• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC 2011 - Quarter final 3 : Springbokke v. Wallabies CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
The Boks often have Spies, Burger and Rossouw attacking and defending either side of their inside centre, so our 12 can not have a dodgy shoulder. He won't last. For this reason I think Fainga'a is our best choice inside centre.

The Boks use an umbrella defence where Fourie pressures his opponent. It is the perfect counter to the Wobs' brilliant outside backs and you can bet Bryce won't keep them onside. It is a tactic that the ABs used against AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in the first of the tri-nations and he couldn't cope, he had a shocker and Deans moved him to winger thereafter, so he is not our answer at 13. We need an experienced outside centre who can counter Fourie's defence and provide space and time for Ioane, JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale. So at 13 I would pick Horne if he is only half fit, otherwise go with McCabe.

Samoa showed us how to beat the Boks- be physical and throw the ball around at every opportunity so their forwards and set pieces fall apart.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
All this talk about "unlocking" the Boks' defence. The Wallabies will do what they have done for the last 2 or 3 years. Score all our points from individual brilliance - Beale, JOC (James O'Connor), Cooper. You don't play a guy like McCabe if you are expecting to unlock anything. He doesn't even look for the key. It's all about taking it up for 3 or 4 phases then Cooper throws it to his second line and hopes something happens.

grievous

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Just saw footage of the squad training in a gym. It was wet outside.....What the Fucking fuck???? It has to be wet on sun, every other game so far has. Are we just stupid?

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Its ok. Ken Sutcliffe was on 9 news this morning touting the wet as a leveller as the Boks have a poor history in Wellington. WTF?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Just saw footage of the squad training in a gym. It was wet outside.....What the Fucking fuck???? It has to be wet on sun, every other game so far has. Are we just stupid?

Robbie Deans is the Wicked Witch of the West. If he gets wet, he'll melt.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

JOC (James O'Connor) and Saia tweeted they had a big session this morning saying the wind was incredible and then they were having a gym session as well.

I'd say it was more the poor camermen didn't want to get wet so decided to focus on the indoor session.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
When I was playing in the Subbies games where cancelled during "wet weather" which was pretty funny for my teamates from Europe.
Is it the same in the Shute Shield, Qld PR and school competition?
That could explain why the Wallabies are struggling when it is raining.

NSW Subbies is a different beast entirely from pro-rugby.

The grounds are managed by ground keepers separate from the rugby teams - generally they are council-run, but others are university (eg UNSW). It's the ground keeper who control whether the games are played by deciding how much damage they will tolerate to the wet fields, not the clubs.

As many of the fields are used for multiple sports (mainly cricket in the rugby off-season, but some also for soccer, AFL, etc), the ground keepers try to make sure that the field stays in the best condition possible - and this means no games that will turn the field into a mudpath in pooring rain, sadly.

grievous

Johnnie Wallace (23)
JOC (James O'Connor) and Saia tweeted they had a big session this morning saying the wind was incredible and then they were having a gym session as well.

I'd say it was more the poor camermen didn't want to get wet so decided to focus on the indoor session.

Passing, line out throws, stretching.....didnt see a piece of gym equipment, it was an indoor b/ball court. EVERY minute should be spent in that weather, I just dispair at that carry on, too soft

grievous

Johnnie Wallace (23)
NSW Subbies is a different beast entirely from pro-rugby.

The grounds are managed by ground keepers separate from the rugby teams - generally they are council-run, but others are university (eg UNSW). It's the ground keeper who control whether the games are played by deciding how much damage they will tolerate to the wet fields, not the clubs.

As many of the fields are used for multiple sports (mainly cricket in the rugby off-season, but some also for soccer, AFL, etc), the ground keepers try to make sure that the field stays in the best condition possible - and this means no games that will turn the field into a mudpath in pooring rain, sadly.

I think he has a point though, its very much a Sydney problem (not sure about Bris) I can remember many many muddy games in Adelaide yet only a handful in Syd, in fact I remember more bone dry rock hard grounds that resemble a lunar surface.

pissedoffihavetoregister

Alfred Walker (16)
i keep looking at the 10 day forecast for wellington. It was sunday monday sunny. Now its just sunday sunny. I don't mind it sunny and partial showers as long as the showers are after the match. Keep your fingers crossed!

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Samoa showed us how to beat the Boks- be physical and throw the ball around at every opportunity so their forwards and set pieces fall apart.

Samoa beat the Boks?

Oh you mean the way they played? What, holding defenders down, constant offside, delibaretely trying to provoke the Boks into a fight (for which all credit has to go to Matfield, he was constantly ion everyon's ear to not retaliate. His leadership in that game was nothing short of brilliant). At one stage I heard Vic say to someone else ("Laat hulle kom" - which means let them come, they won't get through). If anything we kept our structure and that is why we won.

Halfway through the second half another ref would have lined up at least three Samoans on the bench for all sorts of foul play. How can a ref stand watching when a player gets pulled out of a ruck by his hair by two oppo players? The ref was scared to bin them.

I do not condone one bit of foul play we have ever committed. I have been very cricitical of Schalk and Bakkies. But what happened against Samoa in that second half does not belong on a rugby pitch.

Fuck Samoa. They want to bark like a big dog but they piss around like puppies. If there energy went into playing rugby they would have had a better chance against us an Wales. Instead they tried to intimidate the Boks. Fucking brilliant idea that. Their captain whinged at every post match interview and as for Eliota comparing the ref to the holocaust?

There is a video doing the rounds of all the off the ball incidents. It was a farce.

I don't think there is anything for the Wallabies to learn from Samoa other than you have to vary your attack if you wish to get through. Pity the Samoans are too worried about who they can hit illegally next rather than focusing on their game plan.

</end Blue ranting about Samoa>

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
i keep looking at the 10 day forecast for wellington. It was sunday monday sunny. Now its just sunday sunny. I don't mind it sunny and partial showers as long as the showers are after the match. Keep your fingers crossed!

You just can't rely on long term weather forecasts. In Wellington, tomorrow's weather forecast is considered long term.

You just have to wait until about 3 on Sunday before you will get an idea of what the weather will be like. Except that it will be windy, I can tell you that now.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
You just can't rely on long term weather forecasts. In Wellington, tomorrow's weather forecast is considered long term.

You just have to wait until about 3 on Sunday before you will get an idea of what the weather will be like. Except that it will be windy, I can tell you that now.

I asked the receptionist at my hotel before the SA Wales game if he thought it was going to rain and he told me to wait until after kickoff and ask him again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.