• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC 2011 - Quarter final 3 : Springbokke v. Wallabies CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Opportunity squandered.

Bismarck and Alberts should have started and it will be our undoing.

All the noises from PdV before the Cup were that Bismarck would start the knockout games. I guess the PDiv / J Smit pact is even stronger than we thought.

Wobs by ten for the simple reason that we will not get the forward ascendancy we would have had those to started.

Fuck this is going to be one of the longest weeks ever. How absolutely disappointing.

Toddy

Chris McKivat (8)
I dunno Blue. The way the Boks play is perfect for knockout rugby where defence tightens up and attacking teams are a bit more nervous about offloading that final 50/50 pass.

This game is even harder to pick as who knows what Wallaby team will turn up. Bled 1 not interested team or the bled 2 team that played like men possessed.

The match up between Pocock and the Diver will be awesome. The Diver may have the edge as Burger has been in pretty good form though that can kind of be negated with Spies waiting out on the wing.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think we will struggle to get out of our half in the wind and rain unless we are pragmatic enough to play some field. position.

I am also concerned with our work under the high ball.

As we play All Black "lite", we will kick and chase down the middle, the Boks will then send any ball high from any ball that is badly placed - but can we catch the pill?

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I dunno Blue. The way the Boks play is perfect for knockout rugby where defence tightens up and attacking teams are a bit more nervous about offloading that final 50/50 pass.

This game is even harder to pick as who knows what Wallaby team will turn up. Bled 1 not interested team or the bled 2 team that played like men possessed.

The match up between Pocock and the Diver will be awesome. The Diver may have the edge as Burger has been in pretty good form though that can kind of be negated with Spies waiting out on the wing.

Rubbish.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
According to the SMH article today, they are predicting that the Wallaby selectors will revert back to McCabe and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in the centres. Whilst it worked in Durban and Sydney, surely they realise that this gameplan has completely broken down each time it has rained.

I just don't get it.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Deans likely to go with winning Boks' formula for quarter-final Greg Growden
October 6, 2011

WELLINGTON: Wallabies selectors are seriously considering reverting to the same back-line contingent that defeated the Springboks in Sydney and Durban for Sunday night's World Cup quarter-final at the Wellington Regional Stadium.

As Kurtley Beale and Digby Ioane are again available for selection, the most likely back line revolves around Pat McCabe and Adam Ashley-Cooper as the centres pairing, James O'Connor and Ioane on the wings, and Beale at fullback. With Will Genia and Quade Cooper remaining the Wallabies' halves pairing, this would have the selectors showing complete faith in the attack that overwhelmed the Springboks 39-20 in Sydney in June and 14-9 in Durban the following month.

While there has been a strong push for Berrick Barnes to remain at No.12 after an assured performance against Russia in Nelson last Saturday, the Waratahs midfielder is more likely to be a reserve, with Anthony Fainga'a, who played well off the bench in Durban, again in line to be one of the back-line back-ups. McCabe must prove his fitness this week, but team officials are extremely confident that he has overcome his damaged shoulder which he injured against the United States.

The biggest selection quandary in the forwards is the second row and whether Dan Vickerman, Nathan Sharpe or Rob Simmons will be skipper James Horwill's partner. It would not surprise if the selectors opted for Vickerman due to his physicality and tenacity. The Wallabies line-up will be announced tomorrow.

The Wallabies have been waiting for the return of Ioane from his fractured thumb, with both Cooper and Beale yesterday explaining that he provides an extra dimension to the Australian attack.

''Having a guy like Digby coming back is great, because he has exceptional talents,'' Cooper said. ''He's fast and defensively strong. You know you can rely on someone like that, because mentally he is very tough. This will be very much a physical game, and a mental battle as well. So we will have to be at our best, and to have a guy like Digby is going to be a massive boost for us.''

Beale added that he and Ioane ''were just similar players''. ''He likes taking those inside balls off Quade, and so do I. The best thing about Digby is his work rate. He is all over the park. We also read each other very well, while we understand how Quade and Will play,'' Beale said.

Beale added that against South Africa, the Wallabies weren't likely to play extravagant football. ''What you have to do at the World Cup is be patient. Sometimes we have tried too hard to make the big play happen. But we know now that a lot of teams are either plugging the corners, or putting the bomb up and chasing through, because the World Cup is totally different to the Super 15 [Rugby]. That's how it is,'' he said.

''We just have to be patient with the ball, and wait for the opposition to make a mistake. Once we get that opportunity in the opposition half, we just have to hold on to the ball and either go for the try or even a field goal if it is required. We have a lot of belief in our forward pack, are happy to sit behind them all day, and if the opportunity only comes in the 79th minute, we will take it then.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...uarterfinal-20111005-1l9of.html#ixzz1ZwvTAj44

F

Falco

The Aussie media seem convinced McCabe will take the 12 spot. Their reasoning is that Deans will opt for a 'hard running' approach in tough conditions. I am at a loss. Barnes involvement has shown what a class act he is. Brings maturity & a range of options in attack that have been well documented elsewhere. If the strategy is for a tactical kicking game who better than Barnes. A Bash n Barge game against the Springboks is just asking for trouble.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
According to the SMH article today, they are predicting that the Wallaby selectors will revert back to McCabe and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in the centres. Whilst it worked in Durban and Sydney, surely they realise that this gameplan has completely broken down each time it has rained.

I just don't get it.

With the chance of wet you need to keep it close which means setting it up through ball carriers so McCabe makes sense to me.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
It may work out well for the Boks if Bismark is used early in the second half. He is likely to make the biggest impact out of any bench player of either team.

Of course if Smit is moved to prop to accomodate that, it will be a very good thing for the wallabies.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
So presuming we have a 5-2 split and Grumbles is right, our back replacements in Sookface and Ant cover 10/12 and 12/13. Surely this is wrong???

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Looks like JPP might well be a scratching, based on these quotes
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/lawrence-holds-the-key-to-showdown-argues-prop-20111005-1l9or.html

SMH said:
Meanwhile, Springboks winger J.P. Pietersen will undergo a fitness test this morning to determine if he will take his place in the side to face the Wallabies. The 184 centimetre winger has a leg injury that has so far prevented him from training this week, and he has only rated himself at 80 per cent fitness.

''My injury is improving,'' he said yesterday. ''It's a tendon just behind my knee, with the hamstring and all the tendons there. It's just a big bruise and there's a nerve running through it that, I think, caused most of the pain.

''I feel confident. I'd feel more confident if I had a good running session behind me.

''I'm doing my fitness test [today], and if I feel comfortable I'll tell the coach, and if I don't I'll probably have to pull out.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...argues-prop-20111005-1l9or.html#ixzz1ZxBx4Jxw

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Also makes sense to have a guy at 12 with an excellent tactical kicking game.

In the wet I will take the crash baller especially if I have plenty of kicking in the rest of the backline. No brainer to have Beale, Cooper and JOC (James O'Connor) popping up as first and second receiver to kick and Genia will kick a lot if it's wet.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Looking at the Boks line up there are some concerns there for the South Africans

BDP on the bench for at least 40 minutes is a good thing.

- It looks like PDV's hand has been forced into terms of a 4:3 split on the bench. The Boks have been playing 2 props on the bench until now, and I was actually quite worried that this would cause troubles for the Wallabies given that the weather is likely to see this game played unfront with a lot of scrums. No doubt the injury concerns to Hoggard, JPP and Habana have meant that he has no choice but the play an extra back. Dropping the Beast out of the squad helps aus in my view because he does have a history of making an impact at scrum time (Lions tour). The Boks' best front row would have BDP and Beast in it IMO so they lose a bit a scrum time.
- No bakkies is a blow. He is the type of player the Boks love. Not sure they lose too much with Russouw (who's in great form), but he'll probably be forced to play 80 minutes, which could play into the wallabies hands with an experienced Sharpe likely to be injected into the 2nd row in the final quarter.
- From all reports Habana and JPP are on the cusp of being scratched. Not good going in against the world's best backline. If they lose either one of those guys, they could be in trouble. Aplon and Ndungane will be exposed.

Obviously the weather still suits Boks rugby better, but im not to concerned about this line-up. if we turn up we can match them everywhere, and have a distinct advantage in the back 3.

But I'm a glass half full guy

Status
Not open for further replies.