don't stir the pot that was simmering enough without it. You're not helping.
I'm sure we'll all have something interesting to discuss after the judiciary, one way or another.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
I think what will hurt Higgers is that he's being charged for 2 offences, so if he gets a light sentence on first one because he got a clean record he certainly won't on second charge.
And by the way if he gets 6 weeks I'll think he deserves it, not because he hit mcCaw or an All Black, but just because he was so dumb!! (and I said the same about the Saffa that got Sharpie)

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Returning to subject, Sully I am fairly sure Higgers has been hit with 2 seperate charges, can't remember where to go and find it, and I think that is correct decision.
Sorry jusy saw nzzp reply

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
If an AB back row had got a cheap shot on Larkham during 1999-2002 which put him off his game and helped us beat the Wallabies, would I have been all high and mighty and roundly criticised him? Or would I have been quietly satisfied that it was working..

What's this "if" business?
I well recall the opening game of a season, Brumbies v Blues in which from the first ruck/maul there were 2 Blues involved in a dastardly late tackle following a clearing kick from Larkham. premeditated as a result of his previous season's form.
its being going on since Pontius Pilate went the niggle on the Apostles - its just harder to get away with these days.
That means that the line will be too easily crossed to make it a sustainable tactic, i think, and we need to be in the game for it to have any effect.
You guys have forgotten the tricks you get up to when your opponents are actually threatening you. See Mealamu head butt above.
Niggle is all part of the game - but it was stupid the way it went down here.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Hell IS, I agree , good opposition players were alsway niggled when I played, of course by others in my team, and I don't care if there a bit of holding Richie-Pocock-Read back ,or accidental shouder etc in ruck, running into him or any other player, but I like to think we (well teamates of course) and most players are a little smarter than the stupidity of Higgers as you rightly pointed out.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
ARU media release said:
Qantas Wallabies forward, Scott Higginbotham, has this evening accepted a two week suspension on both counts after pleading guilty to two counts of striking All Blacks captain, Richie McCaw, with the knee and the head.

Higginbotham was cited twice under Law 10.4(a) Punching or Striking, with both incidents occurring in the 26th minute of Saturday night’s third and final Bledisloe Cup Test in Brisbane.

Duty Judicial Officer, Jannie Lubbe SC, assessed the case and having reviewed the incident, the reports by the referee and Citing Commissioner as well as a medical report from the All Blacks team doctor and submissions by the legal representatives of the Player, Mr Lubbe SC concluded:

1. Both incident are categorised as low entry level. The hitting with the knee was more of a bump than a hit. The head butt was reckless and not executed with much force. McCaw was not injured and play resumed.

2. The Player has an exemplary disciplinary record and at the age of 26 it was his first appearance before a Judiciary.

3. The Player pleaded guilty and placed on record that he and McCaw shook hands after the match and that there are no ill feelings.

As such Higginbotham has been suspended for two weeks on both counts from all forms of the game.

Mr Lubbe SC determined a sanction of two weeks on both counts to run concurrently, which was agreed upon by Higginbotham, to be appropriate.

To make the sanction effective Higginbotham will miss the next two Qantas Wallabies Test matches that will be played on 10 and 17 November.

Accordingly, Higginbotham is suspended from all forms of Rugby from 20 October up to and including 17 November.

T

Train Without a Station

Just to follow up IS' sentiment, does nobody else find it ironic that people are up in arms about a backrower copping a cheap shot(s) considering historically backrowers have been dishing out cheap shots for years from/in all countries?

Status
Not open for further replies.