• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC Wallabies v USA - 23 September

Status
Not open for further replies.

aussie1st

Alfred Walker (16)
Has anyone uttered the "G" word yet in light of the backline injuries? What are the chances the Robbie will bring Giteau over? Don't get me wrong, I hate seeing the boys get injured and it is a real concern should they keep pulling up lame as we are fast running out of options.....that said, I do find a small degree of comfort in that Robbie's hand is being forced into selecting what I believe to be our best "starting" backline and the one that I have wanted to see get a run together for a little while now ie:.....

9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Ioane / Mitchell
12. Barnes (surely his kicking last night has secured him a start from here on in)
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. JOC (James O'Connor)
15. Beale

The question for me is, who will be the other back on the bench assuming Ioane or Mitchell make up one spot in a Robbie's favored 5/2 split? I am putting my money on Giteau should A.Fingers be forced to take a break for 2-3 weeks. Don't get me wrong, I am not one of those who thought Giteau's omission from the WC squad was a bad move, but I am hard pressed to find a reason why any others would be bought in over him. I am a fan of Tapuai but feel that experience, composure and the ability to cover multiple backline positions nudges Giteau ahead of Taps, Carter and co.
If I was Beau Robinson, I would call one of my Reds mates and find out where the team was staying, book my flight to NZ and go knock on Robbie’s hotel room door – bags in hand, and tell him I was ready to rock!!!!

If Ioane is fit and Mitchell likewise then I'll have both as our starting wingers. Isn't the need for JOC (James O'Connor) without his goal kicking and he is the ideal bench player if we are going for the 5/2 split.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I missed the game last night - had to go out. Just watching it now.

I don't really understand the value in experimenting so much with the backline. I know there were injuries, but before the injuries unfolded, what were the coaching staff looking for? How can we be at this point and still undecided whether McCabe is the right option, whether AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is a wing or a centre, whether Ant is inside or outside. So many things still seem up in the air. If there's a good thing about the injuries, it closes down options and makes the 1st XV a bit more predictable and stable.

Last point - play him at wing, openside flanker, wherever, but Barnes has to play in order to kick goals. He's a mile ahead of anyone else.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
I have posted elsewhere that I don't think they were undecided Scarf. They were always going to give the bench a run in the last two games. It was the pundits here who didn't agree with the incumbents that saw all the discussion. All about the backs and all on the basis of a forwards loss.

Academic now. Deans and co have some serious decision making and a couple of phone calls to make.

B

Blackjack

I was just watching the post match interview and i could help but wonder, is Deans incredibly shy or thick? His comments aren't particularly insightful despite him mulling over his answers for an age. Completely standard questions catch him off guard. He's worse than a mungo..

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Quick thoughts after watching the replay:

Barnes at flyhalf looked good. I know some people see him as an inside centre, but I think after that performance we have to seriously consider him for flyhalf.

Slick passing. Good kicking. He can tackle. No brainfarts.

Some people are saying Horne played well but I didn't see any improvement from McCabe. His passing wasn't that great, got smashed when he tried to hit it up, and his main highlight was being gifted a break from Palu who did play well in his first starting match back.

Moore was solid on his return.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) craves space.

Still have concerns about our forwards. Weren't too convincing.

Sharpe has to be back in our best 22.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
7's cover for Ant.
Agree, based on recent performances he was on the outs anyways and probably won't be starting again, bar more injuries.

For horne, you've got to bring in Centre cover. Turner won't do and preferrably someone with 13 experience. at the moment you've j ust got AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Digby if Ant and Horne are out. Mccabe too i suppose but his shoulder must be a bit worrying. once they pop they don't stop!

Has he popped it before...I've got a feeling he might have.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Deans waits for medical advice
September 24, 2011 - 10:50AM

Vote

WELLINGTON: Australian coach Robbie Deans was left ruing his team's growing injury count after a bruising encounter with the United States that saw them get their World Cup campaign back on track.

In a hard-hitting encounter the Wallabies won 67-5, both starting centres and a replacement midfielder were all taken off with serious injuries.

"Obviously, there was a consequence from the game," said Deans. "At first glance, it doesn't look great."

Deans said Rob Horne's fractured cheekbone, sustained in his first tackle of the match, was a "minor displacement" and classified as "promising".

Outside centre Anthony Fainga'a, who scored a brace of tries, was knocked clean out when he took a knee to a head while attempting a tackle in the last minute of the game.

He received several minutes of on-field treatment before being taken off on a stretcher, but Deans said that was par for the course.

"It never looks good, but the stretcher's protocol in those circumstances. He can recall everything including the moments leading up to the tackle, so that's a great sign," the former All Black said.

"We will monitor him, it's not something we mess around with. We want to make sure he's fully recovered before he enters the fray. We will not be re-entering Anthongy Fainga'a until he's fit and able."

Pat McCabe, who came on as a replacement for Horne, suffered a "sublaxed" (dislocated) shoulder, Deans dubbing the injury as not as "grave as it potentially could be".

No 8 Wycliff Palu will undergo an MRI scan on his hamstring strain, while hat-trick scorer Adam Ashley-Cooper "jammed his ankle, so he's not moving very freely but it's nothing too sinister".

Full-back Kurtley Beale and winger Drew Mitchell both tightened up, while the four players unavailable for selection - Digby Ioane (broken thumb), David Pocock (back), Scott Higginbotham (back), James Horwill (hamstring) - were all "progressing well".

With three centres having been injured, Deans acknowleged that veteran Matt Giteau, controversially omitted from the squad could be flown in as a replacement.

"He's obviously in the frame for a call-up because he was in the original 40-strong training squad," said Deans.

"The good thing now is that we've got an eight-day turnaround and we won't actually be getting back out to the training field until until Tuesday.

"We probably won't be making any decisions in the next 48 hours. We'll make sure we're fully aware, fully informed, before we move.

"When you've been around the game as long as I have, you just keep going, it's part of it. It's a part of the game the players don't enjoy, nor do we as coaching staff but it's a constant.

"You've got to keep concentrating on what's important for the group and recognise that you can't avoid that stuff and critically, it's about the fit and able ones."

The Wallabies will now head to Canterbury on the South Island for some downtime before relocating to Nelson ahead of their match against Russia next Saturday.

AFP

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...ical-advice-20110924-1kq6q.html#ixzz1YpeRVt5R

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Who is Schmoos?

If you have a look at a replay Elsom's head was up but he just wasn't positioning himself for the No8 - maybe he didnt know that Mitchell had followed his winger to the openside.

For once, all three backrowers were on the scrum and pushing. That must have been a team plan and a very welcome one at that after the Ireland second-shove debacle. Knowing that this was the team plan Schmoo should have let his man go and covered the blind. He's quick enough to get across in cover if they go open side providing he's ready.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
A mate of mine had a sublaxed shoulder injury, she described it to me as the shoulder coming out but then going back in rather than staying out & having to be put back in, it stretches the ligaments/tissue but isnt as bad as what a usual dislocation would mean. With some strapping tape on she was back out playing in a week. Hopefully its a similar situation for Horne.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
A mate of mine had a sublaxed shoulder injury, she described it to me as the shoulder coming out but then going back in rather than staying out & having to be put back in, it stretches the ligaments/tissue but isnt as bad as what a usual dislocation would mean. With some strapping tape on she was back out playing in a week. Hopefully its a similar situation for Horne.

That was McCabe.

Hore has a broken cheekbone.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
OK, here goes.

Scrums - certainly had the measure of USA B but surprisingly little result for dominance and FFS it was USAB! As I saw it Rocky conceded the try.
Line outs - cracked me up that Sharpe appeared to call himself it seemed 95% of the time.
I said to my wife that he was polishing KPIs. At Simmons expense. Throwing better. Opposition throw not threatened enough.
Restarts- occasionally successful despite crapness. Mediocre still.
Breakdown - mediocre
Backline - more fluent and Barnes looked good but against Usa B!

All in all it was a nice hit out for the backs apart from the fact most of them are now broken. All went well esp the ' this rwc' debutants Barnes and Horne. I don't feel much happier about the pack apart from thinking that Palu TPN and Slipper will be safe bench options if fit to close out games.

S

saulih

Disappointed that US did not field their first string team, to really see how the top level of US rugby compares to A top tier nation. Let's hope that pulling their A players was worth it for their match against Italy.

Have had a lot of my hopes deflated after the Ireland loss, and the performance here against the US. Am beginning to develop a sense of dread for the finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.