• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC Wallabies v USA - 23 September

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Three 13in the squad and the bloke you want to start is the one who has never played there.

Sent using Tapatalk

If one has to play on the wing, and one is returning from injury and another is out of form in his last 2 games and offers little in attack. Yes.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Wow and here was me thinking McCabe was a winger/fullback.

Sent using Tapatalk

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Settle Gretel, I did say it was the team I would like to see start. Not the team that everyone must agree on...

darkhorse

Darby Loudon (17)
Horne to the wing for JOC (James O'Connor) and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) back to outside. It won't happen but I'd love to see it.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I'm banging my head against a brick wall. Why, because almost every post in this thread is about how we should "fix" the back line. Because if time magically reversed itself and we could play Ireland again tinkering with the back line would somehow magically allow us to win?!?!

Get real people, if we get the same forward performance again not even the best backline in the world will win it.

While I agree with this, the shame the pigs endured after Saturday will have them fired right up. If the Saturday starters are picked they will be fighting for redemption. If there are changes, those players will be fighting to prove they are worthy of starting spots. I feel sorry for the USA (a bit), they will walk out into a firestorm.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Except that Ireland vs USA was fairly close and the USA defended very well. I guess we probably have more attacking penetration in the backs than Ireland (when we arent being smashed in the forwards) so we should be able to pile on more points than them. I wouldnt risk a second string side though when a BP could be vital. Rest only the injured v USA then ring in the changes for Russia..........

If by some miracle Italy beats Ireland, then a bonus point against Russia gets us home (if I understand the points situation aright) and Ireland are third. While Ireland will very likely beat Italy, if they don't then we are through in top spot. So, we only have to win against the USA and we can afford to experiment. Experimenting vs Russia will prove nothing, they aren't a hard enough test. So this weekend is the game to try out a few alternatives in both forwards and backs. It depends on whether Robbie has the balls....

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
McCabe's done nothing to be dropped. He makes his tackles, he makes meters with the limited ball he gets and he's done the job asked of him. What more does he have to do?

To all the doubters who say he can't contain Nonu/Smith like Barnes could, may I ask of a single instance when Barnes has shut them down as well as McCabe did in the last Bledisloe? Because I don't remember it ever happening.

Garryowen

Larry Dwyer (12)
McCabe's done nothing to be dropped. He makes his tackles, he makes meters with the limited ball he gets and he's done the job asked of him. What more does he have to do?

To all the doubters who say he can't contain Nonu/Smith like Barnes could, may I ask of a single instance when Barnes has shut them down as well as McCabe did in the last Bledisloe? Because I don't remember it ever happening.

Pretty sure both Nonu and Smith scored tries in that much.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If by some miracle Italy beats Ireland, then a bonus point against Russia gets us home (if I understand the points situation aright) and Ireland are third. While Ireland will very likely beat Italy, if they don't then we are through in top spot. So, we only have to win against the USA and we can afford to experiment. Experimenting vs Russia will prove nothing, they aren't a hard enough test. So this weekend is the game to try out a few alternatives in both forwards and backs. It depends on whether Robbie has the balls....

Australia needs bonus point wins against the USA and Russia if they want to guarantee themselves a finals spot.

While it is a faint possibility, there is still the opportunity for the Wallabies to finish third in their pool.

I would not be taking the USA too lightly. A strong defensive effort could limit Australia's ability to pile on the points.

rotary hoe

Peter Burge (5)
I'm pretty sure Pat McCabe can defend himself...

*boom tish*

Aye,you taught the boy to tackle,I'll give you that and you cannot fault his ticker.Just a shame he runs like an ostrich,can't pass,kick,sidestep,swerve,set up a supporting player,take the pressure of his fly half.Etc.You know,the stuff you would like an inside centre to do.

nathan

Watty Friend (18)
Putting my money on the side as follows. 5/2 - 4/3 split.

1. James Slipper
2. Tatafu Polota-Nau
3. Salesi Ma'afu
4. Nathan Sharpe
5. James Horwill
6. Scott Higginbotham
7. Ben McCalman
8. Wycliff Palu
9. Will Genia
10. Quade Cooper
11. Drew Mitchell
12. Berrick Barnes
13. Rob Horne
14. Adam Ashley-Cooper
15. Kurtley Beale

16. Sekope Kepu
17. Saia Fainga'a
18. Rob Simmons
19. Radike Samo
20. Luke Burgess/Rocky Elsom
21. Anthony Fainga'a/Luke Burgess
22. Pat McCabe

Pat McCabe covers everything except 9 and 10 and Lee's been noted saying that he's not been half bad at 10 in club games so a stretch there as well. Given the scrum selections you really need a tighthead lock behind Salesi Ma'afu and Vickerman needs a rest, leaving Horwill as our option. I'd like to see Slipper and TPN given more game time, with Ma'afu coming off after 50 minutes or so to let Kepu scrum it out with TPN and Slipper, our two bench players for the later part of the tournament.

Hopefully this gives Sharpe a bit of time to push his case for the bench spot over Simmo.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think Burgess will start, Horwill will be rested and Sharpe will be captain.

Aside from that, I think that will be the team.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I would play it differently, I would go with this lot and stack the bench, and only use the bench if it is going to shit. Put these guys under some pressure and see if they perform.

We really shouldn't have a lot of trouble with the USA, if we do we should just go home

1. James Slipper
2. Tatafu Polota-Nau
3. Salesi Ma'afu
4. Nathan Sharpe
5. Rob Simmons
6. Scott Higginbotham
7. Ben McCalman
8. Wycliff Palu
9. Luke Burgess
10. Berrick Barnes
11. Drew Mitchell
12. Anthony Fainga'a
13. Rob Horne
14. Pat McCabe
15. Adam Ashley-Cooper

16. Sekope Kepu
17. Stephen Moore
18. Dan Vickerman
19. Rocky Elsom
20. Will Genia
21. Quade Cooper
22 Kurtley Beale

Game plan?

Play rugby in their half, play field position and require backs working hard to chase and put on pressure.
Get back to decent line speed and attack the breakdown

The challenge is with Pocock we won't be able to play with a lot of width, so I stuck Fainga'a in midfield for his work attacking the ball

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)

im with you on mccabe holding his spot.
but the sydney bledisloe in 2008 with gits at 5/8 and barnes at inside centre hit nonu low the second he toughed the ball all game> they shut him down better than any game ive ever seen
think we won 34-19 or omething
i might have the games mixed up> but barnes has defos shut down nonu in tests >>>super rugby its been a bit one sided thou

Status
Not open for further replies.