• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Scott Higginbotham - Liverpool kiss on McCaw

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Ian

Unfortunately, this is the same justification as 'she was dressed like a slut so she put herself in a position to get raped'. No one deserves attacks to the head, regardless of how they play the game.
Yep, saying Richie is a cheat is Exactly like saying girls dressed poorly should get raped.. I like how you made that connection there, tasteful!

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
That's actually a legitimate position to hold, MR.

Many Kiwis seem to hold the position that, sure, Sir GOAT pushes the laws, but you'd be an idiot if you didn't; and at the same time, hold the position that trying to niggle Sir GOAT off his game is a crime against humanity. Hey, if it works, then you'd be an idiot if you didn't.

If McCaw is going to put himself where he shouldn't be, then he must be aware of the risks. And I reckon he is more capable of copping a few knocks than most of his admirers.
And I agree he is capable of handling knocks, and to be quite honest I agree about giving a player a bit of niggle, but any really good player should be getting niggled a bit to put him off, but with headbutts (even that weak one)??
Actually I see niggle a little like sledging in cricket , if you can put someone off game well.........

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)

Many Kiwis seem to hold the position that, sure, Sir GOAT pushes the laws, but you'd be an idiot if you didn't; and at the same time, hold the position that trying to niggle Sir GOAT off his game is a crime against humanity. Hey, if it works, then you'd be an idiot if you didn't.

If McCaw is going to put himself where he shouldn't be, then he must be aware of the risks. And I reckon he is more capable of copping a few knocks than most of his admirers.

Yes and no. I advocate niggling opposition players, I advocate that if your in the wrong side, you may get dealt to, but I don't advocate going for the head. Although personally I think Higgenbotham was hardly going for him to injure.

I just LOVE how precious kiwis get about richie mccaw, makes it so much more enjoyable winding them up.

But seriously, Richie is a cheat, and he will continue to get thumped until he changes his ways.

Great contribution to the thread Ian, fantastic stuff. All you needed to say was something about respect, and your post would have it all.

D

daz

Settle down guys. This has gone from friendly banter to hostility very quickly, so we need to just adjust our hackles and relax.

Ian, your posts here are approaching trolling status and you seem to enjoy winding people up, so please tone it down or I will have to do it for you.

And let's get this incident comparison to sexual assault stopped right now.

I

Ian

Settle down guys. This has gone from friendly banter to hostility very quickly, so we need to just adjust our hackles and relax.

Ian, your posts here are approaching trolling status and you seem to enjoy winding people up, so please tone it down or I will have to do it for you.

Fair call, apologies for offending any folk out there, I do enjoy the banter and winding up of each other, and I do try to keep the banter targeted at the blokes on the pitch.

If any of my post truley offend you, just write it off as another one eyed wallabies supporter. I am happy to be ignored.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

I see a difference between "niggling" and cheap shots.

Hold the guy on the bottom of rucks clean him out hard, but don't use a slimey knee or a girly head butt

Richie (or any player) pushing the laws doesn't give any opposition the right to fire cheap shots at him.

As for Higgers, more work on technique thanks, just get low and drive under the shoulders and away, and less stupid stuff

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There's about 10 incidents in the total game where the Chiefs players attack McCaw off the ball. Commentators eventually discuss whether it's a direct ploy to put McCaw off his game. His own countrymen and fellow ABs know you can rattle him with cheap shots. Oh and they won..

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
A mate of mine at work follows mainly american sports, and loves reading american sports websites. He just mentioned a guy who plays for the Miami Dolphins in the NFL and I couldn't help but laugh!

The article is called "20 SCARIEST PLAYERS, PHYSICAL FREAKS AND REAL-LIFE MONSTERS IN THE NFL"
The guy in question didn't make the Top 10 but is mentioned as an up and comer. The resemblances to Sir Richie McCaw were quite amusing. To start with, the guys name is Richie Incognito! :D And I love how the article describes him:
The former Saints lineman is repeatedly accused for dirty play. He doesn't seem to mind.

There's nothing more about this guy in it but the article is here: http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/a...ks_and_real_life_monsters_in_the_nfl/12003619

M

Muttonbird

Hold the guy on the bottom of rucks clean him out hard, but don't use a slimey knee or a girly head butt

Richie (or any player) pushing the laws doesn't give any opposition the right to fire cheap shots at him.

As for Higgers, more work on technique thanks, just get low and drive under the shoulders and away, and less stupid stuff

Excellent post.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
There's about 10 incidents in the total game where the Chiefs players attack McCaw off the ball. Commentators eventually discuss whether it's a direct ploy to put McCaw off his game. His own countrymen and fellow ABs know you can rattle him with cheap shots. Oh and they won..

Just to emphasise your last sentence...."OH AND THEY WON" !!!
I remember watching this game and was very impressed by the Chiefs attitude and (controlled, most of the time!) aggression.
They really took the game up to the Crusaders and Richie struggled to exercise his usual lead from the front influence.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I remember watching this game and was very impressed by the Chiefs attitude and (controlled, most of the time!) aggression.

Really? I remember thinking, "how is the ref letting them play the game like this?"

Power to them for getting away with it but they were being pricks in an obvious joint effort. They were lucky they were aloud to do so.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)

I am sorry if my post escalated things. I wasn't comparing the knee/head but to sexual assault, I wanted to point out the illogicality of the same defence to the conduct, that is he/she was asking for trouble as a defence to Higginbotham's stupidity. Perhaps I should have phrased it differently.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)

I wish I had put it that way. I agree 100%.

If McCaw is on the wrong side of the ruck, legitimately put the shoulder into his kidneys. A sneaky knee and headbutt is just weak.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
What's the difference between a "cheap shot", "niggle" and "the rough and rumble of the game"?

Seems to me any act on RM that's not a straight out tackle is a Cheap Shot in Kiwi eyes - such is the MCawe.

A cheap shot would be a gutless king hit, or what Richard Loe did to Paul Corozza's nose. There is intent to hurt, delivered in a cowardly way.

Anything else then that isn't intended to hurt, but rather wind up is Niggle. This is what Higgers did - those whining about 'attacking the head' need to sip a muggachino of concrete.

My beef with Higgers is the the headbutt. It was dumb niggle as in the end he's come off worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.