• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC 2011 SF2: Australia vs. New Zealand

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
If we beat NZ then a team that lost a pool game has to win the RWC for the first time ever.

If we lose to NZ, then the team that knocked out the defending champs hasn't won the RWC.

I heard about that before. It won't be the first time. In 1995, the reigning champions (Australia) was knocked out by England who were subsequently beaten by New Zealand who in turn were beaten by South Africa.

Sure, its true in every other World Cup, but in every other WC in the 2000s it has happened in the final.

Take from that what you will.

What Braveheart said. If NZ win the semi, whoever wins the final won't have beaten the previous champ. If Aus win, whoever wins the final will have lost a pool match.

See above :)

The other piece of interesting trivia about the semi finals is that we currently have the same four teams in the semi finals (albeit in different arrangement) as we did in 1987. Which was also the last RWC which was held in New Zealand. I'm sure we all know who won that one, so I personally am hoping that history is not repeated :).

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
My daughter discovered this during a research for an assignment:

At the 1999 RWC, the IRB created a rule to the effect that a referee was not to be appointed to a match in which the winning team might next play a team from his homeland.

In their selection of the officials to run the quarter-finals matches this weekend, the panel has allowed several breaches of the 1999 ruling. Bryce Lawrence, a New Zealander, is refereeing Australia versus South Africa. The winner of this match could play New Zealand, if the All Blacks defeat Argentina. It is immaterial that Wallabies prop Ben Alexander says he is happy with Lawrence's officiating. The fact is that the appointment is contrary to the IRB's own processes. Why is Englishman Wayne Barnes an assistant referee in the Ireland-Wales match when the winner could play England? Why are the Irishmen Alain Rolland and George Clancy assistant referees for England versus France when the winner could play Ireland? Why are the South Africans Jonathan Kaplan an assistant referee and Shaun Vedsmannthe TMO for the New Zealand versus Argentina match when the winner could play South Africa?

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/r...s-own-rules-20111007-1ldj2.html#ixzz1aMNjylMd
Think that rule may have been overuled when the desicion was made to go to a 8 man or whatever ref panel. I can't believe anyone worried about who ref is, and Grubs I would be happy with Barnes, he was a bit young in 07, but has developed into a good ref, although a little schoolteacher type, and not so likely to let oress get to him.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I heard about that before. It won't be the first time. In 1995, the reigning champions (Australia) was knocked out by England who were subsequently beaten by New Zealand who in turn were beaten by South Africa.

Sure, its true in every other World Cup, but in every other WC in the 2000s it has happened in the final.

Take from that what you will.

See above :)

The other piece of interesting trivia about the semi finals is that we currently have the same four teams in the semi finals (albeit in different arrangement) as we did in 1987. Which was also the last RWC which was held in New Zealand. I'm sure we all know who won that one, so I personally am hoping that history is not repeated :).

do the kiwis accept they lost in 1995 or only that they scored less points due to being poisoned by the waittress

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Grubs I not worried about Cruden, or Duck for that matter, hells teeth if either have good day they pretty good, though perhaps not as good as Quade at top of his game(that we haven't seen for awhile), but if they off day,I don't think they are as bad as Quade on bad day.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
do the kiwis accept they lost in 1995 or only that they scored less points due to being poisoned by the waittress

Lol we lost, everyone knows that, but if ya can have evryone crook, nothing like throwing in an excuse. Much like the Bryce's fault that Irish won a couple of weeks back huh??

J

Jay

South Africa beat Australia earlier in that tournament (in the opening match), so it's just phrased wrong. The eventual winner has beaten the previous winner in every tournament bar the first one.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Lol we lost, everyone knows that, but if ya can have evryone crook, nothing like throwing in an excuse. Much like the Bryce's fault that Irish won a couple of weeks back huh??

you wont catch me making excuses: read about it in the paper I say
the clear cut outcome without the possibility of any appeal to a higher power is the attraction of sport, i think

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
I thought quade was pretty good in the Italy game and the final game of the tri-nations (foul play aside). He has been very closely watch by teams lately. He did do a few good things on the weekend. I think with a player like quade you are going to get those games where he looks dangerously inept. That's just the type of player he is. In 2009, I really just viewed Cooper as a liability more than anything. He was flashy but you knew he was going to cost you a game at some point. But I think he's improved his compusure over the last 2 years.

On a good day he creates alot of chances and given that the opposition are putting a lot of their focus on shutting him down, other players like O'Connor, Barnes and Beale probably benefit.

I still think quade is a great flyhalf. To be fair he has copped a fair amount of flack over the last month. I am confident that he'll bounce back this weekend and provide a point of difference. As Australians, I think a guy like quade, who has steered the ship all year, deserves our support.

Changing flyhalfs now would be mindless, unfair, too risky and just plain inaffective. The last game we played against the All Blacks without Quade we lacked spark in the back line.

As bad a Quade played this week, one has to imagine that if he has a great game this weekend there is a good chance he could outplay his opposite number, who's just been drafted into the team.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
This match is going to be awesome.

Will be interesting to see how Elsom & Pocock go against Kaino & McCaw. Joubert won't let them get away with too much shit in the breakdown, which can only be a good thing for Australia. If Genia outplays Weepu I think we will take this one, line-out needs some work but I don't think they are going to be stronger than the South African scrum.
How can Joubert not letting Pocock and Elsom get away with anyting going to help Wallabies??

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
South Africa beat Australia earlier in that tournament (in the opening match), so it's just phrased wrong. The eventual winner has beaten the previous winner in every tournament bar the first one.

Okay, that makes more sense. Appreciate the clarification. :thumb

drewprint

Alan Cameron (40)
How can Joubert not letting Pocock and Elsom get away with anyting going to help Wallabies??

By 'them' light is referring to both teams backrows, not just Pocock and Elsom. Breakdown mayhem against New Zealand can only end poorly for Australia.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
This game will probably be the last change for the All Blacks to choke in the WC. If they take this one, they'll win the WC in 2011. The Wallabies need some urgent repair work on their scrum and line out. No way they will win it if they produce the same 1st phase play. I still cant understand why Sheppard isnt in the starting line up. At least he is solid on your ball and will fix it. Dunno about the scrums. You need a complete change in gameplan to beat them, need to run them off their feet.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
By 'them' light is referring to both teams backrows, not just Pocock and Elsom. Breakdown mayhem against New Zealand can only end poorly for Australia.

Yep drew, i was tongue in cheek, I suspect he was meaning opposite to me.

da_grubster

Ted Fahey (11)
This game will probably be the last change for the All Blacks to choke in the WC. If they take this one, they'll win the WC in 2011. The Wallabies need some urgent repair work on their scrum and line out. No way they will win it if they produce the same 1st phase play. I still cant understand why Sheppard isnt in the starting line up. At least he is solid on your ball and will fix it. Dunno about the scrums. You need a complete change in gameplan to beat them, need to run them off their feet.

Not sure if they will be able to PB, the Ab's arent the boks and can fight fire with fire against the Wobs in the backs. NZ have been building nicely so far, good win against France and now we played a good game of knockout rugby against the argies who competed well. It is now do or die for both teams and I am expecting NZ to raise thier game a few notches, which we will have to do.

Clearly their will be no complacency going into this match - lost to Aus last time and no carter so everyone will have to bring their a game to win it. Whoever wins this game will take the cup

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
when did Quade last have a good game for the wobs? SA at home in the tri nations?

When has Cooper played well when the Aussies have been put under a lot of pressure?
In the first Bledisloe and the game last week, he folded.
I think he might be a flat-track bully.

gone

Ted Fahey (11)
Beale has been ruled out.

I assume JOC (James O'Connor) will go to fullback. Left field suggestion: quade to 15, barnes to 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.