• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC - New Zealand v France - 24th September

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
Henry made the right call, I didn't think he'd do it.
Still don't think Slade should be there- he had trouble controlling the game even against the Blossoms. Cruden's the next best 2nd-5 IMO, but for now Weepu could cover just fine, allowing for Jane/Muliaina to come into the 22.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Just as Aussies thought there was a sentimental weakness in Henry's selection of highly experienced but fading Mils, he goes ahead and dumps his ass just on the verge of his 100th cap for the more creative, big game temperament of Dagg. I'm impressed.

Yes, that's why he's the greatest union coach in the modern game, period. Takes the hard decisions just at the right moment. Leadership. No teacher's pets and inexplicable indulgences that are only stopped after disaster has struck.

M

Muttonbird

I'm worried about two aspects of this selection. Thomson isn't an 8's arse and to be leaving Cowan out as the tournament heads toward the sharp end is a concern.

I would have thought continuity would be highly valued right now and Vito being present in the squad specifally as Read's cover and, having played the last two matches, should be starting. Seeing a loose forward utility journeyman packing down at 8 will give the French pack the fuel they require to play themselves into some momentum. Way to go GH.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
I'm worried about two aspects of this selection. Thomson isn't an 8's arse and to be leaving Cowan out as the tournament heads toward the sharp end is a concern.

I would have thought continuity would be highly valued right now and Vito being present in the squad specifally as Read's cover and, having played the last two matches, should be starting. Seeing a loose forward utility journeyman packing down at 8 will give the French pack the fuel they require to play themselves into some momentum. Way to go GH.

Hmmm... "utility journeyman".

I doubt that this French side will be so filled with confidence that they can target a fine back-rower playing at 8.

J

Jay

IMO this is the ABs top team. This is going to be an awesome game. It will be interesting to see how Dagg goes.

You could make an argument that it's the top (fit) XV, though I'd say Vito is a better bet than Thomson at 8. The bench is a bit WTF? to be honest. There's no good reason for two locks on the bench and I still think SBW is either first XV or outside the 22 - he doesn't have enough utility for the bench and the idea of him playing wing against a proper opponent gives me the shits.

A

antipodean

Vito has been muted in his last two outings and Cowan's recent form can best be described as disappointing.

SaderCheif

Jimmy Flynn (14)
You could make an argument that it's the top (fit) XV, though I'd say Vito is a better bet than Thomson at 8. The bench is a bit WTF? to be honest. There's no good reason for two locks on the bench and I still think SBW is either first XV or outside the 22 - he doesn't have enough utility for the bench and the idea of him playing wing against a proper opponent gives me the shits.

Agree about the bench. Dunno about Vito and Thomson they have both been equally dissapointing in recent form. SBW, not enough exp for the wing and too be experimenting at this stage pisses me off.

J

Jay

Agree about the bench. Dunno about Vito and Thomson they have both been equally dissapointing in recent form. SBW, not enough exp for the wing and too be experimenting at this stage pisses me off.

Vito's been playing pretty well since he got recalled, IMO. Not setting the house on fire, but he seems to have a bit more of a nasty edge. And he's a far better bet at 8 than Thomson.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
I love this team.

I think Thompson has been playing great recently. His form dipped in the later super games and early tests, but it's picked back up, and it's certainly better than Vito's. With Woodcock starting to get his shoulder working, Kaino bringing the hurt, Kahui turning out to be a freak, and DC/Captain-tackles returning from the day spa to exorcise the ghosts of World Cups past, I'm genuinely excited about the performance they could unleash.

But it's France.

France by 20.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I love this team.

I think Thompson has been playing great recently. His form dipped in the later super games and early tests, but it's picked back up, and it's certainly better than Vito's. With Woodcock starting to get his shoulder working, Kaino bringing the hurt, Kahui turning out to be a freak, and DC/Captain-tackles returning from the day spa to exorcise the ghosts of World Cups past, I'm genuinely excited about the performance they could unleash.

But it's France.

France by 20

Well that was a twist ending to your post!

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Vito's been playing pretty well since he got recalled, IMO. Not setting the house on fire, but he seems to have a bit more of a nasty edge. And he's a far better bet at 8 than Thomson.

Definitely agree. He was great off the bench in Brisbane.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
I tend to think that Thomson styl of 8 is similar to Reads,and so GH and co probably feel this is way to go. As for 2 locks on bench, not a big prob, Boric can be used as cover at 6 where he's played a bit, and Richie or Kaino can cover 8, and Thomson covers 7. I quite happy, not sure about SBW, but don't mind him being tried of bench.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Unsure if there is going to be a separate thread for NZ v FRA but I'm looking forward to it. Listening to Graham Henry earlier I'm expecting the AB's to come out of the blocks firing & make a big statement in this game. Hoping the French put up a fight but I'm backing the AB's by at least 20.

Update: 8min in Fra have looked like they've come out of the blocks more but I think the AB's just need to keep calm & they should start making some inroads soon. Nil all.

Update: And after great runs from Weepu & Nonu plus a good tap over pass from Carter in goes Thompson.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Did anyone feel that sudden gust of wind from the East?

I think it might be the release of 4 million collective sighs of relief after Thompson scored first.

The incoming wind was assisted by the sucking in of wind from the bookies, who must have had Thompson at fairly long odds as the first point scorer.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Corey Jane in as the second try scorer. Bookies favourite came in as second try scorer.

Another gust of wind from the east.

The only fear for the Darkness supporters may now be the RWC 1999 semi final second half capitulation to Les Frogge.

minorbird

Tom Lawton (22)
This is kind of reminiscent of our match against France last year. Good French start, until the other team gets on a roll and their collective heads drop. A shame, but they will end up on a better side of the draw anyway, so not too bad.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Les Frogge just bought the big dummy from Lord Carter, quick pass to the Sheeps Dagg to stroll over unopposed under the black dot.

Another Bookies Favourite for first try goes in too late to collect the money. Darkness 19 - Les Bleu 0 22 minutes gone

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Only thing the AB's have to worry about now is injuries. If the scoreline stays at the margin it is going into the 2nd half I'd be resting a few players.

Status
Not open for further replies.