• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC 2011 SF2: Australia vs. New Zealand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sluggy

Ward Prentice (10)
Cooper to 10, JOC (James O'Connor) fullback, McCabe and Fainga'a/Horne in the centres, Ashley Cooper on the wing. Barnes 21, and Fainga'a/Horne 22.

Very conservative line up, but Deans won't try anything else !

Me, I'd roll the dice and put JOC (James O'Connor) at 12, Cooper at 15, Barnes at 10.

The murmurings are Cooper/Barnes wearing 10/15 and basically sharing the positions depending on whats happening.

McCabe/Antfinger/Horne at 12/on the bench depending on fitness.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Digger and JOC (James O'Connor) stay where they are.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Joubert has absolutely no idea what goes on at the scrum. Reality is there are only two who do. Wayne Barnes and Romain Poite.

Wallabies have had barely any success under Joubert lately.

Barnes has NO clue at scrumtime. None.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
The murmurings are Cooper/Barnes wearing 10/15 and basically sharing the positions depending on whats happening.

Minimal change is required if Beale is confirmed out. A straight sway at 15 will work for me.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

so we are not expecting "whats happening" to be happening so fast that we arent caught out with the wrong man in position....what a bullshit way to run a side claiming to RWC contenders: very happy if I get egg on my face over this one

V

voodoo

Beale would be a big loss but playing or not I'd love to Barnes in the team. McCabe was courageous in defense but how much damage can his shoulder take?

Although he's been playing bad it's too late to drop Cooper - Deans has built a team around certain combinations (much based on QLD Reds) and will stick by him. He can't play any worse than last week surely.

But we really need Barnes generally kicking ability, it takes the presure of Cooper giving another option and he is a very good and clever tactical kicker. He is also a talker on the defensive line and in the back line which you really need. Cooper seems more quiet and in defense just constantly seems out of place and in panic mode.

F

François

So we would see Barnes stepping onto the field wearing 15 on his back.. has he ever worn that jersey in his career ? Whatever the answer is, I don't doubt him one second. He is a special player and he was instrumental during his time on the pitch vs the boks.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I'm a huge Beale fan but we don't lose much with Barnes at 15. Maybe, in a RWC semi, his cool head is for the best.

I hope Kurtley recovers though.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't think Barnes at fullback would be a bad idea, with him also being able to interchange with Cooper on certain plays...

Dmac

Frank Row (1)
hmmm... just read this in an article:

Every defending World Cup champion has been beaten at the next tournament by the team that went on to win the Webb Ellis trophy.

interesting.

In reply of course, "no RWC has been won by a team that has lost a pool game".

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
not writing them off. they have been great so far. i think the winner will come from the sunday semi, that is all

Another one who thinks NZ, A, only need to turn up for the final.
I've pointed out in another thread that France and Wales are capable of beating you both, Wales are playing some of the best rugby of the tourny, Incidentally we did beat Ireland:lmao:

da_grubster

Ted Fahey (11)
I've pointed out in another thread that France and Wales are capable of beating you both, Wales are playing some of the best rugby of the tourny, Incidentally we did beat Ireland:lmao:

No, I don't think that but I do think that one of them will win the cup. Why is that so hard to comprehend? Do you really think you will beat NZ at Eden Park? you haven't beaten them since 1953 and have never beaten them in NZ. It is almost an impossible task. You will have a better chance against Aus so pray that they get up this wknd, if you guys van against France that is

Listen, clearly you are excited by Wales' form and good for you but if they lose against france you won;t be sighted on here again. Enjoy your time while it lasts

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)

Aye Dai. -and samoa

nugget

Jimmy Flynn (14)
wales will storm into the final and will be a real handful.

3 kiwi coaches in the final 4 too.

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
Listen, clearly you are excited by Wales' form and good for you but if they lose against france you won;t be sighted on here again. Enjoy your time while it lasts

Thats where you're wrong, Will be here again, we play you at the millenium in November

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I heard about that before. It won't be the first time. In 1995, the reigning champions (Australia) were knocked out by England who were subsequently beaten by New Zealand who in turn were beaten by South Africa.

Almost right, JB. The theory is whomever beats the reigning champion wins the whole shebang: SA beat us in the opening match in 1995.

That seems to've held up for every RWC:

1987 New Zealand win inaugural RWC
1991 Australia d New Zealand
1995 South Africa d Australia
1999 Australia d South Africa
2003 England d Australia
2007 South Africa d England
2011 Australia d South Africa (I fucken hope!)

Scotty

David Codey (61)
If Beale is out, I'd prefer to see Cooper 15, Barnes 10. Cooper defends there anyway and they can easily share first and second receiver positions.

In reality this is probably what will happen they just won't have those numbers on their backs. It could be quite brilliant if deans also plays barnes at 10 in attack, particularly early in the game. Then Cooper can choose when to involve himself and will have more space. As mentioned earlier they can also stand either side of the ruck to help split the defense. We also gain a lot from having barnes defend at 10, organization and allowing digby to stay on the wing.

Reactions: BPC
Status
Not open for further replies.