• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC - New Zealand v France - 24th September

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Yeah, true, but whenever we lose a few scrums it is said that we were pumped. They were under immense pressure when Woodock gave away a few consecutive penalties.
France not only lost scrums in the first half, they got marched backwards. It was pumped. But France came back at them. I reckon France would have beaten most other top tier teams with the amount of ball and field position they had. Scary how well the ABs went really.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Did anyone see through the cloak of invisibility tonight?

I didn't really notice Sir Richard of the Offside Line too much during the game doing his usual pushing the envelope stuff.

I may have to review the tape when the Shiraz has worn off.

Bon

Ward Prentice (10)
It was only after Hore came on, something wasn't working right in the set scrum. NZ were all over them in the loose. Damage was done in the first half.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
snip..... Scary how well the ABs went really.

I agree however The Darkness still have to beat the Men in Gold.

They have never beaten us in RWC. Fact.

Edit: Le Frogge have shown that they have the potential to be a bit of a handful on the NH side of the Knockout stage draw.

In the words of the late Big Kev, "I'm excited". Every knockout game looks like being a real cracker. Nothing can be taken for granted in the sudden death knockout stages.

Da Munch

Chris McKivat (8)
Interesting meaning "Total bullshit from the Paul Honniss book of bullshit".

That book have a black cover and a silver fern on it - the tap was taken right next to the ref and the ref was looking at the tapper when he took it, the delay in awarding the try was IMHO due to worry over the player who'd been whacked in the head by SBW. And is that the same book that says we aren't "playing tidlywinks" when Kaino elbows someone in the head, not a yellow card offense (looked worse live than when it was slowed down to a speed where a punch from mike tyson looks soft) but the obstruction should of been obvious to even a one eye'ed all black supporter

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
I agree however The Darkness still have to beat the Men in Gold.

They have never beaten us in RWC. Fact.

Yeah but wasnt that the deal with Ireland till their win over us recently? At any rate I'll have to read that scrum thread sometime.

As far as the French go I'll be looking forward to their 1st pick team play later in the tornament - whatever their 1st 15 is.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
That book have a black cover and a silver fern on it - the tap was taken right next to the ref and the ref was looking at the tapper when he took it, the delay in awarding the try was IMHO due to worry over the player who'd been whacked in the head by SBW. And is that the same book that says we aren't "playing tidlywinks" when Kaino elbows someone in the head, not a yellow card offense (looked worse live than when it was slowed down to a speed where a punch from mike tyson looks soft) but the obstruction should of been obvious to even a one eye'ed all black supporter
Come on, the Kaino thing was nothing, barely touched the guy who took a massive dive. Let's not get hysterical here. As for the try, Rolland HAD stopped talking to the ABs and was facing the French players as they tapped and went. I have seen refs pull that up, however. I'm sure it will get mega airplay though.

J

Jay

Looked worse live cause you couldn't see the French guy grabbing his face nowhere near where he was actually hit.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
the tap was taken right next to the ref and the ref was looking at the tapper when he took it

My issue is more with whether it's fair to allow a quick tap when the ref has called out two opposition players away from defensive line (including the best tackler in the team). And the Kaino 'elbow' was nothing. Worse contact gets let go in netball.

Edit: I think we got some generous calls at scrum-time though.

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
Can someone explain the penalty the all blacks got at, i think 47 - all black feed and the ball hadn't been fed in yet and the all blacks pushed over the line and got a long arm for it?

It was a bit confusing, but I think AR was referring to the chat he had in the first half with the French against them pulling back on the engage. Although there is no law that specifically says it, we refs tend to take a dim view of teams that fold immediately on the hit.

I'm not entirely sure the call was correct, but I am pretty sure that's what the call was.

Da Munch

Chris McKivat (8)
Yeah looked a lot like soccer when slowed down - but it was obstruction and deserved a penalty, something the commentators didn't seem able to grasp.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
I surprised there is to much comment on ref, didn't think he made too bad a job. He obviously thought he had given enough time after he spoke to players.
I think Da Munch you are trying to hard. I don't have probs with penalty against Kaino, frog player took a dive, but you get 50/50 calls ,win some lose some.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
There was some media beat up about Le Frogge being a second rate selection, "cheapening" the value of the tickets, disrespecting the RWC etc.

Most of the punters made this assertion on the basis that a #9 Parras had been selected as run on #10.

There has been plenty of analysis in Gaggerland suggesting that the rest of the positions were justified as the best available, and the media who picked up the "French B team" line were talking out their arse.

While I admit I wasn't paying too much attention in particular to M. Parras at #10, he seemed to acquit himself OK in that role for the time he was on the field and I did not think disgraced himself.

Plenty of other #9s would have performed like a Keystone Kop if they were given the run on #10 Guernsey in a Test Match against the #1 ranked team.

Will Le Frogge progress beyond the QF's?

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Yachvili falling down before half-time reminded me of soccer. That behaviour is a blight on the game and needs to be stamped out whether by sanctions either on or off the field.

J

Jumpers

Wat a great performance by the ABs. Once again it showed the gap between the Best team and the Rest. The Abs played rugby heaven for 79mins and buried the French again! All players contributed to their stunning win and the French had no answer. Dagg, Kahui, SBW, Weepu, Carter all had strong games and the forward murded the French in the break downs, dominated possession and tackled well!

Only concern was the injuries.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Jumpers, New Zealand have been the top-ranked team at the previous 5 world cups yet failed to win one. In 2007, the smallest margin of victory for New Zealand in the pool stage was 40-0. And yet they lost the next week. You will - rightly - look like a complete arse if your team loses. Again.

I thought both teams played really well, actually. There's even a chance that this match-up will be repeated in the final.

I just wish that Rolland wouldn't be given New Zealand to referee. He reffed a good time in most ways (he even caught up with The Myth), but he seems to have no objection whatsoever in teams diving over the ball / driving well past the ball. Given what the iRB has said in relation to this, I would hope that he isn't rewarded with a gig in the finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.