• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC 2011 - Quarter final 3 : Springbokke v. Wallabies CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

ShapeShifter

Just some info on the refs.

Although i think Nigel Owens needs to be No. 11 on this list. LAst week he was NO. 1. Impossible my gran has better eyesight!!!

attachment.php

P

potjiekos

You contradicted yourself as soon as you said "BdP is arguably the best hooker in world rugby at the moment. PERIOD!!!!"

There's no justification for leaving the best hooker in the world on the bench.

No contradiction at all. At this stage of the WC, besides the fact that he's successfully led the boks to a WC triumph, John Smit's value as captain of the bok team far outweighs Bdp's abilities. While his (BdP) individual moments of brilliance may look good on a highlight reel, in most instances, especially in a QF, it doesn't win you the match.

It is a foregone conclusion that games are won by teams who are comprised of individuals that are on the same page and that executes team tactics and game plans effectively. John Smit, as a leader, is integral in this regard.

Have viewed many a game where when it seemed that the boks were down and out...low morale, fatigued... he'd gather the team in a huddle behind the posts after an opposition team has scored for example, give them a stern dressing down and inspire them to lay their bodies on the line.

J

Jay

RuckingGoodStats posted this in the blog:

Ratio of against penalties to for penalties for the wallabies is:

Other Refs - 0.85
Lawrence - 1.83

If you look at that though, the sides Lawrence has reffed have all been strong forward sides that kept it very tight, which the Wallabies tend to struggle against. There's a pretty clear distinction there between the forward oriented sides (Italy, Ireland, SA) and the more expansive ones (Samoa, NZ). Even Russia are fairly forward oriented, as a lot of minnows tend to be.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Most people make excuses after the event not before!?!

Why don't you read the thread, champ? Stats show that Bryce penalizes Australia far more than other refs. Since this is the case, I'm curious as to why he would be appointed to the match. It's a serious question about what criteria are used for allocation. For example, would the IRB appoint Barnes to ref the NZ semi? Or would they take into The Pass That Was Not Called Forward and not assign him? I don't know, but I'd like to.

Personally, I reckon Bryce is just as likely to infuriate both sides. Note all the Saffer members who groaned at his appointment.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I don't want Bryce reffing because he is SHITE! It does seem curious that he penalises the Wallabies twice as much as others. But I can accept it might be a small sample and skewed. But I can't accept him reffing in the knockouts. Of course, if the Wallabies managed to actually adapt to a ref...

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
No contradiction at all. At this stage of the WC, besides the fact that he's successfully led the boks to a WC triumph, John Smit's value as captain of the bok team far outweighs Bdp's abilities. While his (BdP) individual moments of brilliance may look good on a highlight reel, in most instances, especially in a QF, it doesn't win you the match.
Utter boknai (translated: bullshit)

Bismarck is a wrecking machine. It has nothing to do with highlight reels. It's every ruck he hits, every offensive tackle he makes, his lineout throwing, his ability to carry the ball. Smit struggles to make the rucks and is a defensive liability. There are plenty leaders in the team.

Against Wales your Captain Smitastic (and Big Vic) came off and we still dug ourselves out of a shithole without him.

Playing Smit is what could cost us this game. There becuase of a pact he and PdV made in 2007. I got your back buddy .

S

ShapeShifter

I am very suprprised that the Beast is not included in the side not even on the bench, as i see this as the Wallaby weakness, scrum and setpieces. PdV said that he had not formed "part of the plans"? To be honest then im worried about the plan.......

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I am very suprprised that the Beast is not included in the side not even on the bench, as i see this as the Wallaby weakness, scrum and setpieces. PdV said that he had not formed "part of the plans"? To be honest then im worried about the plan.......

Guthro>Beast in most facets of play.

Steenkamp was widely regarded as one of the best LH props in the world not too long ago before he got crocked. Getting back to form. Always better in the scrum than BEast.

P

potjiekos

Utter boknai (translated: bullshit)

Bismarck is a wrecking machine. It has nothing to do with highlight reels. It's every ruck he hits, every offensive tackle he makes, his lineout throwing, his ability to carry the ball. Smit struggles to make the rucks and is a defensive liability. There are plenty leaders in the team.

Against Wales your Captain Smitastic (and Big Vic) came off and we still dug ourselves out of a shithole without him.

Playing Smit is what could cost us this game. There becuase of a pact he and PdV made in 2007. I got your back buddy .

If ever there was a prize for the biggest aussie gatkruiper*, fair-weather bok'fan', then Blue, my ol' mate you'd win hands down.

Your disdain for PdV , and everything that he symbolises, is not only palpable, its downright tragic. (If you'd like, I could recommend a good psycho-therapist that could help you with your condition). You somehow have to find a way to include PdV in a discsussion about John Smit and BdP. Wow!! * aplause*

Btw, Im interested to know whether you were ever privy to this secret pact signed between Pdv and John Smit in 2007 or is this just another topic of discussion raised at your favourite watering hole, during one of your numerous rum-and-coke / mampoer induced states of innebriation?

Its apparent that you prescribe to the school of thought that PdV is merely a political appointment devoid of any coaching abilities ...a puppet of sorts (track record aside).... That when the team loses its all due to PdV's incompetence, but when they win, its all down to the numerous 'leaders' within the team that's responsible for their own coaching!

Blue , you have to unburden your heart, my friend and make peace with the fact that Heyneke Meyer was not appointed as the boks coach, PdV was and by 'kruiping gat' (ie. talking crap about the boks at every opportunity (refer to previous posts in this regard), impresses nobody on this site and only serves to exacerbate your weak and fragile condition. Accepting the staus quo and moving on would start the healing process! (lol)

Oh yes and btw ...... I am a die-hard, green-blooded, bok SUPPORTER..... I support everything about the boks, (in good and bad times!!) and the boks ARE my team.... and by implication, JOHN SMIT IS MY CAPTAIN! ....(my Captain Smitastic..... has a nice ring to it!!)

In response to your comment, I suggest you (1.)read my previous posts on this thread in this regard ; (2.) re-read my previous post on this thread in this regard; (3.) internalise it, contextualise it, committ it to memory and try to comprehend what I was trying to express. (4.) if you cant, then press skip and move on. *wink*

*gatkruip = suck-ass

Ps. No offence intended to my Aussie bretheren.:... Lol *wink*

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Maybe no offense from your end, but I take issue with your post. Blue has been a long time poster, of value, and a passionate Bok fan. He is hardly the only one who has issues with Smit playing, and PdV.
I suggest you cut the personal crap out of your posts pretty damn quickly.

P

potjiekos

Oh my tidlywinks!! Forgot this is an Aussie site!! Have to learn to suck-ass and go with the flow like my fairweather brother..... My
bad cyclopath.

ps. Blue opened up the door (personal), I simply entered....

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Oh my tidlywinks!! Forgot this is an Aussie site!! Have to learn to suck-ass and go with the flow like my fairweather brother..... My
bad cyclopath.

You don't have to suck ass, you need to make points without personal attacks. If you disagree, make an argument without that shit. Questioning the rationale of the coach does not mean anyone is fair-weather, it might mean they care about their national team being poorly represented.
Blind faith, call it what you will, can be a problem too.
Stick around, you'll see plenty of the locals aren't too thrilled with our coach either.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Beale has been far from his best so far, I wouldn't have him in the top 3 fullbacks in the world right now based on form alone. Reputation wise and potentially, yes, but he just lacks the confidence he had in 2010 and we are seeing him make stupid errors and chip kick rather than attack the line. He is however worth the risk of playing at 15 due to his unpredictability, if he shows up to play against the Boks they could be in real trouble..but it doesn't look likely.

I'd have Dagg above him, and Lambie above Dagg in rankings, could also include Paul Williams and Ben Foden into the equation if we are ranking them all.

In terms of a back-line comparison based on what NZ and AUS have left:
Weepu v Genia - Even on form, Genia on potential, experience and decision making.
Slade v Cooper - Cooper on form and experience, not to mention unpredictability/x-factor.
Kahui v Ioane - Even on form, Ioane on x-factor and value to the team.
Nonu v McCabe - Nonu on everything.
Smith v AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) - Smith on everything bar one-on-one defence. Runs better lines and looks the more complete of the two.
Jane v JOC (James O'Connor) - JOC (James O'Connor) on x-factor and kicking, Jane still offers alot.
Dagg v Beale - Dagg on form, Beale on potential and unpredictability.

3 v 2 to the Blackness, the better of the evens would probably decide a game if it was played tomorrow. Fortunately the two evens are more than likely to be won by Australia.

Light, which games are you basing Lambie's high rating on?

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
bad cyclopath.

It's not that we're an Aussie site. It's that we don't allow personal abuse, in order to avoid the kind of flame wars that fill up forums across the Internet.

P

potjiekos

You don't have to suck ass, you need to make points without personal attacks. If you disagree, make an argument without that shit. Questioning the rationale of the coach does not mean anyone is fair-weather, it might mean they care about their national team being poorly represented.
Blind faith, call it what you will, can be a problem too.
Stick around, you'll see plenty of the locals aren't too thrilled with our coach either.

Well said..... Point taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.