• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC QF2: England v France (W Pool B v RU Pool A)

Status
Not open for further replies.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
I do truly believe they threw the game against Tonga, result wise it didn't matter for them, they have now named their strongest side possible. England won't know what hit them. French to get their revenge.
I am sure you are right, losing to the English in 2007 hurt the French. The English are a disgrace to the game at the moment and can't get knocked out soon enough for me. English look like picking St J Of Wilkinson as well and he has been a bag of shite all tournament. France by 15 and the rugby career of Haskell 'the brand' in tatters, couldn't happen to a nicer fella, is my prediction.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
I am sure you are right, losing to the English in 2007 hurt the French. The English are a disgrace to the game at the moment and can't get knocked out soon enough for me. English look like picking St J Of Wilkinson as well and he has been a bag of shite all tournament. France by 15 and the rugby career of Haskell 'the brand' in tatters, couldn't happen to a nicer fella, is my prediction.

Saw these the other day. First one is quite well staged I think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j23kMGJZIiE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFj96j8bAMo

works because he is so plausible as a bastard

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
I know qwerty suggested that saturday's debacle vs tonga was staged but i've just heard that French rugby coach elect and the French sports minister are both heading to NZ to sort out the mess. What does this do for Lievrement?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
England: 15 Ben Foden, 14 Chris Ashton, 13 Manu Tuilagi, 12 Toby Flood, 11 Mark Cueto, 10 Jonny Wilkinson, 9 Ben Youngs, 8 Nick Easter, 7 Lewis Moody, 6 Tom Croft, 5 Tom Palmer, 4 Louis Deacon, 3 Dan Cole, 2 Steve Thompson, 1 Matt Stevens.
Replacements: 16 Dylan Hartley, 17 Alex Corbisiero, 18 Courtney Lawes, 19 Simon Shaw, 20 James Haskell, 21 Richard Wigglesworth, 22 Matt Banahan.

Lawes and Haskell dropped for Palmer and Easter. Tindall out with a cork; so Flood plays 12. Cueto is abck and D. Armitage drops out altogether - I would have had him as the reserves back instead of Banahan.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I know qwerty suggested that saturday's debacle vs tonga was staged but i've just heard that French rugby coach elect and the French sports minister are both heading to NZ to sort out the mess. What does this do for Lievrement?

From what I've read it seems that Lievremont is a passenger now, ala the Brumbies this year. That certainly didn't end too well (although they did manage to beat the Reds so maybe that'll be this game)

Sudrugby or Francois - can you fill us in on what the story is??

Lawes and Haskell dropped for Palmer and Easter. Tindall out with a cork; so Flood plays 12. Cueto is abck and D. Armitage drops out altogether - I would have had him as the reserves back instead of Banahan.

LG, Armitage is suspended this week

maxdacat

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
[ Tindall out with a cork[/QUOTE]

I thought it was a "dead leg", a term I haven't heard since prep school.

A

attila1998

Bonjour. Ici Attila . i've been away. how did france get on last week? . i'm assuming as they are now in QF's they qualified serenely, non??
Seriously, these games at 0600 in the morning mean one has a whole day to simmer and rage with resentment. But... But.... it's true that for France, a previous game's performance is never an indicator of form for the next. So , whilst no surprise if France lose, it'll be no surprise if France win. Comprenez?

D

daz

The last time I supported the French was in Paris at the 2007 semi-final. Ironically, against the Poms.

I will be there again for you, my brothers. I can only hope the best of French rugby will be on show this week, rather than the frustrating worst. Bring out the 'A' team, lads.

With all my heart, ALLEZ LES BLEUS!

PS: If during the game it looks like you cannot win, please begin a specific programme of inflicting maximum physical damage to those bastards from over your northern ditch. Thank you.

B

BRIX

Those journo's wearing fake mustaches at the press conference in solidarity for Lièvremont yesterday actually feel sorry for him.

He probably feels sorry for himself too.

Red rose by 13 *barf*

T

tranquility

France to win this in typical Froggy bi-polar backs against the wall fashion.

R

RuckinGoodStats

Some RWC 2011 stats to consider...

Overall it hard to believe these teams are in the quarter finals. Again these are averages for pool play at the RWC. They also score and concede on different sides of the field (see points). England v France looks like the perfect storm brewing... England scrum attract infringements, Walsh the ref hands out scrum infringements. France score on right side, England left side. Walsh the ref favours rights side for kickable pens... Perfect storm.

Time, possession and territory
•Both teams have just over 50% possession for the 1st half, but England have the lowest amount of average 1st half territory of any RWC team at 42%.
•England also spend the least amount of time in opp 22 in the 1st half with 7%. France fair better, ranked 4th highest with 18%.
•In the second half both teams improve a little, but to the levels you would expect for a quarter final team.
•Overall both teams have about the same amount of possession at 51% (rounded), and a woeful amount of territory 46% and 45% or 16th and 19th ranked respectively.
•England spent the least, on average, in the overall 22 in an entire game with 10%

•As others have pointed out England conceded the fewest tries in RWC.
•Both teams succeed in the same number of drop goals.
•England are 17% more likely in RWC to take a penalty kick on the left side of the field than the right side of the field.
•England are 56% more likely to score a RWC try on the left side of the field than the right side of the field.
•England are 3 & 1/2 times more likely to concede a RWC penalty that ended up as a kick at the goal on the left side of the field than the right field.
•France are 3 & 1/4 times more likely in RWC to take a penalty kick on the right side of the field than the left side of the field.
•France are 5 & 1/2 times more likely to score a RWC try on the right side of the field than the left side of the field.
•France are 56% more likely to concede a RWC penalty that ended up as a kick at the goal on the right side of the field than the left field.
•France are 2 times more likely to concede a RWC try on the right side of the field than the left side of the field.
•England kickers in RWC: Wilkinson 45% (9/20); Flood 77% (10/13). In 2011 6-nations: Wilkinson 88% (7/8); Flood 86% (19/22)
•France’s kickers in RWC: Yachvili 81% (13/16); Parra 90% (9/10) Trinh-Duc 67% (4/6). In 2011 6-nations: Yachvili 67% (8/12); Parra 76% (16/21)
•Drop kicks if it comes down to this: In RWC (2011 6 –nations) Wilkinson 1/2 (1/3); Parra 0/1; Trinh-Duc 1/1 (1/4).

Attack & defence
•England are averaging 2.6 phases, the lowest in the comp. France are not much better, ranked 16th with 3.0 phases.
•Both teams when they do get into the opp 22, break a few tackles. England are averaging 6.0, ranked 6th highest, France average 5.5 7th highest.
•England offload 8.8 times, 4th ranked.
•Both team miss tackle ratios are similar. England miss on average 1 in every 6.5 tackle attempts. France miss on average 1 in ever 6.2 tackle attempts.

Errors
•England lose possession/turnover the all 18.5 times or 12 lowest. France 17.8 times, 15th lowest.
•England concede the 2nd most penalties in the comp, with 12.3 per game. France concede 9.25, 16th lowest.
•England concede the most ruck pens in the comp.
•France concede the least amount of penalties in their own half, so if this continues it should take the English kickers out of the equation. They do concede them in the opp 22, 2nd highest in the comp. This could have improved the amount of tries in the comp.
•England also concede the 2nd most amount of free kicks.
•England has a low amount of handling errors, 7.3 or 16th lowest. However this is likely to be a reflection of the lack of possession. France make 9.5 handling errors or 5th highest.
•Both team get forced in touch, or throw the ball into touch one of the least in the competition.

Set Pieces
•Both team have a large number of lineouts.
•England have the most lineout infringements in the comp
•France knock the ball on in the lineout the most of any team in RWC
•England favour the middle ever so slightly over the front for the throw. France favour the middle, but throw to the back the most of any RWC team.
•Both team line to throw the ball in quickly if the opp has kicked out from a long kick.
•England are 2nd in the comp for infringements on their feed
•England have won the least amount of scrum set largely due to the number of infringements that result in the scrum being completed. Note I only count the scrum won if the scrum is completed. getting an infringement is getting a
infringement its not winning the scrum.
•England are 3rd in the comp for resets on their feed. 28% of England’s scrums are reset
Ref stats – Steve Walsh

•5.5 scrum resets 2nd highest, 5.0 in 2011
•6.0 scrum infringements, highest in RWC, 4.9 in 2011
•21.3 pens awarded, 6th highest, 22.1 in 2011
•9.3 for ruck pens, lowest, 12.3 in 2011
•4.5 for scrum pens (Remember England’s scrum stats above?), 2nd highest, 4.3 in 2011
•5.0 pens for offside, 2nd highest, 3.3 in 2011
•7.0 pens awarded inside the 22, 3rd highest
•1.5 free kicks awarded (all scrum, sit remembering England’s scrum stats?), 3rd highest
•Almost twice as likely to award a penalty that ends up being a kick at the posts on the right side of the field( Remember in the Point section above which team that favours...)

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Think the Poms will win. They've played messy rugby but they have all the elements there at front and back, they know how to beat the frogs and have done since Waterloo.

In fact I suspect the Poms will have a great game, get crazy cocky the following week with a rampaging pommy press, only to get bundled out by the Welsh. :D

Tad of optimism there but I do think the frogs have screwed up this time.

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
Think the Poms will win. They've played messy rugby but they have all the elements there at front and back, they know how to beat the frogs and have done since Waterloo.

In fact I suspect the Poms will have a great game, get crazy cocky the following week with a rampaging pommy press, only to get bundled out by the Welsh. :D

Tad of optimism there but I do think the frogs have screwed up this time.

This could prove to be an epiphany A...... Bring on QTR final # 2.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Anyone seeing the little Fox bit on Eng v Fra, lol at the music.

Update: France ahead they kick the penalty 3-0.

Update: France nail another penalty after the English loose head goes down in the scrum (I'm sure it was the loose head), FRA 6-0 ahead.

Update: Fra had another chance at a penalty but didnt convert.

Status
Not open for further replies.