• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC: AUS v ENG (Twickenham): POOL A; 6am (AEDT) Sunday 4 October

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
What has worried me re the Wallabies backs, is that they are not combining and breaking the line. When a back scores a try it is often on the blindside by an individual, such as by Kurindrani last weekend.
That is why you do need a play maker such as QC (Quade Cooper) to impose himself to make things happen.
Certainly our backs are good in defense, but in attack, .??

So when Japan, Canada etc put together a beautiful run of linking and passing play where is their QC (Quade Cooper)?

I do not buy this X factor bullshit. Yes QC (Quade Cooper) is a wonderful player, and a game changer on his own, but it doesn't substitute for in depth support, running angles and effort in the practice of the passing/kicking skills. That is where so many of our players have been deficient, and in some cases for years.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Been tossing and turning with excitement for this game all week. I work with a fair few Poms and the banter has been relentless since the result the other night, been the best week at work in a very long time!

That said, it will all go to shit if we find a way to lose this Sunday morning and I doubt I'll be fronting up for work on Monday morning if we lose.

It's going to come down to set piece execution and Foley's radar. Praying he has a blinder with the boot and we see plenty of Aus rolling* mauls.

Maybe I'm going crazy here but I'm tipping Wallabies by 15.

Edit: (sp)...wtf is a rauling maul

Reactions: BDA

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
In terms of past meetings over the years - including games played at twickenham - England have the wood over Australia and on that alone we are the underdogs for this game....

This game against England i reckon will be a lot tougher than people think....Of course I want to see the wallabies win but equally know this is a game which could decide whether we are a chance to move out of the pool of death....

Cpt Crow Eater

Chris McKivat (8)
So when Japan, Canada etc put together a beautiful run of linking and passing play where is their QC (Quade Cooper)?

I do not buy this X factor bullshit. Yes QC (Quade Cooper) is a wonderful player, and a game changer on his own, but it doesn't substitute for in depth support, running angles and effort in the practice of the passing/kicking skills. That is where so many of our players have been deficient, and in some cases for years.

This.

One of Bob Dwyers articles mentions the same thing. One of the reason ol' Bob was praising Giteau is his ability to get "second touches", that being, passing the ball, supporting the runner hard and getting the ball back.

If you see Gits highlights from France nearly all of his tries come from second touches. I think Australia could definitely improve in this regard.

I don't think Australia needs 'X-Factor' and 50/50 plays, we need hard working support runners and increased basic skills.

Ol Bob knows his shit.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

Winning a game 9/10 is generally based on consistency of team performance...and hereby lies the problem....QC (Quade Cooper) is about as consistent as a person aiming for a regular daily bowel movement with chronic diarorea

And keeping with this analogy, he certaintly can shit on the oppositon but equally can spray it all over the place and be very messy on the football field....

More to the point beyond the world cup who is the Wallabies next up and coming 10 as clearly not many have faith that Foley or Quade are really the vaiable solutions for the long haul....

Waiting to hear who people see as Wallabies 10 say 2 years from how....

Sword of Justice

Trevor Allan (34)

Emuarse isn't saying we need an x-factor player. Emuarse is saying we need someone who is proficient at running a backline.

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)

Yeah. Like Willie Le Roux. No use if you make 3 tries but cost 3 on your own through retarded defensive positions and/or tackles. (Yeah yeah he's a fullback but some people think he's integral to our hopes due to alternating with flyhalf and being unpredictable - no use being unpredictable to your own team)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I wouldn't be too bothered about Poite's performance tbh. Sure, he is a hometown ref and doesn't look like he has a clue about scrums. BUT - he is French. Deep down, in the inmost depths of his consciousness, when the tough calls will need to be made, he will remember: Martin Johnson laughing at the French pack in that 2003 semi-final, Mike Catt scoring tries playing soccer, Josh Lewsey's try in the opening minutes of the 2007 semi-final, Clive Woodward. And he will not falter.

Don't forget the sniggering and guffawing in England when France lost to Argentina in RWC 2007 or the France v England quarter final at Parc des Princes in 1991.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
What has worried me re the Wallabies backs, is that they are not combining and breaking the line. When a back scores a try it is often on the blindside by an individual, such as by Kurindrani last weekend.
That is why you do need a play maker such as QC (Quade Cooper) to impose himself to make things happen.
Certainly our backs are good in defense, but in attack, .??

Not many international backlines are breaking the line much these days. Not even the ABs in this tournament. Individual brilliance and the counterratack seem to be the main source of dazzling tries. Defences seem to have improved.

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
I think the whole back line brilliance we expect is a hangover from the Larkham era, but even then it was sporadic. Defenses as Groucho mentioned have improved and coaching/conditioning have reached a level where even Namibia can prevent the All Blacks blowing them out.

But while things may have changed, the basic premise remains the same. You can still "earn" the right to go wide. If Australia can match/dominate in the forwards and produce an overlap or mismatch then we should reap the rewards.

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)

I can't imagine Matt is going to take this lying down:

"It has been conveniently supported by expert analysis on the Green and Gold website, which describes itself as being "for passionate followers of Australian rugby". The founder and editor, Matt Rowley, describes himself as an ‘Under 9's Scrum Doctor,’ which is probably right given his flawed analysis of Joe Marler’s scrum technique."

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
"So, if we’re throwing stones about illegality, the shackle draggers ought to remember that they live in a house the size of the Palm House in Kew Gardens."

:p

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
"So, if we’re throwing stones about illegality, the shackle draggers ought to remember that they live in a house the size of the Palm House in Kew Gardens."

:p

The Soap Dodgers are crapping bricks. #ScrumStraightJoe has got under their collective skin.

Illegal Rolling mauls - Meh. Is that all you've got? Grasp away at your straws. Some have been saying the exact same thing about lineout rolling mauls for quite some time in these forum threads, most since the Jnr RWC in NZ last year.

Tell us something new!

Status
Not open for further replies.