• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC 2011 - Quarter final 3 : Springbokke v. Wallabies CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
havnt read all the thread so apologies if this has already been written.

lose or draw, there are 2 things i want,

1 - a team that plays with passion and pride for 80 minutes

2 - a team that plays there own style, Robbie you had a four year plan, i dont want selections that will combat the Bokke, i want selection that the Bokke will have to combat.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Boks have delayed selection until Friday because of injury to Habana and Pietersen.

The selection poser is who to play at 12. While the logical choice is de Villiers, there are rumblings of James at 12.

There is every possibility that if one of the two wings are injured, de Villers could run out at wing, with Butch at 12. This might also be why Div is waiting until Friday. If the forecast is for definite rain he might opt for Butch at 12. I don't like it.

Play JdV at 12 and Aplon on the wing if there is injury.

PS Hougaard will always start from the bench which is just the way it is with Div and I don't really have a problem with that.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
PS Pre-tournament reports were that Bismarck will start in the knockout rounds.

We shall wee if Div keeps with that plan. There seems to be some rumblings that he will.

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
Fact is guys, we should stop talking about Lawrence here and now. It smacks of 'excuse-ism' even before we've started.

Nobody has any control over the referee. We just have to play under his interpretations, as do the Springboks. Our captain needs to get a rapport going with him early on. If we're not smart enough at the breakdown or strong enough at scrumtime to cope then tough shit.

Barnes is the best ref in the world, shame he doesn't have a gig.

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
BTW - the Wallabies weekly schedule (released on Sunday by the media manager) says the Wallaby team will be announced on Friday at 1.30pm NZ time @ a presser (if this info hasn't already been posted).

I saw a tweet from JO'C today talking about the team announcement tomorrow. Unless they've change the timings, I assume he's talking about when the players find out about the selection (there's been no amended press release).

Scotty

David Codey (61)
The ref could have the option of applying a long arm after a short arm penalty at tHe same scrum, if the same team infringes. I have no issues with more scrums just issues with the faking of injuries and such that lead to so much down time in the game. Something else that Lawrence allowed the Irish to do constantly.

However it isnt just a ref issue it is a rules issue and should probably be discussed elsewhere.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Fact is guys, we should stop talking about Lawrence here and now. It smacks of 'excuse-ism' even before we've started.

Nobody has any control over the referee. We just have to play under his interpretations, as do the Springboks. Our captain needs to get a rapport going with him early on. If we're not smart enough at the breakdown or strong enough at scrumtime to cope then tough shit.

This, dont agree on Barnes. He still have a long way to go to be the best.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
So who is a long way ahead of him?
I'll take Mark Lawrense , Craig Joubert, Stuart Berry and Peypler anyday in front of him. You have no idea how frustrated it is to watch CC rugby after the WC games and to see how poor the refs are.

T

truckandtrailor

I had my fingers crossed for Craig Joubert... but I guess they were worried to put a South African official on a South African Finals match.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
2 - a team that plays there own style, Robbie you had a four year plan, i dont want selections that will combat the Bokke, i want selection that the Bokke will have to combat.

Yes 100%, I'm so fucking sick of Deans picking players simply to combat their opposites. This is acceptable to some extent, but why pick McCabe to combat de Villiers? Pick Barnes and make them find a way to deal with us having that extra playmaking and kicking option.

I really hope Deans picks Barnes, unless he has lost the last 1% of faith I had in him. Negative selections are ridiculous when you are a supposed powerhouse of world rugby.

This is nothing against McCabe, but Barnes IS the right option.

And now to wait for Slim to defend McCabe :p

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
McCabe brings a hard hitting defence alloyed to very good close support in breakdowns, and a direct attack that straightens defences. His workload, and the quality of that load, read dominant and key tackles, when combined with Pocock, give us a defensive structure that saw us the best defenders in the 3N. In RWC 1 and 2 we conceded no tries. Yet in 3 and 4 we conceded four. 3 of them vs Russia.

On the other hand Berrick, who certainly can tackle, brings a more dynamic attack, and apparently takes the pressure off Quade, particularly with his kicking but brings less defensive impact.

Defence is 50% of rugby. Is Quade that bad we need 2 playmakers?

http://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/5730944/Wallabies-consider-backline-options-for-Boks

Point being McCabe brings his own brand of excellence to our game, and it works.

Berwick does too, but the above is why I believe McCabe is so valuable.
We're about to take on Roussouw, Brussouw, Burger and Fourie.

If we win that, we face Kaino, Read, Nonu, McCaw, and the Ab Backline at their best form in two years.

And that is why I like McCabe. We have a wealth of attack, McCabe and Pocock temper that offense.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

This.

I don't like Lawrence, and I think the game against the Boks, which we won, was the worst performance I've seen from a red in a test match this year...

BUT...

We've had the advantage of playing several tests under him this year, and if we can't adapt to him then we have the dumbest team at the cup and should go home now...

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
You mention Burger, Fourie and Roussouw. McCabe didn't do much to stopping O'Brien, Ferris and Heaslip a few weeks back.

Barnes ability to have that calming effect is vital in knock out rugby, especially if it's wet conditions. Allowing Quade to not have to overplay his hand is also very beneficial.

I just think the approach is too orientated towards "how can we stop them" as opposed is to "how will they have to stop us". Almost a Damage Control approach

I understand both arguements though, but I'm firmly behind Barnes being selected.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I agree.

We should drop every player who played against Ireland for that reason.

The main reason I've been in staunch defense of McCabe is for this reason.

The knives had been sharpened from the start, and as soon as their was a bad performance (along with EVERY player in the team) - BAM!

Funny thing is he was far from being the worst player on the field. Put in strong defencce and made a few turnovers.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
It's not like Barnes is a bad defender though? Not as good as McCabe but he makes up for that with what he offers in attack.

McCabe running straight into de Villiers and Fourie is not going to do much for us, both are probably the best defensive center combination going around. But if Barnes is selected we can play a wider game with Quade and co playing havoc.

The Boks struggle with the expansive game, so why take away one of our best attacking combinations.

Status
Not open for further replies.