• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC 2011 - Quarter final 3 : Springbokke v. Wallabies CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
My team for Sunday

1. Alexander
2. Moore
3. Slipper
4. Horwill
5. Sharpe
6. Elsom
7. Pocock
8. Samo
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Ioane
12. Barnes
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. O'Connor
15. Beale

16. TPN (come on with 25 minutes to go)
17. Kepu (come on with 25 to go, to replace Slipper)
18. Vicks (Replace Sharpe in the 3rd or 4th quarter)
19. Higgers (Come on at the 50 minute mark for Samo)
20. Burgess
21. McCabe
22. Fainga'a / McCalman (We'll probably have to go with an extra back given that a few players are returning from injuries)

I think from top to bottom this will be the strongest Wallabies 22 we've seen this year!

There is a few tough choices here for me.

-Firstly i went for Sharpe over Vicks due to his leadership, particularly at line-out time. To be honest I'm not too worried if its the other way round. Vicks suits the physical approach of the Boks so both players have pluses and minuses. What seals the deal for me is my memory of Sharpe's last performance against the Boks earlier this year. I thought he was outstanding. He muscled up too. I think I prefer the idea of upping the physicality towards the end of the match. Bringing on guys like Vicks/TPN/Higgers/McCabe towards the end of the match will help us come home strong.

-Who to start at no.8 is difficult. Again I'd like to see either Samo/Higgers start with the other on the bench. I think Samo is probably a better choice to start and he appears to be match fit at the moment, so he could play 80 if absolutely necessary.I'd have no problem seeing McCalman on the bench, but i think deans will choose an extra back.

-Barnes and McCabe should both be in the 22. Again there are pros and cons to starting either at 12. Starting McCabe would be good because the game is at its most physical early on, so he'll be there to take the edge off of the opposition's hits. So I could definitely see some worht in giving him the first 40 minutes. However, I think every man and his dog can see the difference he makes to our attack. Lately there has been too much pressure placed on Cooper. It cant be easy having half the crowd boo you every time you get the ball, with expectations that you'll do something sensational, particular with a retreating pack. Barnes has a cool head and a good boot. He handles pressure better than Cooper does. He can certainly take some pressure off Cooper which should not only help us move around the park but should allow Cooper to relax into the game a bit better. If we are in front in the final 20 minutes of the game I would actually consider moving Barnes to full back with McCabe slotting in at 12.

Really looking forward to this game and I think the Wallabies are going to go out there and have a cracker. If the forwards show up we are in with a great shot of heading to the Semi final, if not it will be a slow death. This is definitely going down to the wire and you get the feeling that a ref decision here or there will decide the match (which is a shame given that Lawrence seems to have major issues with our scrum) With that said, if our players turn up there is no reason to fear the ref.

This game will really measure Deans success over the last four years. If we win we'll have knocked out the defending champs and win or lose to the Kiwis we'll be able to hold our heads high. If we go down this Sunday, this tournament will have been a disaster.

Go Wallabies!!

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
And if Quade gets a case of the brainfarts then we can just shift Berrick one spot in...

It's a shame about Horne because I would've liked to have seen him get some decent game time at 13 in the pool stages.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s dummy and fend has become way too predictable.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s dummy and fend has become way too dependable.

I guess I'm just looking at it from a different perspective; I see AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) gaining metres and locking them in.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
It's not like Barnes is a bad defender though? Not as good as McCabe but he makes up for that with what he offers in attack.

McCabe running straight into de Villiers and Fourie is not going to do much for us, both are probably the best defensive center combination going around. But if Barnes is selected we can play a wider game with Quade and co playing havoc.

The Boks struggle with the expansive game, so why take away one of our best attacking combinations.

Good point.

In relation to a wider game, the advantage of Barnes is we can use Cooper to attack at 12 on occaisions giving him that little extra time and space. It is hardly a secret that if you shut Cooper down you effectivly shut the Wallaby backline down. If we want to stop a defender in his tracks, just swap our centres in defence.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has to distribute more. He pulls defenders in then never capitalises on the opportunity he has created for his outside man. We have seen him do it but he needs to do it more.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I guess I'm just looking at it from a different perspective; I see AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) gaining metres and locking them in.

He's done well in recent weeks (albeit against poor opposition and/or on the wing), but the better teams aren't falling for it.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
Absolutely. Quade plays really well as a league-style five-eighth, running second-man plays from depth. His lateral movement is ridiculous, so if he gets the space the opposition can't actually rush up.

It's a tactic pretty much negated by rain though.

Edit: I failed at quoting then, so deleted it. I was referring to Ruggo's post.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has to distribute more. He pulls defenders in then never capitalises on the opportunity he has created for his outside man. We have seen him do it but he needs to do it more.

Or at least be in position for a quick recycle, which means good support from others. One of the Wobs problems is throwing the ball for an extra pass when they should take the hit and recycle. It seemed to me that we were a bit slow to the ruck area against Russia once Pocock went off.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
All the talk has been about who to play at 12, the breakdown, forwards manning up etc.

In my opinion that's all good but the real factor in this match will be whether the Wobs can unlock the Boks umbrella style defense. We have never employed this strategy against Australia. It has worked well in the pools. The commentators kept talking about getting around the outside of Fourie which could work if you can confuse him and the winger with decoy runners. That's the Wobs best chance of scoring regardless of weather in my opinion because you have the guys to run decoy better than most.

Easier said than done because the second layer of defense we use is a mad scramble by the scrumhalf and one loose forward to pick up and slipped tackles (which happen often because of the structure). Exactly what the Stormers did with Duvenhage and Louw. Even when tackles slipped in the first line, they were there.

It's exactly what the Stormers did only I think it is now being done better. Well, it was with Frans Steyn at 12. Jean de Villiers has looked sus in first up tackling lately.

One of the hallmarks of our defense is that we leave no space close in, regardless of the apparent turnstile Morne carries with him. The key is to get Fourie to start guessing. The Welsh or Samoans never worked it out.

Oh and kick better out of hand than us, which is what you have done against us lately.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I expect cooper and barnes to just kick in behind you or wait for a disorganised line. I think if australia wins they need to firstly dominate the break down, and secondly have good structures in place to manage the high ball and turn it into counter attack. For a small man genia is very good under the the high ball so i expect him to field the kicks and then distribute to quade and one of the outside runners. Counter attack is totally depended on support play, which is something the wallabies have been lacking this year. If the lads chase the kicks, run support lines and get to the breakdown quickly than the pressure starts to build and the defence will crack. Quade just needs to bide his time, kick to the corners, support the ball carrier and wait for the pigs to perform.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
The one thing I've appreciated about reading this whole Barnes v McCabe debate is that Ant Fainga'a has hardly been mentioned. Anyone remember the Ant V McCabe for 12 arguments floating around here at the start of the tri nations? I think it reflects well on McCabe that Ant is no longer really considered and shows that he has done very well to turn himself into a test level 12 in such a short time. Well done pat.

That said, I'd rather have barnes start. When was the last time a 13 had a good game outside of McCabe?

W

Waylon

Excellent poit re 13 outside McCabe
I too would like to see Ant Fainga'a at 12. he is pound for pound one of the best tacklers going around.
He also has explosive acceleration. He would be great. So would Barnes. McCabe is a plodder

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
What is the injury status on our inside centres?

Can McCabe play with a bung shoulder, more importantly, can he play his 'power-contact' style with a bung shoulder? Because if not I dont really see the point in picking him since the most effective areas on his game will likely be impacted more-so than they would others. While I wouldn't say McCabe has been a passenger in the past, dislocating your shoulder can change a things and so I'd rather see deans have faith in his squad an pick a fit player rather than an injured one.

Update on Finger and Horne anyone?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Excellent poit re 13 outside McCabe
I too would like to see Ant Fainga'a at 12. he is pound for pound one of the best tacklers going around.
He also has explosive acceleration. He would be great. So would Barnes. McCabe is a plodder

I think you need to read what swat actually wrote, and if anyone was a plodder...

Status
Not open for further replies.