• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC QF2: England v France (W Pool B v RU Pool A)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
British and Irish Lions are going to be devastating. Tuilagi, North, Roberts, Sean O'brien etc etc etc

At least wait a couple of years before the excuses start for Deans......

But yes if all remain fit that will be a once in a lifetime Lions team.

T

tallboy

I thought Bonnaire was absolutely outstanding. Such a dominant force defensively. Was everywhere, and making sure the opposition new all about it.

T

Toby Lerone

The fox crew were talking about Martin Johnson being 'too close' to the players in the squad & that it maybe leading to him favouring certain players over those more deserved. Would you say thats the reason for the selections or does he just not have a clue?

Well, in his career he did play with all of the 'old guard' that are left in the side: Thompson, Shaw, Moody and Wilkinson all played regularly alongside him.

Another observation is that he also tends to favour Leicester players in my opinion - he obviously has close links to the club he played with for a long time, but selecting the right players is imperative at this level. Look at the selection today - Louis Deacon (Leicester) picked ahead of Courtney Lawes, surely Lawes would have had a massive impact and clearly gives his all, even if he gives away silly penalties.

Moody as captain was also wrong: he's clearly not fit (just look at all the strapping on his knee) and you can't be carrying passengers in the team, especially not at 7. I can't say that Moody doesnt give his all, but Haskell is a better player right now and should have started.

Sheridan is an exceptional scrummager, as I'm sure the Wallabies are aware. However, the scrum was much better with Corbisiero on, so just having a natural loosehead might have made a big impact from the start.

Johnson seems to pick players on reputation and not form, and that's ridiculous. I wonder if Nick Mallett would fancy coming in to help him?

Rebel rouser

Ted Fahey (11)
Great win France! Boy you can play rugby when you want to! Some great backline fluency in the first half. Didn't see the need to close down the game in the second half... you should have just kept scoring tries!!!

Very interesting match up next week... against Wales. They would have to still be the favourites in that, but I hope you can get yourselves up for a second week in a row!

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I thought one of the reasons for England's defeat was that they pased badly and knocked on regularly. This is perfectly understandable. They had spent so much time playing win-ugly rugby that their backs didn't know how to play adventurous ball-in-hand rugby. Good back play comes through doing the right things repeatedly till they become second nature. This tournament, England's in-game practice mainly involved lots of ugly forward play and lots of kicking. Wilkinson was sitting so deep he was never going to set his backs alight. Watching some of his passing behind the man, running crossfield and harbour bridge passing was painful. Knowing the potential he had outside him it was absolutely criminal. England got what they deserved.

While the French turned it around this week I don't think they can play this well for another two weeks. With the backroom disfunctionality and the very variable quality of their play, even tonight, I remain unconvinced they can be consistent enough to win. They do have some very good players - their backrow, hooker and locks were a cut above England, and their outside backs were outstanding. But they are weak at 10. Can you win a world cup with a weak 10? I guess we'll have to wait to see, but my money will be on Wales next weekend.

P

pete88

I have to say England played as well as I've seen them play since Twickers last year. Both quarters were fantastic, I was really impressed with all four sides and I had the.

As Hawko says, the Poms were a little short on backline precision, but they still were good enough to score two backline tries. I just think very few teams can live with France like that, they're the Northern Wallabies.

Gotta say I wouldn't be panicking about the 2013 Lions too much at this point, their playmakers aren't otherworldly good on today's evidence.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Well, in his career he did play with all of the 'old guard' that are left in the side: Thompson, Shaw, Moody and Wilkinson all played regularly alongside him.

Another observation is that he also tends to favour Leicester players in my opinion - he obviously has close links to the club he played with for a long time, but selecting the right players is imperative at this level. Look at the selection today - Louis Deacon (Leicester) picked ahead of Courtney Lawes, surely Lawes would have had a massive impact and clearly gives his all, even if he gives away silly penalties.

Moody as captain was also wrong: he's clearly not fit (just look at all the strapping on his knee) and you can't be carrying passengers in the team, especially not at 7. I can't say that Moody doesnt give his all, but Haskell is a better player right now and should have started.

Sheridan is an exceptional scrummager, as I'm sure the Wallabies are aware. However, the scrum was much better with Corbisiero on, so just having a natural loosehead might have made a big impact from the start.

Johnson seems to pick players on reputation and not form, and that's ridiculous. I wonder if Nick Mallett would fancy coming in to help him?

I don't know about the rest of what you say but I think there could be a strong argument for not starting Lawes simply on his ability to cost significant penalties. He does have a tendency toward brain snaps.

I thought some of his selections such as Tindall were very suspect but when you have Mad Robbie selecting in your own country Johno's efforts pale by comparison.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
By geez, what a great couple of QFs, thought all 4 teams played with quite a bit of open rugby. Don't know which of these teams will win next week, but strongly suspect Wales will prevail, although I a little worried they seemed to be a little over excited at end of game, and French seemed to look like they knew it was only a QF. I may have just read it wrong but will be cracking semi anyway.

Can I just add I LOVE this game!!!!

B

BRIX

Parra/Yachvili > Wilkinson/Flood. Two 9's are better than two 10's I suppose. Allez McCabe.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I have to say England played as well as I've seen them play since Twickers last year. Both quarters were fantastic, I was really impressed with all four sides and I had the.

As Hawko says, the Poms were a little short on backline precision, but they still were good enough to score two backline tries. I just think very few teams can live with France like that, they're the Northern Wallabies.

Gotta say I wouldn't be panicking about the 2013 Lions too much at this point, their playmakers aren't otherworldly good on today's evidence.
Well, nobody's panicking, but when you look at players like Warburton, O'Brien, Charteris, POC, Lawes, Heaslip, Ferris, Roberts, Davis, Phillips, Ashton, Tuilagi, Earls, Kearney, Bowe just off the top of my head, and there is plenty of quality there. If they get the coaching team right, they could be a great Lions team.

P

pete88

Yup, there's plenty of quality players but there always is. I think we have players matching them in each of those spots if our first XV is mostly fit given the players we have coming through (and I'm not sure all of them will be there, thinking of POC in particular, he's old as isn't he?).

That said, i want to clone Jamie Roberts in particular.

edit - and I agree with the implication the NH/home nation rugby sides have rarely looked as good as they have today.

Status
Not open for further replies.