• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC 2011 - Quarter final 3 : Springbokke v. Wallabies CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Looking at the Boks line up there are some concerns there for the South Africans

BDP on the bench for at least 40 minutes is a good thing.

- It looks like PDV's hand has been forced into terms of a 4:3 split on the bench. The Boks have been playing 2 props on the bench until now, and I was actually quite worried that this would cause troubles for the Wallabies given that the weather is likely to see this game played unfront with a lot of scrums. No doubt the injury concerns to Hoggard, JPP and Habana have meant that he has no choice but the play an extra back. Dropping the Beast out of the squad helps aus in my view because he does have a history of making an impact at scrum time (Lions tour). The Boks' best front row would have BDP and Beast in it IMO so they lose a bit a scrum time.
- No bakkies is a blow. He is the type of player the Boks love. Not sure they lose too much with Russouw (who's in great form), but he'll probably be forced to play 80 minutes, which could play into the wallabies hands with an experienced Sharpe likely to be injected into the 2nd row in the final quarter.
- From all reports Habana and JPP are on the cusp of being scratched. Not good going in against the world's best backline. If they lose either one of those guys, they could be in trouble. Aplon and Ndungane will be exposed.

Obviously the weather still suits Boks rugby better, but im not to concerned about this line-up. if we turn up we can match them everywhere, and have a distinct advantage in the back 3.

But I'm a glass half full guy

Steenkamp is a way better scrummager than Beast. Beast on bench never make sense. Can't cover 3.

Bakkies gone is a blessing. Poor form and Danie Rossouw deserves to start.

Extra back because of the F Steyn injury. Need more options on bench. Butch on bench because of chance of rain if Morne goes down or struggles defensively.

Habana and Hougaard both declared 100% fit.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Steenkamp is a way better scrummager than Beast. Beast on bench never make sense. Can't cover 3.

Extra back because of the F Steyn injury. Need more options on bench. Butch on bench because of chance of rain if Morne goes down or struggles defensively.

Habana and Hougaard both declared 100% fit.

Fair enough but CJV I don't rate. He offers nothing around the field.

"Bakkies gone is a blessing"...Can't believe a South African would say such a thing. He played great in his last test against the all blacks. Whilst I wouldn't have started him, I would have much preferred him as a back up lock to Alberts.

You do lose some versatility without F Steyn, but technically with Lambie/Aplon/JDV you can cover all injuries. i still suspect that PDV needs insurance for Habana and JPP. Hell if JPP pulls out we might even see a change in the split of the bench.

whatty

Bob Loudon (25)

Thats the truth!!
Steenkamp looks strong and hungry and starting to regain match fitness, I see a big game from him this Sunday.

IF we have a issue with JPP I would be keen for them to keep the impact Hougaard has off the bench. So who to replace JPP?

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Fair enough but CJV I don't rate. He offers nothing around the field.

"Bakkies gone is a blessing"...Can't believe a South African would say such a thing. He played great in his last test against the all blacks. Whilst I wouldn't have started him, I would have much preferred him as a back up lock to Alberts.

You do lose some versatility without F Steyn, but technically with Lambie/Aplon/JDV you can cover all injuries. i still suspect that PDV needs insurance for Habana and JPP. Hell if JPP pulls out we might even see a change in the split of the bench.

Bakkies is not match fit and can't play more than 40 anyway. He would have been a liability in this game I reckon, Especially with a guy like Rossouw he has been our best forward.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Also makes sense to have a guy at 12 with an excellent tactical kicking game.

I would like to see some alteration between McCabe and JOC (James O'Connor) when we have the ball. That provides that second kicking option you rightly speak of. Most of our backs posses a decent kicking game anyway. Biggest thing of all for me is for the Wallabies to keep it simple. Ball in hand when we are running into the wind but use it smart, keep it tight and just patiently progress up the field. I am fully confident with our cattle whoever we pick but I want us to just get the tactics right.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Looking at the Boks line up there are some concerns there for the South Africans

BDP on the bench for at least 40 minutes is a good thing.

- It looks like PDV's hand has been forced into terms of a 4:3 split on the bench. The Boks have been playing 2 props on the bench until now, and I was actually quite worried that this would cause troubles for the Wallabies given that the weather is likely to see this game played unfront with a lot of scrums. No doubt the injury concerns to Hoggard, JPP and Habana have meant that he has no choice but the play an extra back. Dropping the Beast out of the squad helps aus in my view because he does have a history of making an impact at scrum time (Lions tour). The Boks' best front row would have BDP and Beast in it IMO so they lose a bit a scrum time.
- No bakkies is a blow. He is the type of player the Boks love. Not sure they lose too much with Russouw (who's in great form), but he'll probably be forced to play 80 minutes, which could play into the wallabies hands with an experienced Sharpe likely to be injected into the 2nd row in the final quarter.
- From all reports Habana and JPP are on the cusp of being scratched. Not good going in against the world's best backline. If they lose either one of those guys, they could be in trouble. Aplon and Ndungane will be exposed.

Obviously the weather still suits Boks rugby better, but im not to concerned about this line-up. if we turn up we can match them everywhere, and have a distinct advantage in the back 3.

But I'm a glass half full guy

Sorry but i still think we are some way behind the ABs on this front. Individually we are equal in a few positions with Genia the only garunteed a start. Our guys still have a lot to learn.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Our backline has an edge over the ABs in all but centres I think.

That said their wings and fb are looking sweet and their centre pairing is easily world's best. Like their attacking patterns also.

Overall on form edge to us imo but much would, could depend on form of respective 10s.

On a (very) good day we know our forwards can do the job on the ABs, so I'm not totally writing us off there. It's a cliché but very true vs ABs - if we play them forwards will decide the game.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I would like to see some alteration between McCabe and JOC (James O'Connor) when we have the ball. That provides that second kicking option you rightly speak of. Most of our backs posses a decent kicking game anyway. Biggest thing of all for me is for the Wallabies to keep it simple. Ball in hand when we are running into the wind but use it smart, keep it tight and just patiently progress up the field. I am fully confident with our cattle whoever we pick but I want us to just get the tactics right.

I think you've cracked it Ruggo!!!!!!

The real reason McCabe will start over Barnes is that he will be essentially playing on the wing (where he is used to playing) and JOC (James O'Connor) will slot in seamlessly at 12 in attack as the second playmaker outside Quade we all want Sookface to be. Remember Robbie saying we would be seeing JOC (James O'Connor) at 12 some stage this season (or whatever it was he said)?!?!?!

THE SECRET PLAN HAS FINALLY BEEN REVEALED!!!!

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Our backline has an edge over the ABs in all but centres I think.

That said their wings and fb are looking sweet and their centre pairing is easily world's best. Like their attacking patterns also.

Overall on form edge to us imo but much would, could depend on form of respective 10s.

On a (very) good day we know our forwards can do the job on the ABs, so I'm not totally writing us off there. It's a cliché but very true vs ABs - if we play them forwards will decide the game.
Aren't we playing the boks? Or does AB stand for All the Boks?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Fox Sports News also going with what Grumbles reported with McCabe/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) the centre pairing.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Going on Robbie's history and stubborness I think it's unlikely that we will see Barnes or Sharpe make the starting XV, we can only hope that the 5-2 split on the bench contains Hodgson rather than McCalman but I'd suggest that is unlikely too.

IMO both these coaches have gotten their sides wrong, PdV perhaps worse because everyone knows who should be starting hooker and yet he continues to play favourites. There isn't even an argument for having BDP come off the bench, at least with Barnes and the Wallabies, Dingo will have the excuse that he wanted to change the way we were playing and the gap between McCabe and Barnes is very small individual wise.

If either of these teams continues to make stupid selections I doubt either will make the finals, it is not possible to beat NZ with a team that is at below 100% capacity, players know who should be on the field and to see a guy there who doesn't deserve his position can act as a real negative when the going gets tough (i.e fingers get pointed). I may be an armchair critic but I can say with confidence there is always a time to swallow your pride and stop being so stubborn.

Robbie, it's time you stop fucking around with my beloved Wallabies. I have been waiting four years for this tournament and to have it sabotaged by an arrogant, stubborn kiwi who doesn't know when to stop playing favourites annoys the shit out of me. There is very little McCalman offers off the bench, or at all for that matter, you brought over Hodgson who would be itching to get a go and just might offer impact off the bench, not to mention versatility. Similarly, Sharpe has been one of the best locks in the country, to continue with the ill-disclipline Vickerman against a team that can kick goals from 50m+ is just stupid. Sure, I can see that Vickerman offers physicality and can set the tone for the game but he is a liability, something we have enough players being already. Finally, the battle of Sookface v McCabe, I honestly don't care who you pick just as your selection is justified, we can't afford to carry injured players, if McCabe is at 100% then lets go with him and hope he can survive the physicality of the match, if he can't and is replaced after any less than 30mins I will be reaching for my pitchfork.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I don't have an issue with McCalman on the bench over Hodgson. He did the job for us vs the ABs in Brisbane quite effectively and can cover 6 & 8 better than Hodgson.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Fox Sports News also going with what Grumbles reported with McCabe/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) the centre pairing.

FSN also contradicting themselves...

In their breaker they state that Barnes is closer to a start, but in the report say that McCabe is set to start...

Personally, I don't care who starts as long as we win, and do it in a manner that's respectable.

The last thing I want to see if we lose is fans saying rubbish like "We lost this game because Robbie didn't select..."

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Sorry but i still think we are some way behind the ABs on this front. Individually we are equal in a few positions with Genia the only garunteed a start. Our guys still have a lot to learn.

Beale is the form fullback in world rugby. Ioane the best winger. O'Connor and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) are two of the best utility backs. With carter on the side line, and Genia at 9 I would rate our backline and the best in world rugby. Unfortunately they are not getting the front foot ball that many teams are at this tournament.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Beale Dagg is the form fullback in world rugby. Ioane the best winger. O'Connor and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) are two of the best utility backs. With carter on the side line, and Genia at 9 I would rate our backline and the best in world rugby. Unfortunately they are not getting the front foot ball that many teams are at this tournament.

FANATIC

Fred Wood (13)
Happy 80th Birthday Desmond Tutu. I am very sorry that the government of the country that you fought long and hard to free from apartheid has not helped your friend, the Dali Lama, get a visa to come to your birthday celebrations. Because of this effrontery, Australia on Sunday will knock RSA out of the quater finals of the rugby world cup so that they can all fly home just in time for your birthday. You need not thank us, it is the least us aussies can do. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.