• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC 2011 - Quarter final 3 : Springbokke v. Wallabies CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
The real difference was our inability to turn possession into points. With that much ball camped in your half our one dimensional attack lost us the game. Just couldn't change our plan when what we did was not working.

Good on you blue for fronting up with very rational comments post game. bad luck by the way. I had a SA work mate at the game, I sent him a commiserations email but I expect he wil lbe too devestated to get bcak to me for a a few days. SA have a bright future me thinks, but Matfield will be a huge loss. As a good as a 5 as ever played

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Good on you blue for fronting up with very rational comments post game. bad luck by the way. I had a SA work mate at the game, I sent him a commiserations email but I expect he wil lbe too devestated to get bcak to me for a a few days. SA have a bright future me thinks, but Matfield will be a huge loss. As a good as a 5 as ever played

and seemed like a decent fellow

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
Looked like McCabes shoulder had popped out again, and Beale came off with a leg injury. Those were the obvious ones anyhow.

The worst thing is that it's a repeat injury for both of them. If they're both out of the SF, are we likely to go:

9. Genia
10. Quade
11. Ioane
12. Barnes
13. Fainga'a
14. O'Connor
15. Ashley-Cooper

or are we likely to pick O'Connor at #15 and put AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) on the wing? Perhaps even Turner to #14 and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) stays at #13, with Ant on the bench? Who knows, Robbie is a man of mystery.

EDIT: If Dingo's feeling particularly confident, could he even pick Barnes at #10 with QC (Quade Cooper) at fullback and a Fainga'a/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) midfield? Surely not...

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Fainga'a 13? What's going on with Horne? we could have
9 Genia
10 Cooper
11. Ioane
12. Fainga'a
13. Horne
14. O'Connor
15. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

This works well, Quade and Ant. I am no longer a believer in the double playmaker after todays match, we need to win physically first. Barnes off the bench.

Can I just say, O'Connor in form is the best thing since sliced bread.

FairWeatherAussie

Ted Fahey (11)
According to French tv at the 65 minute mark: 5+ phases - SA 10, Oz 0!

Thats an unbelievable stat. surely that must be the first time Australia has not held the ball all game for a 5th phase. It's hard to argue against the strategy since we did win the game but with the attacking strength of our back line, and our complete inability at the set piece, this seems like a pretty brave strategy.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Saw a doco on discovery just before the game on NZ rugby. None other than Bryce Lawerence being interviewed talkiing about the rugby system and what it means to be an AB. Must be hard to be biased and id not like to see him again.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

Thats an unbelievable stat. surely that must be the first time Australia has not held the ball all game for a 5th phase. It's hard to argue against the strategy since we did win the game but with the attacking strength of our back line, and our complete inability at the set piece, this seems like a pretty brave strategy.
At the end it was 15-0, a staggering stat. Tackles were 3:1. So was territory. Possession 60:40. If Aus had those stats in our favour (when do we ever??) we'd have won by 20 or more, I reckon. The cliche holds true - defence wins in these games. But we still had no right to win that, many could argue.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

And after ten phases the Boks stuffed it up or didn't put bodies into the breakdown and the Wallabies stole the pill. The Wallabies knew if they hung on we'd run out of options.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
And after ten phases the Boks stuffed it up or didn't put bodies into the breakdown and the Wallabies stole the pill. The Wallabies knew if they hung on we'd run out of options.
I was saying this to my mates watching the game with me - keep them pinned for a few phases, and Morne gets flummoxed with lack of options and hoists it. Problem was, the scraps we had were kicked (poorly) back to the Bokke much of the time. All the losing teams thus far have had the chances to win the games, but have not made the best use of possession at crucial times.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
if McCabe is out, its a stright swap either barnes or horne. Fullback, i would prefer AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or JOC (James O'Connor) to quade, highball safety.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Several points folks: 1. Quade has been putting up with immense amounts of shit from Kiwis and 'suedo-Kiwis' in the stands, on the streets, on radio, on TV, in the newspapers and online...as Mrs Doug said tonight...."I'd hate our son to cop that crap day after day"! 2. Wobs have lost plenty of those close, shit games, so victory is much sweeter. 3. Yes, I had my "lucky red jocks" on today....for those who didn't see my post from last week, the only time I forgot to to don them was the day we played Ireland! 4. Our daughter watched the match in a bar in Whistler, BC, Canada, (where she lives), and was pissed off with the negative (against the Wobs) Kiwi comentary! Well played Wallabies, a win is a win is a win! When we play the Blacks in the semi, I hope all the Aussies in the crowd boo SBW every time he touches the ball! I don't know why we provide our planes for their (non existent) Air Force, and import their crap wine and apples!

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
This was a heartstopping game to say the least and proves that stats don't prove you'll win anything. We can consider ourselves very lucky to get away with that one.

The territory stat of 80-20% in the Springboks favour must unheard of for a losing side. It goes to show that taking your chances when you get the ball will help you get the win. This is now knockout Rugby and there are no bonus points so tries won't mean much if you lose.

The biggest problem out of that game was the decision making. We had such little ball that we needed to be smart with it, instead of cross field kicks out on the full and wasting the ball, which we hadn't seen for about 5 minutes.

The second problem was our lineout and losing 5 on our own throw didn't help against the best lineout in the world. Another display like that will ensure that we'll be in the 3/4th playoff.

I won't spend much time on the ref, except to say he was poor for both teams but due to our good mate at Ruckin Good Stats we knew he would be.

Next week, we'll need Barnes at 12 to help Quade. It seems he needs a calming hand when things start going to shit like they did tonight, especially if we end up playing the darkness next Sunday. That 22m drop out charge down was something you see in junior Rugby and should never occur at test, let alone senior, level.

A win's a win and we'll take it.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
This was a heartstopping game to say the least and proves that stats don't prove you'll win anything. We can consider ourselves very lucky to get away with that one.

The territory stat of 80-20% in the Springboks favour must unheard of for a losing side. It goes to show that taking your chances when you get the ball will help you get the win. This is now knockout Rugby and there are no bonus points so tries won't mean much if you lose.

The biggest problem out of that game was the decision making. We had such little ball that we needed to be smart with it, instead of cross field kicks out on the full and wasting the ball, which we hadn't seen for about 5 minutes.

The second problem was our lineout and losing 5 on our own throw didn't help against the best lineout in the world. Another display like that will ensure that we'll be in the 3/4th playoff.

I won't spend much time on the ref, except to say he was poor for both teams but due to our good mate at Ruckin Good Stats we knew he would be.

Next week, we'll need Barnes at 12 to help Quade. It seems he needs a calming hand when things start going to shit like they did tonight, especially if we end up playing the darkness next Sunday. That 22m drop out charge down was something you see in junior Rugby and should never occur at test, let alone senior, level.

A win's a win and we'll take it.

Im getting angry with QC (Quade Cooper) just reading this....
He may be copping shit from everyone but, if its affecting him, then it cannot be ignored or forgiven: we cant pick him just because he's copping a rollicking in the press etc. he can only be judged by what he does on the field and not with an allowance for legitimate excuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.