• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC - Wallabies v Ireland - 17th September 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
No use complaining lads, we felt the same in 1991 and 2003! Oh and someone reserve some of that tasty pie over there for Riptide. Whats it called lads? Ah humble pie!

Ireland offered a fabulous, focussed performance for the occasion and the Irish back-row in particular dominated. O'Brien and Ferris were sensational.

I'm eating several servings of that pie and that not enjoying any. It tastes truly awful.

O

Opiate

i.e Roland was shit when we beat you in Auckland, Lawrence is shit when you lose today..

B

BRIX

Cheers mate. Clearly you are very intelligent.

We all know were the game was lost and why. However there will be changes in the backs but not much in the forwards because... being the genius you are, you would appreciate there is bugger all other options with the exception of those out injured today (Pocock and Moore).

Intelligent and pissed off, my apologies for being so brash Skippy

R

rugbyfan

I just cannot find a reason why Deans hesitated to put the reserves on? It was so clear that they were in dire need to have fresh legs yet he didn't?

I have been so confident in the role that Moore has been playing over the past couple games, I rated him higher than Tafs, just need a couple forwards trucking it up (Nathan Sharpe?)

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Ok this is written less than 10 minutes after the game..the other 9 were spent in the can after that match...

I'll start off with saying that losing Moore and Pocock on gameday is beyond Robbie's control..HOWEVER the following are:

• The point of no back up 7 is obvious so won't spend so much time on that.
  • Playing Samo for nearly 80 mins was stupid considering how old he is and was on the back of a 6 day turn around.
  • If you're not going to use your subs before 60-65 mins, what's the point of using them at all.
  • Having defensive centres when attack was needed was pointless when it obvious it wasn't working. A Fainga'a has surely played himself to the bench after that performance and should have been hooked after passing to the bloke in the front row (of the grandstand).
  • Vickermann as aggressive as we love him to be, needs to tone it down a notch otherwise dead eye dick kickers will punish us in the later stages.
  • McCalman needs to go back to SupeRugby level as he offers little - this is based on other games as well as tonights.
  • And finally, the Wallabies need to develop a wet weather gameplan because tonight's didn't work and the weather in NZ at this time of year will more than likely be just that.

It would also be easy to question the ability of Bryce Lawrence but that's like flogging a dead horse....

There may be additions once I've calmed down and watched a replay - although no guarantees.

I forgot to mention well done to Ireland who had us all fooled and I should have taken my own advice from the article where I said they can get up for the big games (beating England in the 6N this year and Leinster won the HC so know how to win big games)

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I reckon I deserve a few apologises however I won't deny my excitement. Ireland @ $6 is just too good.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Well done Ireland. They were too good. There was not one Wallaby who would have made the Ireland team on that performance. It was like the first half of the Bledisole match also at Eden Park: waiting to react to what the opponents would do at the ruck and on defence.

They also did their homework better. Yours truly warned that the Ireland tacklers would hold Aussies up to get the scrum from a held up maul and they did it 4 times. If a punter like me could have seen that from Munster and Ireland this yeat the Oz coches should have too and told the players.

Others will talk about the Wallabies shortcomings including their inability to string a series of matches together with passionate forward commitment, but in doing so they will not be recognising that the Ireland team were too good to allow what should have been done.

Well done Ireland. This result is a great result for Irish rugby and it was well deserved; in fact the score flattered Oz.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I have been reading this forum since the 3N and some of you guys are really good analysts of the game, fair in your judgement and gracious in defeat such as the post above by Riptide.

What I can't stomach is the constant bagging of refs and saying they constantly lose you games. You have to play with the ref given. We lost with Wayne Barnes 4 years ago and then we lost the 2nd time with him reffing as well but it seems like only the uneducated people who can't even manage to join a forum and instead post on news sites anonymously etc are bagging him from our side. I kinda expect better from the guys on here

I agree that you have to play to the ref and that the kiwi's do this much better than us. But Bryce Lawrence is shit, he should never have been there in the first place, and tonight he proved us all right. He was shit to both teams, but he was shit in a way that stifled our gameplan, and I would also say stifled 'running rugby'. Its not because he's a kiwi, it because he's just a shit ref.

However, he didn't lose us the game, champion teams win no matter who the ref is, we lost because we were not good enough to rise above it all.

T

thedubs

Ireland offered a fabulous, focussed performance for the occasion and the Irish back-row in particular dominated. O'Brien and Ferris were sensational.

I'm eating several servings of that pie and that not enjoying any. It tastes truly awful.

Hahah no worries mate - Only messing around with you. I've just seen Ireland and Munster, and infact Leinster this year do this to so many teams.

What im worried about is a resurgent Wallabies team and meeting them later on. If Australia bounce back and regroup after this, they will be even tougher! Lets just hope Deans can help them get the right mindset.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
That was annoying to watch. Ireland breaking laws left right and centre to slow our ball down. Hard to blame the ref when we played crap anyway though.

Why the hell didn't they take the points with 2 minutes left? What were they thinking?

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Dear GAGR members, I am taking a leave of abscence untill my anger levels lower, which may be several days.

That is all.

F

François

What went wrong ?

Hello everyone.

Ok I will still say it: Australia is surely a better team than Ireland. Based on the IRB ranking, history, and individual player quality, there is little doubt.

Yet tonight as a group Ireland was far, far superior. In terms of determination, heart, and tactics, they were great all night. The ref had a small hand in it, and so did the rain.. All the stars were aligned perfectly for them, but ultimately they deserved their victory 100%.

What went wrong in the wallabies side ?

1) McCalman is not an openside flanker (Beau Robinson where were you ?)
2) Center pairing showing no creativity, with Fainga'a notably messing up the one try opportunity of the wallabies.
3) Not enough ball conservation from the backs (Beale's chip kicks were the most ineffective ones I've seen in a long time), and Cooper never counter-attacked ball in hand like he was supposed to !
4) Only 2 balls given to O'Connor. Surely you want him more involved.. why didn't they send some play his way ?

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Robbie Deans again didn't use the bench early enough... Saia should have come on higgers slipper ect earlier....
Ireland wanted to win and they did and should have, But im blaming this one out on deans....

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
There is still that horrible vulnerability upfront that enables teams to manage Australia of a game, but Dean's non-selection of a back-up to Pocock hurt. Its probably irrelevant to point out that Ireland too had no 7 in the side tonight, yet still found a way to dominate the breakdown. I genuinely believe that doesn't happen with Pocock in the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.