• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Scott Higginbotham - Liverpool kiss on McCaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
How many weeks did etzebeth get for his headbutt?

I would give higgers the same amount.

I've never been a fan of the headbutt, but I liked that he was up for a bit of niggle.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
2 weeks which amounted to 1 game

If Higgers gets 2 weeks does that mean he's free to play on 10th November (our next game?)

Lyall

Allen Oxlade (6)
I think it would be fair if Higgers gets two to four weeks.

An interesting year or so for him if this goes down the same path as Quade. Will this actually take the heat off Quade a little bit from the New Zealand public?

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I think it would be fair if Higgers gets two to four weeks.

An interesting year or so for him if this goes down the same path as Quade. Will this actually take the heat off Quade a little bit from the New Zealand public?
Oh, if the comments by kiwis on the All Blacks facebook page is anything to go by, Higgers is certainly at the forefront of their minds, and Quade not so.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I not sure where Richie has been using media enforcer, I know he talked about Cooper in his book, as you would expect,in a book, but not sure where he he went to media about other incidents, but no doubt you can help me out.

Anything you openly put into the public sphere of knowledge is 'media' by technical definition. But from your definition (which is probably a more common one) of media as the press his Cooper remarks were reported anyway so it's much the same.

Obviously he's already commented on Higgers and the French GF directly to the media. There's also been brief snaps about Cooper in the past to directly to the traditional media.

There's no doubt in my mind he's happy to heap shit on blokes he doesn't care for through the media, he's obviously too intelligent to be lead to say things he doesn't mean like some are silly enough to do.

Good bloke but like I said, this stuff's better discussed confidentially to tribunals or behind closed doors to mates/colleagues.

True. Spotted it only after I posted. Still quite amazed that someone could have thoguht it was accidental.

Me? Look for a fight? Never. ;)

I saw it live at a pub with Kiwi mates and only saw the replay on Youtube after the post. Enough said?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Oh, if the comments by kiwis on the All Blacks facebook page is anything to go by, Higgers is certainly at the forefront of their minds, and Quade not so.

That just proves their preciousness. We don't act the same way to Burger.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
No, you just bring it up at every opportunity even when the guy pretty much hasn't played for 12 months.

I'm just trying to prove a point, I don't hold anything against Burger, I firmly believe what happens on the field is between the players and stays on the field. If I met him on the street I'd ask for an autograph.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
I'm just trying to prove a point, I don't hold anything against Burger, I firmly believe what happens on the field is between the players and stays on the field. If I met him on the street I'd ask for an autograph.
Fair enough. I'm sure you could say the same about most Kiwi's and Higgers. Making a judgement on how 'precious' they are the day after a game where there was an incident probably isn't the most accurate gauge. I'm sure most will be forgotten by the next time Higgers plays the AB's, but no doubt there will still be a few idiots who might boo him.

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
Just.breathtaking.
I'm not condoning what Higginbotham did, but you can't say he was trying to hurt McCaw. This wasn't like Mealamu on O'Driscoll or anything.

It was dumb as dog shit, but the intent was to annoy him not hurt him. As for the suspension lottery I pick 7 weeks.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Richie's now known for two things

1) Being one of, if not the most important players in the world

2) Being rattle-able through niggle

If you know you can just dislodge 5% of the "best player in world ever bro"'s attention, you're mad not to do it. Reds have been doing it for the last couple of years. Beau Robinson did a corking job at the Super final last year - probably the best role he played. Watching it live and not at the mercy of the ball following cameras, you saw so much more.

That Quade and now Higgers - both Reds - have followed through on it isn't surprising. Higgers needs to do it better though - a weak headbutt is just dumb.

Interestingly when Sharpie took that "cheap shot" from Etzebeth, I don't remember many of us around here carrying on like pork chops over it. In fact, a few gave the big man crap over it.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
What Gagger??? You don't remember the comments over Etzebeth incident?? I would get to a doctor man,you obviously been concussed and losing your memory!!!
But seriously, I agree, if you think you can upset a top player like Richie ,you do it, just if it worth risking playing the game with only 14 men is the question. I think most people in here are having a go at Higgers (well I am) for being so stupid as to do it like this as it shows he a; doesn't have a lot of savvy on how you upset top player, and b;when reverting to dirty tactics he not hard enough to carry them out. If you want to hassle players Sharpie is the man to watch, he just walks into someone as he goes into lineout (whitelock was a classic case on saturday) and then a little push and shove from both players, thats how you do it, noone gets penalised ,but make sure your opposition knows you are there.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I'm struggling to see how McCaw incited Higgers to walk into his head with the knee then headbutt him. We had the penalty, the ref had dealt with things. Honestly, if it bothers the players that he's on the wrong side, move him legally by cleaning out. This stuff never works out well for us, that I can see.

I agree this was stupid, but I also wonder how Joubert could justify not giving McCaw a yellow in the first half. He was penalised or could have been penalised every five minutes. He was offside by at least 1m at two consecutive rucks when we pressured their line and entered so many rucks from the side it wasn't funny. Some was so blatant I could believe what I was seeing!

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
How would the discussion be going if Higgers had been spotted by the touchie and given a red card? A stupid act.

He may have had a spotless past but after today he will almost certainly have a record, which could hurt him in the future.

I used to encourage my boys to get stuck into the opposition when we had crunch games against tough teams. Don't back down, ruck them off the ball etc. But I stopped that after the thicker players thought they could commit acts of foul play and give away stupid penalties. There was always someone who would run up and stomp or throw a punch right in front of the ref. There is a difference between playing hard and not backing down, and just being a cheap shot boofhead. Some players just need it explained, preferably in small words and maybe a diagram or two.
It will be interesting how it goes today. I think 3 weeks minimum.

I thought it was a nail biter of a game and loved it. The tension to the last second was awesome. Now I look forward to the anzacs dominating the northern hemisphere.
Both teams will be the better for a tough battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.