• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC 2011 - Quarter final 3 : Springbokke v. Wallabies CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Yeah, I know. As an avid Tahs fan, ive seen TPN pull it out when he needs to, if both of them get on with 30 to go in full ability, it could be one of the greatest things ever.

Except Bismark is probably the best hooker in the world right now (don't get me started on why they named him on the bench), and Tatafu has been very average, if not poor.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Except Bismark is probably the best hooker in the world right now (don't get me started on why they named him on the bench), and Tatafu has been very average, if not poor.

Yep, agree, it's why I said TPN can pull it out, he has been out of sorts but he loves a good contest and coming on late I think he will want to take him on head to head.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Oh, so you didn't actually read the thread at all?

Cheers.
Bit pointless but I did read the thread. You can carry on blaming the ref, the weather, the sea of tranquility if you want but the original post to which I responded was an Aussie saying that the Wallabies scrum is shite and that is not Bryce Lawrence's fault, READ THE THREAD. The Irish scrum was shite and we are an injury away from being shite again but that is no one's fault but our own. We are trying to get better and there are some cracking young Irish props coming through but the way to do that is not by saying 'the referee is being nasty to us mammy its not our fault'.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Did you read my post? Three of our penalties against Ireland were not warranted and Lawrence has admitted as much.

I'm sure you wouldnt be happy with that if the shoe was on the other foot.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Did you read my post? Three of our penalties against Ireland were not warranted and Lawrence has admitted as much.

That is where you are so wrong, I would not blame the ref. Wales scored a try against Ireland in the last 6 nations that was completely erroneous; We lost by less than a converted try. I do not blame the ref, Period. We did not lose because Kaplan and Allan fucked up, we lost because we did not take the numerous opportunities we had to win the game. When munster were destroyed by the Osprey's scrum last year we could have blamed the ref but we knew that to do such a thing would be to apply rice paper to tectonic plates. I would suggest that you Aussies would be a lot better off firing into your rugby management that has allowed your scrum to become the laughing stock of the world game than pissing about looking at charts of referees performances. You have some of the best players in the world but blaming the ref for your poor scrum will never solve your problem. That said all the best of luck for Sunday, think your game against the Saffers could be a classic.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
We don't have a poor scrum. It's not the best but it's not bad either. What we do have is a perception of a poor scrum and teams taking advantage of the perception to win penalties. If you had been on the recieving end of that you may have a different view of the referees decisions.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
We don't have a poor scrum. It's not the best but it's not bad either. What we do have is a perception of a poor scrum and teams taking advantage of the perception to win penalties. If you had been on the recieving end of that you may have a different view of the referees decisions.
Ireland have been in exactly that situation for the last ten years; there was a period of blaming the ref but, eventually the penny dropped and Irish rugby realised that to be taken seriously the scrum has to be a weapon again!! Of course the Aussie scrum is not bad but once the perception is there that you are weak the refs will side with their remembered perception. Listen, all I am trying to say is that its a bit like AA, until you admit you have got a problem you can't get better. If you remain in denial about your scrummaging difficulties and keep blaming refs etc you won't fulfill the amazing potential you always have behind the front five.

B

BRIX

A little territorial around here I see. If it weren't for the members that support other countries contributing than this thread would look like a conga line full of suck-holes.

John the baptist

Stan Wickham (3)

I think in general thats a good point that at tiimes the scrum contest is being refereed on perception. Its a difficult area at times. Irelands progression in this area came about through Ross getting an extended run with Leinster. But as recently as last NH autumn internationals he couldn't get a game. His emergence combined with the input of Feek as scrum coach has resulted in a marked improvement.

Hopefully the Aussie scrum will get parity at the weekend. That should be all you need to overcome the Saffers.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
I think in general thats a good point that at tiimes the scrum contest is being refereed on perception. Its a difficult area at times. Irelands progression in this area came about through Ross getting an extended run with Leinster. But as recently as last NH autumn internationals he couldn't get a game. His emergence combined with the input of Feek as scrum coach has resulted in a marked improvement.

Hopefully the Aussie scrum will get parity at the weekend. That should be all you need to overcome the Saffers.
That is all the Aussies need to be the best team in the world but that ain't going to happen if they keep looking at ref charts. But that doesn't mean you are having Feek and Smal!?! They are nearly as Irish as me!!!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

It will be interesting to see whether Bryce's attitude has changed in the wake of this. Or if he'll just make the same mistakes again and then apologise afterwards.

Obviously you watched The Rugby Club too. They were equally dumbfounded as most of us about the near certain selection of McCabe today.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
It will be interesting to see whether Bryce's attitude has changed in the wake of this. Or if he'll just make the same mistakes again and then apologise afterwards.

Obviously you watched The Rugby Club too. They were equally dumbfounded as most of us about the near certain selection of McCabe today.
Keep blaming the Ref.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Give it a rest champ.

Even after a dozen Guinness' a one-eyed Irishman would have been able to tell that a few of those scrum penalties went the wrong way.

If you go back and read the Wallabies vs Ireland thread you will see pretty much all the regular posters here (myself included) commended the Irish on their performance and said they completely outplayed the Wallabies. That doesn't diminish the fact that Bryce Lawrence made quite a few very average calls.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Jeez I feel like this thread needs to be locked and we are still 48 horus away from game time. What are the semis and finals going to be like?

BTW, great analysis ruckinggoodstats

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
That is all the Aussies need to be the best team in the world but that ain't going to happen if they keep looking at ref charts. But that doesn't mean you are having Feek and Smal!?! They are nearly as Irish as me!!!

We are not the coaches of the team. We are fans looking at the various reasons Australia do and don't win matches. One of those reasons is that we don't have a very good scrum. Another one of those reasons is that on occassions our forwards are soft as shit and forget to turn up. You may have noticed we spend a lot of time talking about that, backline structures, and a lot of other things.

It's not off limits to talk about a ref's performance. We might complain a bit but we also have serious discussion and analysis which I and many others think is warranted.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Ireland have been in exactly that situation for the last ten years; there was a period of blaming the ref but, eventually the penny dropped and Irish rugby realised that to be taken seriously the scrum has to be a weapon again!! Of course the Aussie scrum is not bad but once the perception is there that you are weak the refs will side with their remembered perception. Listen, all I am trying to say is that its a bit like AA, until you admit you have got a problem you can't get better. If you remain in denial about your scrummaging difficulties and keep blaming refs etc you won't fulfill the amazing potential you always have behind the front five.

I'm guessing you didn't watch any of the aus vs SA trinations games? Aus got a lot more than parity in those games.

Status
Not open for further replies.