• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC - Wallabies v Ireland - 17th September 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
We let Les Kiss go and coach Ireland and we just did not turn up in the forwards. Do not understand why we are so inconsistent in this area. Unfortunately when our forwards are on the backfoot, Genia and Cooper, are made to look very ordinary.

Toddy

Chris McKivat (8)
Honestly mate they are the two worst, Kaplan and Munro get honourable mentions. You fail to acknowledge we appreciate good referees as well. There is a massive thread on the first page praising Mark Lawrence. Likewise Nigel Owens and yes, Wayne Barnes. Joubert isnt too bad either.

Certain referees just kill the wallabies style of play, which is based on clean ruck and scrum ball and a fast paced, flowing game. Now fair enough we should adjust to the referee, but can you honestly say you dont want rugby played the way we play it? Its just that much better to watch.

But that ignores the fact that you have players like Pocock and Moore who do their best to illegally slow the ball down. Wallabies really missed those two players tonight. The belief by some on this board that the Wallabies just want to play to the rules while it's just the other team that cheats is hilarious.

Sure certain refs help certain styles of rugby but just because one ref doesn't suit your style doesn't mean their crap or that they only let the "other" team cheat.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
The scrum battle was pretty even for most of the first half. The breakdown was well contested by both sides through the same period.
The place we should have been dominating was the lineout. Ours was a shambles.
TPN could not hit the side of a barn.

A. Fainga'a showed he probably should not have been given his reprieve and our forwards just looked disinterested at times.
A poor performance all around to be sure.

U

undercoverkiwi

Nah. That was old-school, Munster Senior Cup rugby; smash every bastard thing that moves, harry them, hunt them, never give them a chance to even think, put it up, put it in the corner, smash, hunt, harry, take your points, repeat. It's our natural game, and we played it very well tonight. It's hard to dictate the game when every time you move there's three forwards in your face howling for blood.

And it was so obvious. Upset as it was, it was so obvious how to win it.

T

thedubs

Nah. That was old-school, Munster Senior Cup rugby; smash every bastard thing that moves, harry them, hunt them, never give them a chance to even think, put it up, put it in the corner, smash, hunt, harry, take your points, repeat. It's our natural game, and we played it very well tonight. It's hard to dictate the game when every time you move there's three forwards in your face howling for blood.

Yep, the whole team had Munster cup rugby intensity all over it. Nice to see that to complement that, Ireland had some nice back movements to get us on the front foot. Leinster offloading and support play. I never though we'd of seen that, the best of Munster's philosophy meeting the best of Leinsters one. Superb.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
Same problems that we saw in the defeat to England and Scotland. Also with the draw to Ireland. Deans is a man who ran out of ideas a long time ago.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think that is a little harsh on TPN. I thought he tackled well and at least one of his throws that was called not straight was judged to have been dead straight by Rod Kafer on the sideline (I think this was one Horwill caught at the back without jumping). Another one that was marginally not straight was caught uncontested which is almost always let go. There were several that were worse from Ireland that weren't contested by the Wallabies and weren't called.

T

thedubs

Same problems that we saw in the defeat to England and Scotland. Also with the draw to Ireland. Deans is a man who ran out of ideas a long time ago.

He didnt run out of idea's. Come off it - You dont win the tri nations if you havent got idea's. When Ireland play like that nobody beats them. They're like France since the professional era began. They go hot and cold. Australia just couldnt get into it and we're over eager when they got the front foot.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Yep, the whole team had Munster cup rugby intensity all over it. Nice to see that to complement that, Ireland had some nice back movements to get us on the front foot. Leinster offloading and support play. I never though we'd of seen that, the best of Munster's philosophy meeting the best of Leinsters one. Superb.

Sexton's not a test 10, though, because his decision-making isn't quite fast enough for a test 10; and Reddan is sloooooowwww (and, I noticed, can only pass off one side). On the evidence of France and today, Sexton does, however, look like he is a very good test 5/8 with ROG at 10 taking the pressure off his decision-making, because suddenly he gets that half-second to pick a shoulder or a line to break the line, or bring SOB or Ferris in on an angled run from deep. I'd love to see that combination against Italy. Murray, for a player who's not even played 100 minutes of test rugby yet, looks like we have a real diamond in the rough. More game time for him, asap, please, Deccie.

POC and Healy superb. As the large ginger man would say himself; unreal. ;)

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
Australia choked, simple. Everything that went wrong did. No gameplan coming into the game, and no attempt to put some fire in the belly during the game. Deans should have brought on the whole bench with as soon as Ireland made it 9-6. Individual performances were terrible, worst I've seen. (Beale had some good moments). Everyone lacked the deep desire, the real fucking hunger to win. Horwill was a terrible captain tonight, Australia forward pack looked silent and stunned, like rabbits on the road, during the scrum re-sets just before O'Gara made it 15-6. Phil Waugh instils this fire into a team. A.Faainga, Cooper, Genia, McCalman and TPN had their worst games I've seen them play, by a mile.

Australia don't want to win, deep down, anywhere near as much as the other teams do. No fault of them personally, such a desire comes with years of losing to rivals, or just missing out. These young talented kids don't have that.

The ref went wrong. Is was terrible. He was terrible. How the hell can you win with that dickhead. How can you score a try with that cock head in charge. He should be stood down for 3 months. Suspended. Raped for all i care. Rugby needs to change. The irb needs to be in the southern hemisphere. A shit boring team will win the world cup. The things paddy obrian has raised with refs to concentrate on favor the northern hemisphere teams hands down.

Agghhhhhhhhhh
Fuck it bring it and let me have it

Go the force!!!!

P

pete88

I think we can't complain about the scrum penalties, Kepu was going down like a cock addict in the second half, and Bryce missed it most of the time, along with Horwill's blatant offside in front of the sticks in the first half. This was a perfect storm, we don't have a wet weather game plan, lost 3 of our 4 best players (Genia was fit), didn't keep our cool or the ball due to poor decision making and better Irish forward play.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
He didnt run out of idea's. Come off it - You dont win the tri nations if you havent got idea's. When Ireland play like that nobody beats them. They're like France since the professional era began. They go hot and cold. Australia just couldnt get into it and we're over eager when they got the front foot.

got lucky. NZ stuff the trinations up in SA. Robbies crap.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
But that ignores the fact that you have players like Pocock and Moore who do their best to illegally slow the ball down. Wallabies really missed those two players tonight. The belief by some on this board that the Wallabies just want to play to the rules while it's just the other team that cheats is hilarious.

Sure certain refs help certain styles of rugby but just because one ref doesn't suit your style doesn't mean their crap or that they only let the "other" team cheat.

Its not the fact that other teams 'cheat', its the fact that more than often the referees will let teams get away with it. Obviously team are going to push the rules if it means you win the game, but just because it happens doesn't make it right.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
The scrum battle was pretty even for most of the first half. The breakdown was well contested by both sides through the same period.
The place we should have been dominating was the lineout. Ours was a shambles.
TPN could not hit the side of a barn.

A. Fainga'a showed he probably should not have been given his reprieve and our forwards just looked disinterested at times.
A poor performance all around to be sure.

Joe, POC is right up there with Matfield as a lineout operator - as Matfield himself acknowledges. I've seen him clean Matfield out, and destroy better throwing hookers than TPN. He is very, very, very good out of touch; and it's never going to be an option playing us out of touch for that reason.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
The ref went wrong. Is was terrible. He was terrible. How the hell can you win with that dickhead. How can you score a try with that cock head in charge. He should be stood down for 3 months. Suspended. Raped for all i care. Rugby needs to change. The irb needs to be in the southern hemisphere. A shit boring team will win the world cup. The things paddy obrian has raised with refs to concentrate on favor the northern hemisphere teams hands down.

Agghhhhhhhhhh
Fuck it bring it and let me have it

Go the force!!!!

Come off it mate, he was bad, but its nothing to do with this ridiculous notion of north vs south.

T

thedubs

Sexton's not a test 10, though, because his decision-making isn't quite fast enough for a test 10; and Reddan is sloooooowwww (and, I noticed, can only pass off one side). On the evidence of France and today, Sexton does, however, look like he is a very good test 5/8 with ROG at 10 taking the pressure off his decision-making, because suddenly he gets that half-second to pick a shoulder or a line to break the line, or bring SOB or Ferris in on an angled run from deep. I'd love to see that combination against Italy. Murray, for a player who's not even played 100 minutes of test rugby yet, looks like we have a real diamond in the rough. More game time for him, asap, please, Deccie.

POC and Healy superb. As the large ginger man would say himself; unreal. ;)

Reddan is much faster than anyone else in our squad. The first 20 minutes it was thanks to him IMO that we got on the front foot. Might be my blue tinted glasses however! Any time Reddan and Sexton line out we produce the goods. England and now Australia - Those are the only two games they've started together! Then again those were games that the team would rise too naturally given the size of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.