• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Scott Higginbotham - Liverpool kiss on McCaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACR

Desmond Connor (43)
Technically, i think you are correct.
But, as always, there's another view of it: McCaw, in my view was worthy of a penalty. I think Joubert thought so too but, and its a big but riddled with conspiracy theories, i think Joubert was cool enough to remember that he had just specifically cautioned McCaw, in his own right, so he toned it down to a general warning for the Blacks, otherwise Lord Richie would have had to sit down for 10.
That is how i saw it in real time - replays (and any number of other things) may prove me wrong.

When did Joubert specifically caution McCaw? I thought he just gave them a team warning after three repeated infringements. Then Woodcock rightfully got the flick ten minutes later.

McCaw sure was being a pest at that specific ruck but Kevin Mealamu was the one that was penalised. Of course, everyone always focuses on McCaw though. Tunnel Syndrome. Maybe if Nathan Sharpe and Scott Higginbotham, two of the biggest men on the field, didn't miserably fail to clear that ruck Australia might have had some quick ball and all this tantalising niggle would never have happened. ;)

On Kevin Mealamu's headbutt, hearing Steve Hansen go into denial mode on that one was painful to the mind. It was pretty bloody obvious. He's busy making an ass of himself again this week. At least Ted waited until after he had finished the job to do that.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
have watched the replay now a heap of times and, yes higgers was really really really dumb, but was the knee in the face made to look worse by mccaw grabbing higgers leg and lifting it up and over.

Anyway it was dumb, but this is funny:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...-on-richie-mccaw/story-e6frg7v6-1226500298171

Besides, the item thrust under McCaw's nose for his signature wasn't your standard piece of rugby memorabilia. It was instead a beer stubby holder, one on which was printed the line: "I'm not an alcoholic. I only drink when McCaw's offside."
The All Blacks captain looked at it suspiciously but then burst into a wide grin and happily scrawled his name on it. Expect to see it posted on eBay some time soon. And no, it wasn't me who boldly went where no Australian journo had been before.
What type of an organisation would have journalists who would do that.

Sent using Tapatalk

D

daz

Anyway it was dumb, but this is funny:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...-on-richie-mccaw/story-e6frg7v6-1226500298171

Besides, the item thrust under McCaw's nose for his signature wasn't your standard piece of rugby memorabilia. It was instead a beer stubby holder, one on which was printed the line: "I'm not an alcoholic. I only drink when McCaw's offside."
The All Blacks captain looked at it suspiciously but then burst into a wide grin and happily scrawled his name on it. Expect to see it posted on eBay some time soon. And no, it wasn't me who boldly went where no Australian journo had been before.

That is simply sensational. Balls the size of coconuts, that man!

And yeah, I'll say it; fantastic bit of good natured humour from McCaw. By gee I do respect that cheating prick like no other.

:D

M

Muttonbird

In terms of standardised guidance for Illegal and/or Foul Play and Misconduct, IRB Regulation 17 applies, and is used by nearly all judiciaries to assist to determine sanctions for citings.

Judiciary Entry Point Based on Scale of Seriousness of the Player’s conduct, which constitutes the offending.

Law No 10.4(a) Striking with knee
Lower End 3 weeks, Mid Range 8 weeks, Top End 12+ weeks, Maximum Sanction 52 weeks

Law No 10.4(a) Striking with head
Lower End 4 weeks, Mid Range 8 weeks, Top End 12+ weeks, Maximum Sanction 104 weeks

Yep, 156 weeks sounds about right.

M

Muttonbird

Judging by ABC Grandstand he's only been charged with the head butt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Geez, if that's the case the the message being sent is it's ok to knee McCaw in the head at any time. Quade's done it, now Higgenbum, neither held accountable.

M

Muttonbird

Richie's now known for two things

1) Being one of, if not the most important players in the world

2) Being rattle-able through niggle

If you know you can just dislodge 5% of the "best player in world ever bro"'s attention, you're mad not to do it. Reds have been doing it for the last couple of years. Beau Robinson did a corking job at the Super final last year - probably the best role he played. Watching it live and not at the mercy of the ball following cameras, you saw so much more.

That Quade and now Higgers - both Reds - have followed through on it isn't surprising. Higgers needs to do it better though - a weak headbutt is just dumb.

Interestingly when Sharpie took that "cheap shot" from Etzebeth, I don't remember many of us around here carrying on like pork chops over it. In fact, a few gave the big man crap over it.

The mods now endorsing foul play and cheap-shots. Bookmarked.

T

Train Without a Station

Muttonbird, I think I copped a warning for the same sentiment actually.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
The sad thing is, muttonbrain, that every single person on this forum - whether Aussie or Kiwi or whatever - knows that if the teams were reversed you'd be telling us there was nothing in it, and we were all whingeing about nothing.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
I thought Joubert was pretty good in all that overtime. He seemed to be mindful of calling a marginal penalty to give the game one way or another. He was vocal and clear to previous efforts of players falling off feet, he allowed a few Kiwis a little extra time to get out of the way when they came down on the wrong side, and he gave Oz a bit of latitude down the other end leading up to the DG attempt (in the same way he did at the other end with Oz players on the wrong side given time to make an effort to clear). Marvellous feel for the game at that stage I thought. He had clearly warned the Wallabies, then Kepu most obviously did not heed it.
He let a team try to win it, rather than making a team lose it.

Nomination for post of the year, explaining why Joubert should be nominated for referee of the year.

As for the cheap shot - ja, whatever. You guys didn't lose, and in the last few times there have been cheapshots on GOAT by Aussie, Aussie hasn't lost (QC (Quade Cooper) in HK, QC (Quade Cooper) in Suncorp). Maybe it works?

Status
Not open for further replies.