• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC 2011 - Quarter final 3 : Springbokke v. Wallabies CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think he has a point though, its very much a Sydney problem (not sure about Bris) I can remember many many muddy games in Adelaide yet only a handful in Syd, in fact I remember more bone dry rock hard grounds that resemble a lunar surface.

It may be a Sydney problem, but it's not through the fault of the clubs. Just about all would rather play on wet weekends - mainly because getting a catchup game in is quite often nigh on impossible. There are few wet weather catch up weekends (ie byes), and they are normally at inconvenient times (like, 3rd week of the season and middle of uni holidays), and there are not enough of them. As a result, catchup games are quite often scheduled for a Sunday (after a Saturday game), from which one team will invariably forfeit, or mid-week at training nights...from which one team will typically, but not always, forfeit - depending on where the team is on the ladder (finals chance - no forfeit for that team, but will typically play half the grade up just to be sure).

Some clubs like Colleagues are fortunate enough to have more liberal ground keepers who let some games go on in mud baths, other clubs are lucky if they can just get permission to get their firsts onto the field. Anyway, this is off topic enough for me!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Russians were playing the law of averages. It's like if you're tossing a coin and have had 9 heads in a row, it's almost guaranteed that the next one will be a tail.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Schalk-Burger-Training-111005G300.jpg

Burger at training. Also hanging onto his balls.

With his right hand itself on the right spot, he's emulating KB (Kurtley Beale), being a d...head himself, though I admire his uncompromising play...

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
:) :) Obviously they didn't do any video analysis of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at all!

The Russians were playing the law of averages. It's like if you're tossing a coin and have had 9 heads in a row, it's almost guaranteed that the next one will be a tail.

Its not like the law of averages (see below). Its like playing with a double-headed coin. Heads I'll dummy and fend, tails I'll pass.

Just because I'm a pedant first and foremost, there is no such thing as the law of averages. Just because you have 9 heads straight previously, unless the coin is dodgy there's a 50% chance of another head and 50% chance of a tail. Statistics 101.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Oh god... I was being sarcastic. Please don't tell me that you thought I was being serious.

I'll post in magenta next time I am being heavily sarcastic.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Watched the Samoa video. You know yourself, Blue, that no-one deserves the cheap shots more than Skulk. Well, one person, but he wasn't playing. He might have got banned from rugby until 2050 if he had.

grievous

Johnnie Wallace (23)
This the South Africa v Samoa violence, on youtube - clearly there was some stuff going on, but it doesn't look too awful (except the knob-grabbing by paul williams)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FqOyLsWt5Qo

The Saffas certainly dont like it up em, how much whinging to the ref was there, Id really like to see us dish some of that stuff out, I dont care how others see us, we are too nice and get pinged enough anyway with Lawrence

grievous

Johnnie Wallace (23)
It may be a Sydney problem, but it's not through the fault of the clubs. Just about all would rather play on wet weekends - mainly because getting a catchup game in is quite often nigh on impossible. There are few wet weather catch up weekends (ie byes), and they are normally at inconvenient times (like, 3rd week of the season and middle of uni holidays), and there are not enough of them. As a result, catchup games are quite often scheduled for a Sunday (after a Saturday game), from which one team will invariably forfeit, or mid-week at training nights...from which one team will typically, but not always, forfeit - depending on where the team is on the ladder (finals chance - no forfeit for that team, but will typically play half the grade up just to be sure).

Some clubs like Colleagues are fortunate enough to have more liberal ground keepers who let some games go on in mud baths, other clubs are lucky if they can just get permission to get their firsts onto the field. Anyway, this is off topic enough for me!

I know the clubs are not to blame, ours had a very disrupted season because of it, we just wanted to play on the soft pitches
I dont know why Sydney councils havent looked at artificial grass, it would have to pay for its self over time

exISA

Fred Wood (13)
Interesting Story on Bryce reffing the Wallabies here:

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-new...ee-wallabies-quarterfinal-20111004-1l5u7.html

Would be great to actually see a video analysis of the scrum penalties he gave in the Irish & Russian matches. Is he really out to get us or is that just the perception?

I was going to do this ( I am a loose head prop now but played hooker for 5 years - 10+years exp in the front row ) - i actually re watched the game just at scrum time and took some stats. 4 out of the 5 penalties were incorrect calls - the 5th was a 50/50 call that could have gone either way . He also made 3 errors whereby Kepu actualy *did* collapse the scrum but he didnt penalise him.

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
The Saffas certainly dont like it up em, how much whinging to the ref was there, Id really like to see us dish some of that stuff out, I dont care how others see us, we are too nice and get pinged enough anyway with Lawrence

Most of that was basically handbags at 5 paces and it wasn't immediately apparent that it was just Samoa to blame.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
I think an important qualification on the virtue of 'niggle' is that it can't just be forwards beating up on backs at the bottom of a ruck. Maybe the Samoans went a bit over the top, but at least they were targetting the big boys.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Strange times. Think the whole of australia has been affected by the pessimism leprechaun that infected this site some days ago. Just heard Quade Cooper on the radio on way home. 'though we've beaten them twice this year.......different ball game... different competition......' What's gone wrong? Can the real Quade Cooper please return to New Zealand immediately as he is needed to thrash SA this weekend and help set up a killer semi with NZ

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Strange times. Think the whole of australia has been affected by the pessimism leprechaun that infected this site some days ago. Just heard Quade Cooper on the radio on way home. 'though we've beaten them twice this year.......different ball game... different competition......' What's gone wrong? Can the real Quade Cooper please return to New Zealand immediately as he is needed to thrash SA this weekend and help set up a killer semi with NZ

Ummmmm.....Quade Cooper is right.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
If he says they'll beat anyone he's arrogant, if he says they're taking nothing for granted he's a pussy.

Can't win with some folks, I guess. Just have to win on Sunday instead.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
If he says they'll beat anyone he's arrogant, if he says they're taking nothing for granted he's a pussy.

Can't win with some folks, I guess. Just have to win on Sunday instead.

I prefer him when he's being a prick. Think the jibes are getting to him. Seems to playing more and more introverted as the matches go on. No way he can play a percentage game and still look world class. He needs to be standing flat and throwing the mad passes so Beale gets some space

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I prefer him when he's being a prick. Think the jibes are getting to him. Seems to playing more and more introverted as the matches go on. No way he can play a percentage game and still look world class. He needs to be standing flat and throwing the mad passes so Beale gets some space

Talking on the radio shouldn't have any relation to how he plays.

FANATIC

Fred Wood (13)
I think it is really considerate of the Kiwis to have us play this all important game in the Green and Gold of the Well caketin.

btw... I am waiting for the Wallaby team line up to be announced, When?

Status
Not open for further replies.