• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC: AUS v ENG (Twickenham): POOL A; 6am (AEDT) Sunday 4 October

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think Ford was pretty safe there.

If Garces had called that a scrum to Wales because of the infringement he'd have had his card marked never to referee a test match again.

I also think rugby union would have copped a pasting in the press for what would have been a ridiculously officious decision.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
^^^ Aren't many of the scrum penalties, that are awarded with the frequency as a participation award at a Primary Schools Athletics Day, ridiculously officious decisions as well?

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
Yes especially when the law is "deliberately" collapsing a scrum. When in reality they do well to not accidentally fall down earlier.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
^^^ Aren't many of the scrum penalties, that are awarded with the frequency as a participation award at a Primary Schools Athletics Day, ridiculously officious decisions as well?

Far less so. Sometimes they could reset the scrum instead when it goes down early but I think it's hard to make no call (i.e. no advantage) when one scrum gets in a totally dominant position and the other scrum disintegrates as it goes backwards.

I don't think Garces has the option there to make Ford take the kick again from a metre and a half further back.

M

Moono75

My god I can't wait for this game, fk the AFL and NRL Grand Finals there's only one game this weekend !!
....so I shouldn't be sitting in the office with my West Coast jumper on? I have a very big 48 hours ahead of me. Go the Wallabies and Go the EAGLES!

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

And some are ridiculously out of step with the purpose of the scrum.

There was a scrum in a match the other night where a team won clean scrum ball, booted the ball downfield and the ref came 40-50m back for a scrum penalty.:mad:

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The French are also salivating at the thought of the Orcs being eliminated. Hope Poite gets with the spirit.;)
http://www.lemonde.fr/coupe-du-mond...eterre-en-pleine-deprime_4774025_1616920.html
Possibly we can recreate this feeling:

4774024_6_00f5_stuart-lancaster-le-coach-anglais-apres-sa_aa4ade06d3ef1de574bf5045c952504c.jpg

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
..so I shouldn't be sitting in the office with my West Coast jumper on? I have a very big 48 hours ahead of me. Go the Wallabies and Go the EAGLES!
Personally don't think any one should do that. But your the biggest one eyed wa person I know.. So I'd be Disappointed if you didn't

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Tahtrajic

Ted Fahey (11)
England are still favourites on all the betting websites.
They are favourites for 2 reasons.
1. Bookies always think the home team will win in close games.
2. Poite is a Frenchman and they are like a woman. They hate being told what to do or think be anyone.So all the press about the scrum is going in one ear and out the other.

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
2. Poite is a Frenchman and they are like a woman. They hate being told what to do or think be anyone.So all the press about the scrum is going in one ear and out the other.
3. More people are betting more $$$ on England winning than Australia

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

And because its England in their own Tournament, combined with the fact they have beaten us at Twickenham the last 2 encounters and beaten us 4 times out of the last 5.

History shows they are favourites. So it's up to our boys to make history.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
I'm happy with the 23, although I would have been even more-so, (for obvious reasons), if Sam Carter was on the bench.
When we beat England, he and a few other fringe players, may get to play against Wales.

Joeleee

Ted Fahey (11)
I think Ford was pretty safe there.

If Garces had called that a scrum to Wales because of the infringement he'd have had his card marked never to referee a test match again.

I also think rugby union would have copped a pasting in the press for what would have been a ridiculously officious decision.

If calls like that are going to be made (which I think they should), they need to be called consistently across the entirety of every game and to the letter of the law. The English would be right to be annoyed if it was called, because I'm sure you could find 20 other examples of it in other games this RWC. Consistency really is the key.

In my mind, they should do something like use the fading spray paint they used at the Football World Cup to set the mark, and if it's stepped over at all, they should be fierce with officiating it. Admittedly, I doubt that's going to happen though, so probably not much point in talking about it.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

Well if Poite is a decent ref (which I think he is) all the press should be going in one ear and out the other!!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
My god I can't wait for this game, fk the AFL and NRL Grand Finals there's only one game this weekend !!

There is a Schoolboys Test on this afternoon against The Darkness, with our Barbarians taking on Samoa Schools in the curtain raiser, both streamed live from Ballymore, and NRC streamed live (2 games tonight and one on Sunday arvo from Perth). Throw in a bit of ITM cup, and there is no reason to watch any of the inferior codes play in a domestic competition season ending match.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
There is a Schoolboys Test on this afternoon against The Darkness, with our Barbarians taking on Samoa Schools in the curtain raiser, both streamed live from Ballymore, and NRC streamed live (2 games tonight and one on Sunday arvo from Perth). Throw in a bit of ITM cup, and there is no reason to watch any of the inferior codes play in a domestic competition season ending match.
I'll be on that sounds like fun

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
Some pretty shameless buttering up of Poite by Lancaster here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ru...-on-scrummaging-ahead-of-Australia-clash.html

There's also a bit that caught my eye:
England have made representations to Joel Jutge, World Rugby’s high performance match official manager, to clarify any issues raised about the legality of their scrummaging technique ahead of Saturday night’s match against Australia.

Lancaster insisted England “scrummaged honestly”, backed up by the fact that forwards coach Graham Rowntree is regularly consulted by Jutge over scrum technique.
“People can question everything about everything,” Lancaster added. “Graham is consistently asked by World Rugby to help them out in understanding the mechanics of the scrum. He’s an outstanding scrum coach. It’s never been brought up as a concern.”

Status
Not open for further replies.