• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC - Wallabies v Ireland - 17th September 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Good post Brumby Jack. Samo should have come off around the 50 min mark or even earlier. He had some hands on knees moments in the 1st half and the fact there was Higgers and Palu on the pine, your mob was not short of options.

On A. Finger, I am surprised we did not see him once rush out of the line defensively to put pressure on Te Paddy attack. Seemed a very different defensive strategy was in play tonight.

Cooper shoveled ball on and he played almost Giteau-like in the way things panned out. Stood deep and kicked a fair amount of ball away and rarely took on the line. But it was tough ball he received given the effectiveness of the Irish forwards to slow ball and Bryce to allow it (fir both teams mind you).

The Irish forwards just seemed way more active and involved in both attack and defence. The hooker and loosehead carried a fair chunk of ball and I've already mentioned the loosies great game.

TPN and Alexander seemed anonymous. Elsom looked good in the first 15 mins and faded. Samo didn't carry nearly enough with the sort of go forward needed.

OZ scoring 6 points, OUCH!

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
I turned down the commentary and didn't really get too upset about Bryce- you can't change a referee.

What I did get annoyed about is that although we looked good when we put phases together and had the ball in hand, our backs did a series of chip kicks and poorly thought out bombs that gifted possession back to Ireland. I could forgive it if they were quality kicks that asked questions of the Irish, but they appeared not only ill-conceived, but poorly executed.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
I can honestly be passed off with this game. It was a fucking joke. The irb née too start sacking refs. Aus had the dominant scrum ( just) the breakdown was a shambles. The start of re second half Bryce reffed the breakdown differently and in Ireland's favor. There should of been 2 yellow cards against the Irish. The first high tackle was blatant.

Go the force!!!!

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Basically, you guys have loads of refs you don't want to play under.. you can't have the one you win under ref every time. The more astute people our side of the ditch weren't saying he was the reason for losing us the game in the 3N and there's no ref that the people on our forums are all saying we don't want, but you guys have quite a list

i.e Roland was shit when we beat you in Auckland, Lawrence is shit when you lose today..

Honestly mate they are the two worst, Kaplan and Munro get honourable mentions. You fail to acknowledge we appreciate good referees as well. There is a massive thread on the first page praising Mark Lawrence. Likewise Nigel Owens and yes, Wayne Barnes. Joubert isnt too bad either.

Certain referees just kill the wallabies style of play, which is based on clean ruck and scrum ball and a fast paced, flowing game. Now fair enough we should adjust to the referee, but can you honestly say you dont want rugby played the way we play it? Its just that much better to watch.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
I apologise if this is the wrong place to post this but after that unexpected win, I am looking to exchange Rugby World Cup quarter final 3 and semi final 2 tickets for quarter final 1 and semi final 1 tickets. The tickets are Category C. Please private message me if interested.

The wallabies Will still win the pool stages. Ireland will lose to Italy.

Go the force!!!!

rsea

Darby Loudon (17)
Yeah what happened with that high tackle. I was waiting for red and next thing Bryce was having a chuckle with the linesman about his own ineptitude and ignoring the coat hanger

B

BRIX

What upsets me is how we get found out all the damn time. The blue print to beating the Wallabies hasn't changed for the past 10 years. Show up in the forwards and win the game. Set pieces were abysmal as well as our kicking options. Moore & Pocock were sorely missed tonight, timing of the bench was vintage Deans. Well done Ireland

JimboJoe1006

Chris McKivat (8)
Australia choked, simple. Everything that went wrong did. No gameplan coming into the game, and no attempt to put some fire in the belly during the game. Deans should have brought on the whole bench with as soon as Ireland made it 9-6. Individual performances were terrible, worst I've seen. (Beale had some good moments). Everyone lacked the deep desire, the real fucking hunger to win. Horwill was a terrible captain tonight, Australia forward pack looked silent and stunned, like rabbits on the road, during the scrum re-sets just before O'Gara made it 15-6. Phil Waugh instils this fire into a team. A.Faainga, Cooper, Genia, McCalman and TPN had their worst games I've seen them play, by a mile.

Australia don't want to win, deep down, anywhere near as much as the other teams do. No fault of them personally, such a desire comes with years of losing to rivals, or just missing out. These young talented kids don't have that.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Looking at the ladder - we totally should have taken the 3 at the end there. Stupid decision. It would have put a bit of pressure on Ireland when they play Italy.

Dead right, Scarfie.

If you can't get five points, get four.

If you can't get four, get one.

But always, always, always; get something.

Healy, POC, Ferris and SOB were immense. Healy and POC in particular worked like madmen. I've been calling elsewhere for ROG at 10, Sexton at 12 as a 5/8; everything I saw there convinced me of it.

Christ, my aching nerves. If I'm sober by three, I'll be amazed, because my nerves are still twanging like a tart's knicker elastic when the fleet's in...

Reactions: BPC

FairWeatherAussie

Ted Fahey (11)
Well, when you cannot win a scrum, line out, kick restart and don't have a fetcher to look for turn-over you're pretty screwed to start with. Beales continuous gifting of possession with his chip kicks and McCabe and Fa'aingers horror shows didn't help.

U

undercoverkiwi

Dead right, Scarfie.

If you can't get five points, get four.

If you can't get four, get one.

But always, always, always; get something.

Healy, POC, Ferris and SOB were immense. Healy and POC in particular worked like madmen. I've been calling elsewhere for ROG at 10, Sexton at 12 as a 5/8; everything I saw there convinced me of it.

Christ, my aching nerves. If I'm sober by three, I'll be amazed, because my nerves are still twanging like a tart's knicker elastic when the fleet's in...

Superb.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Quite simple...no mongrel in the forwards = next to no ball or shit ball for our backs. Vickerman was the only forward who provided any real aggression until he was replaced.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Australia choked, simple. Everything that went wrong did. No gameplan coming into the game, and no attempt to put some fire in the belly during the game. Deans should have brought on the whole bench with as soon as Ireland made it 9-6. Individual performances were terrible, worst I've seen. (Beale had some good moments). Everyone lacked the deep desire, the real fucking hunger to win. Horwill was a terrible captain tonight, Australia forward pack looked silent and stunned, like rabbits on the road, during the scrum re-sets just before O'Gara made it 15-6. Phil Waugh instils this fire into a team. A.Faainga, Cooper, Genia, McCalman and TPN had their worst games I've seen them play, by a mile.

Australia don't want to win, deep down, anywhere near as much as the other teams do. No fault of them personally, such a desire comes with years of losing to rivals, or just missing out. These young talented kids don't have that.

Nah. That was old-school, Munster Senior Cup rugby; smash every bastard thing that moves, harry them, hunt them, never give them a chance to even think, put it up, put it in the corner, smash, hunt, harry, take your points, repeat. It's our natural game, and we played it very well tonight. It's hard to dictate the game when every time you move there's three forwards in your face howling for blood.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Looked hard done by at scrum time, rest of them probably fair enough.

How is it that Fainga'a makes one mistake and gets singled out? Could we talk about the bad kicking options, inability to get over the advantage line and how about 2 or 3 of Coopers passes going forward or how his flick pass on our last real chance to score and have a shot again was intercepted.

Status
Not open for further replies.