• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC Wallabies v USA - 23 September

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
That bloke catches every break!!! Still, if it happened in the first tackle then it may not be too serious. because he played pretty well thereafter. Just have to wait on the scans. Conrad Smith will be sleeping easier, the thought of Horne at 13 would give him nightmares.

Unlucky break for Horne. Looked to be running decent lines even closer to the action.

Hawko after 1300 posts and hours of watching rugby, surely you'd know by now that 'one' Tahs game don't make a dominant Test centre

FairWeatherAussie

Ted Fahey (11)
So Horne, McCabe and Fainga'a are all gone..

My wishes for speedy recovery for all of them. What were the injuries? I was watching with French commentating so didn't catch the subs.

On the positive side, and I don't mean this to any of their detriments, this at least should force Deans to choose the strongest possible Australian back line against SA. Genia, Cooper, Ioane, Barnes, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Mitchell/JOC (James O'Connor), Beale. JOC (James O'Connor)/Mitchell on the bench with Burgess.

And what do the Gods have against Horne. I missed the first ten minutes, but he was superb the rest of the half. If he wasn't so good I'd suggest he should give up on rugby and just play chess or something safer instead. Although even then he'd probably find a way to break a finger or something while moving the pieces.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Palu - hamy
Beale - groin (precautionary only I believe)
A Finger - knocked out
Horne - Cheek bone
McCabe - dislocated shoulder

EDIT: Writing out that list just made me depressed. Did I miss anyone, I sure hope thats it!

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Have to say I was disappointed with our game, which seems bizarre given the score. We lacked continuity and our set piece was between limited and awful. Also, can someone please explain to me why we didn't have a backline defender on blindside for the American try? Our backs certainly did a good job, but it was in the face of poor defense and again I saw less build of pressure, more reliance on linebreak brilliance - which was fine against the US but didn't work at all last week and most certainly won't work against the ABs.

Horne fed well of Palu to set Ant for his try. Thought Ant was very hard done by the Fox crew - he had two drifting defenders, had he passed the receiver (sorry didn't see who it was) would have been on the line and potentially tackled out, Ant did a perfectly solid step to secure the try. Good play as far as I was concerned.

As for Palu, bloody superb. I'd like to murder him for getting injured again. Elsom had a good game, save that try conceded, which presumably we can't blame him for totally.

McCalman - mate, where were you? Last week you put the effort in. Sorry, but I was calling for you to come off at 30 mins.

Sharpe - one of our better players for sure. No surprises there, he has to be on our bench for the QF, if not starting.

Barnes, who certainly had a great kicking game, kicked a lot. Mostly it was good options, but often not, and he's notorious for it. Going into RWC eliminations I have NP with good tactical kicking, and Barnes is good and that, and quicker at it than QC (Quade Cooper) I think, but if its a kick into open space, I question the logic. I'd have hoped he'd dial down the kicks some.

Actually enjoyed seeing Quade at fullback, was good to see us playing a more traditional game. I am no longer sold on the QC (Quade Cooper) at 10 then flipping to fullback, I think it curbs Beale's game, but we are stuck with it I'd imagine, be brave to make QC (Quade Cooper) play a proper 10 now.

Drew - that power thru for the try, magic. A good percentage play imo. If it hadn't worked, all it would have done is reinforce the need for US defenders to come in, he passes next time, try. Didn't need to, clearly he has that power of old back. Him and Barnes were two of the best pieces of news today. I'd say Horne too but if he has a shattered cheekbone, ouch, they can be bad, real bad.

Finally AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). Continues to show grit and skill. It was my opinion he'd be starting 13 from QFs on, guess thats academic now, he's our starting 13 for sure, what choices will we have?

Here's hoping Ant is ok, and that Horne, Palu and McCabe aren't as bad as it sounds. It was a rough day at the office.

My very last note - re McCabe. Slim isn't the only huge fan here. If we lose him for the QFs it has me worried, big time worried. What he brings to the table, like Pocock, is a rock solid midfield defense and defense is crucial. Against guys like Steyn, Nonu, Fourie, Brussouw, Read, McCaw, Spies, Manu Tuilagi, and so on that's a real consideration. Yes his attack is weak, but thats a function of his game. We haven't seen him against a lower tier side to judge if he can change that, and unfortunately it's looking like we won't get to.

To lose McCabe and Horne in the same game. That's ominous. Yeah I can see BB there for sure, but that's not the slot he played today. Suddenly Gits is back in the frame. On the bright side, having to 'fall back' to BB and Gits is a problem most countries wish they could have.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Think you're being a little harsh Althinaur.

I was happy with our 80 minute effort. Don't think it's too much to get worked up about, nice to have a win I suppose.

The worst part of the game was the injuries. The second worst part of the game was Greg Martin calling QC (Quade Cooper) 'the Quacktion man', like he is some kind of duck superhero.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
BarBar, certainly agree about the (sorry I can't bring myself to type it) QC (Quade Cooper) thing by Marto. And I am not calling it a disaster, it wasn't. It's hard to fault the scoreline - what more could you ask scorewise?

But I'd rather have seen a structured game with less points but executed well, than an unstructured game such as that I observed. We need structured rugby and aggressive commitment up front. I saw a lack of either.

Do agree about the injuries being the worst part though. I'm normally a glass half full guy, and today's mission was a win with bonus points; achieved, but can't help feeling we wasted an opportunity to build on basics, something we're are going to need right soon.

Would hate to see us get complacent over a soft win. Btw that applies to selections too. It's one thing for the ABs to decide SBW is suddenly a winger after playing Japan B. I think we need to be a little more circumspect.

Reactions: BPC

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
But I'd rather have seen a structured game with less points but executed well, than an unstructured game such as that I observed. We need structured rugby and aggressive commitment up front. I saw a lack of either.

See I don't understand that. You can only play to the quality of your opposition, and the USA's defence was weak on the outside. So that is where we went. There was no point running into their brick-wall defence on the inside over and over when there were opportunities out wide to make easy metres. That to me is smart rugby.

There are teams you need to muscle up against, but the USA is not one of them. I thought we played to our strengths well, although I do agree it was a bit scrappy at times. But these minnow games always have a bit of that.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
See I don't understand that. You can only play to the quality of your opposition, and the USA's defence was weak on the outside. So that is where we went. There was no point running into their brick-wall defence on the inside over and over when there were opportunities out wide to make easy metres. That to me is smart rugby.

There are teams you need to muscle up against, but the USA is not one of them. I thought we played to our strengths well, although I do agree it was a bit scrappy at times. But these minnow games always have a bit of that.

As Mad Robbie would say, we played what was in front of us.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Ant Faainga'a just tweeted saying he was alright. Just a sore head and seeking advice on how to tackle.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Good news!

Advice: mate we love your commitment to the tackle but next time don't use your head quite so literally!

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
Fainga'a's RWC is done and dusted. He'll miss out next week, and he won't make the 22 from then on in. May as well bring in a #7 backup whilst we have the chance.

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
Has anyone uttered the "G" word yet in light of the backline injuries? What are the chances the Robbie will bring Giteau over? Don't get me wrong, I hate seeing the boys get injured and it is a real concern should they keep pulling up lame as we are fast running out of options.....that said, I do find a small degree of comfort in that Robbie's hand is being forced into selecting what I believe to be our best "starting" backline and the one that I have wanted to see get a run together for a little while now ie:.....

9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Ioane / Mitchell
12. Barnes (surely his kicking last night has secured him a start from here on in)
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. JOC (James O'Connor)
15. Beale

The question for me is, who will be the other back on the bench assuming Ioane or Mitchell make up one spot in a Robbie's favored 5/2 split? I am putting my money on Giteau should A.Fingers be forced to take a break for 2-3 weeks. Don't get me wrong, I am not one of those who thought Giteau's omission from the WC squad was a bad move, but I am hard pressed to find a reason why any others would be bought in over him. I am a fan of Tapuai but feel that experience, composure and the ability to cover multiple backline positions nudges Giteau ahead of Taps, Carter and co.
If I was Beau Robinson, I would call one of my Reds mates and find out where the team was staying, book my flight to NZ and go knock on Robbie’s hotel room door – bags in hand, and tell him I was ready to rock!!!!

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I was pretty disappointed with the forwards, they lacked structure, body height & the discipline to stay together on their feet. Too often the looked like a rabble

Shame about Horne, the guy has just so much talent, real pace and unselfish.

I wonder if they will make the replacement Hodgson or Robinson

Status
Not open for further replies.