• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC - New Zealand v France - 24th September

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Jumpers, New Zealand have been the top-ranked team at the previous 5 world cups yet failed to win one. In 2007, the smallest margin of victory for New Zealand in the pool stage was 40-0. And yet they lost the next week. You will - rightly - look like a complete arse if your team loses. Again.

I thought both teams played really well, actually. There's even a chance that this match-up will be repeated in the final.

I just wish that Rolland wouldn't be given New Zealand to referee. He reffed a good time in most ways (he even caught up with The Myth), but he seems to have no objection whatsoever in teams diving over the ball / driving well past the ball. Given what the iRB has said in relation to this, I would hope that he isn't rewarded with a gig in the finals.

I noticed this too, and it was completely bizarre considering how pedantic he was about this rule when Australia played Italy...

In that game he couldn't wait to penalise somebody for going to ground whether it was correct or not, yet last night he was happy to allow the superman dives over the ruck...

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
Jumpers, New Zealand have been the top-ranked team at the previous 5 world cups yet failed to win one. In 2007, the smallest margin of victory for New Zealand in the pool stage was 40-0. And yet they lost the next week. You will - rightly - look like a complete arse if your team loses. Again.

I thought both teams played really well, actually. There's even a chance that this match-up will be repeated in the final.

I just wish that Rolland wouldn't be given New Zealand to referee. He reffed a good time in most ways (he even caught up with The Myth), but he seems to have no objection whatsoever in teams diving over the ball / driving well past the ball. Given what the iRB has said in relation to this, I would hope that he isn't rewarded with a gig in the finals.

Wow! Give credit much.
You say France played well????
Did you look at the scoreboard?
They were munched.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
What the fuck?

Both teams played well. Compared to other teams. Compared to England and Australia especially.

Why have a problem with that????

France did not play well. Their defence was pathetic and they lost the collisions.

But yeah...if you are comparing them the recent Aussie efforts....I guess you could say France are world-beaters.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
You know, I thought England played pretty well myself. Was hard to tell, but I liked the way they went about it. They are going to be a real contender.

Re France, You could see the skill was there, and in that first ten minutes they were close, knowing the frogs it could have been a different game, but the Blacks held out, and from there I'm afraid frogs went pffftbbt. Hoping they'll pull one out of the bag vs England.

Israel Dagg was everything folks thought he could be. Oh the temptation to dig up a post or two about Dagg, Mils, SBW on some other forum :p must confess I didn't see Kahui coming into frame over Toeava or Gear tho.

Hmm, Blacks should be pulling very short odds now, might be time to put a couple more dollars on Aus.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
France did not play well. Their defence was pathetic and they lost the collisions.

But yeah...if you are comparing them the recent Aussie efforts....I guess you could say France are world-beaters.

Now now, no need to be rude. It could come back to bite you on the ass.

Bon

Ward Prentice (10)
Aye, nobody should be getting ahead of themselves, there is no clear favourite as yet, in my opinion.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
FrankLind - can I suggest that you are being a little precious about your lovely AllBlacks? I'm very sorry if giving credit to the French offends you. The AllBlacks are champions! They are world beaters! They are the greatest!! Happier now?

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
can I suggest that you are being a little precious about your lovely AllBlacks?

Is that what he's saying? Surely saying the French were good is a compliment to the All Blacks?

I just think he honestly reckons the French were shithouse.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Is that what he's saying? Surely saying the French were good is a compliment to the All Blacks?

I just think he honestly reckons the French were shithouse.

Maybe there was a better way of expressing that without being precious?

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
FrankLind wants me to say that the All Blacks humiliated the French. Hence: "give credit much?". Pure preciousness and I won't discuss it any more.

The French fucked up their inside backs defence. However, I think they played really well at the scrum (yes - in terms of penalties and positive ball), the lineout and the breakdown. With Rolland reffing it the way he did, the French just got stuck in and pushed bodies out of the way. Anyone who thinks the ABs smashed the French in the contact is delusional.

For what it's worth, given the fact that the knock-out format makes things a lottery, I would put New Zealand as clear favourites, ahead of South Africa and France. I'm less impressed with England because when the going gets tough, they are going to revert to 10-man rugby and they will lose to sides with a competitive pack (NZL, RSA, FRA).

Australia probably has a better chance of beating New Zealand than beating England. Especially with someone like Barnes as ref.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I have to agree with Scarfy. France had a very good lineout, they lost the scrums clearly in the first half, but edged the ABs in the second (after France brought on better scrummagers) and had a mountain of ball and field position. The ABs secured crucial turnovers with well-timed counter-rucks, and attacked quickly from them. France otherwise did well at maintaining ball but could do nothing with it. France played too many slow forwards wide and did nothing with often a lot of space, so when turned over, the ABs had fast backs against slow forwards and France got reamed. Smart AB play. The French backline defence was poor, which was their major weakness. I think France would have competed very well against most other top level teams with that. The ABs were just too good.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
FrankLind - can I suggest that you are being a little precious about your lovely AllBlacks? I'm very sorry if giving credit to the French offends you. The AllBlacks are champions! They are world beaters! They are the greatest!! Happier now?

There you go again stereotyping NZ fans.

May I suggest you watch the game again.

I just think your verdict that France played well is wrong. I gave reasons - i.e., their poor defence and lack of impact at collisions.
The All Blacks played far better than France. I think I am right - hint - look at the score.

Your summation of the game was essentially both teams played well (which isn't true) and the Rolland should not be given to NZ to ref.

As for sniping, yeah I did, but only after your customary whinge about the referees favoring the All Blacks and some snipe at Woodcock.

"I just wish that Rolland wouldn't be given New Zealand to referee. He reffed a good time in most ways (he even caught up with The Myth), but he seems to have no objection whatsoever in teams diving over the ball / driving well past the ball. Given what the iRB has said in relation to this, I would hope that he isn't rewarded with a gig in the finals."

Are you the guy who made the "ABs cheat more than anyone else" video?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Frank, even Kiwis over on TSF admit Woodcock got found out for some problems with his technique in that second half when he was tired, and the French front row was bolstered by 2 fresh and better scrummagers. Scarfy didn't question whether NZ were better, rather made the point that France weren't crap. They played OK, but NZ played better and made every opportunity count on the scoreboard, which good teams do.

Status
Not open for further replies.