• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC: AUS v ENG (Twickenham): POOL A; 6am (AEDT) Sunday 4 October

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I hate to say it but the ref's performance is going to play a big role in deciding this game.
1. How will he ref the scrum? If England pack straight we should be dominate otherwise we will be punished 3 points nearly each scrum
2. The breakdown? Will Poey, Hooper & Fardy be able to do what they do best or will he penalise them in every 50/50 call?

Discipline will be huge for us, as well as goal-kicking.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
I posed this question several days ago, however, no one chose to reply. Perhaps someone will, now that we know both teams and both benches:

"We have seen plenty of comparisons between both forward packs, but how do our backs compare to the English backs, and ditto for the bench"?!

My opinion of the Wallabies 9 to 15 is that they are more a group of individual players, rather than a coordinated "backline"!
I have no such doubts of 1 to 8 playing "as a combined unit"!

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
What has worried me re the Wallabies backs, is that they are not combining and breaking the line. When a back scores a try it is often on the blindside by an individual, such as by Kurindrani last weekend.
That is why you do need a play maker such as QC (Quade Cooper) to impose himself to make things happen.
Certainly our backs are good in defense, but in attack, ...??

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
What has worried me re the Wallabies backs, is that they are not combining and breaking the line. When a back scores a try it is often on the blindside by an individual, such as by Kurindrani last weekend.
?

Yeah, it's been a while since our backs have worked as a backline unit. Having said that, I'm probably wrong, but I think there's been less stability with our backline with players moving in and out of position, getting called up, getting dropped more so than the forwards over the years.

I'm happy to be wrong though

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think the criticism of our backs is overstated. I think it's more the fact that our forward pack has outshone our backline for the first time in a way, that people aren't use to. There is plenty of firepower in the back line - Kuridrani, Folau, Genia, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) are all potential match winners with ball in hand.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I posed this question several days ago, however, no one chose to reply. Perhaps someone will, now that we know both teams and both benches:

"We have seen plenty of comparisons between both forward packs, but how do our backs compare to the English backs, and ditto for the bench"?!

My opinion of the Wallabies 9 to 15 is that they are more a group of individual players, rather than a coordinated "backline"!

Maybe. I do agree the forwards aren't an issue in that regard. Too an extent i think it is always the case. Apart from the left/right foot kicking combo it is hard to see too many areas where they compliment each other. But these guys have presumably been training as that backline since early in the TRC and should be building an understanding together. Shame we haven't seen much of them in game situations to really know. I will give you an answer in 4 weeks.

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
I think that there will be some set plays against England that have been deliberately not used to create a surprise factor. Now it's on the line we'll see what's been held in reserve.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I hate to say it but the ref's performance is going to play a big role in deciding this game.
1. How will he ref the scrum? If England pack straight we should be dominate otherwise we will be punished 3 points nearly each scrum
2. The breakdown? Will Poey, Hooper & Fardy be able to do what they do best or will he penalise them in every 50/50 call?

Discipline will be huge for us, as well as goal-kicking.

No. We need to take the ref out of the equation by dominating in those areas. All of our blokes have played under this ref before and so there should be a collective plan to keep him happy.

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)

There is much to be said about the value of "combinations" in a backline. I am bloody nervous about the backs as they as this line-up is yet to fire on all cylinders. Cheika has done a lot with this team in a relatively short while so I will remain a believer and trust in the coaches selections for now.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
No. We need to take the ref out of the equation by dominating in those areas. All of our blokes have played under this ref before and so there should be a collective plan to keep him happy.

My point was, even if dominating those area's you can't take the ref out if it. He can easily rewards England's shaddy tactics in the scrum or be trigger happy in breakdowns. (it's happened many times in the past).

Dominating those area's will go a long way, but we can't guarantee anything.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Cheika is the man for the role and I still have confidence that we will win the pool and go deep into the tournament. As a comparison, the coaches of the other main nations have had much more time in the role - most of them the 4 years since the last RWC.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
^^I don't have a particular problem with WR (World Rugby) getting technical advice, but I do have a problem when that advice comes from people who are directly involved with coaching teams. I realise that conflict of interest is a relatively old-fashioned concept these days, but seriously the assistant coach/scrum coach of a side participating in a tournament giving technical advice to the officials who are refereeing the tournament?o_O

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
There is much to be said about the value of "combinations" in a backline. I am bloody nervous about the backs as they as this line-up is yet to fire on all cylinders. Cheika has done a lot with this team in a relatively short while so I will remain a believer and trust in the coaches selections for now.
How many games together have Genia, Foley, Gits had? Just the one?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Relance

Herbert Moran (7)
I wouldn't be too bothered about Poite's performance tbh. Sure, he is a hometown ref and doesn't look like he has a clue about scrums. BUT - he is French. Deep down, in the inmost depths of his consciousness, when the tough calls will need to be made, he will remember: Martin Johnson laughing at the French pack in that 2003 semi-final, Mike Catt scoring tries playing soccer, Josh Lewsey's try in the opening minutes of the 2007 semi-final, Clive Woodward... And he will not falter.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Cheika is the man for the role and I still have confidence that we will win the pool and go deep into the tournament. As a comparison, the coaches of the other main nations have had much more time in the role - most of them the 4 years since the last RWC.

Quick Hands, I have to agree with you, given that 14 months ago I predicted a Wallabies v Ireland final, and two months ago, backed our boys to receive $90 from a $10 investment!

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
The Video analysis on the blog front page (http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/video-analysis-england-vs-wales/) shows the final penalty to ENG was awarded on the 22m line. White No 22 subsequently stands right on the mark and advances about 5 metres to eventually kick the ball into touch, well in front of the mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=62&v=7c25j6tkxc8
Go to the 1 minute mark to see where the kick is taken from.

More stretching of the Laws of the Game from England. Something else for the Referee to keep their eye on.

Law 21.1 (a)
The kicker must take the penalty or free kick at the mark or anywhere behind it on a line through the mark. If the place for a penalty or free kick is within 5 metres of the opponents’ goal line, the mark for the kick is 5 metres from the goal line, opposite the place of infringement.

It's a bit like the straight put in to the scrums - everyone does it, and everyone gets away with it. Irks me too, but as long as all teams get away with it to a similar level, can't really complain.

Another thing that really irks me is the offsides at kick-off. Happens so often, yet blown up so rarely.

Status
Not open for further replies.