• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC 2011 - Quarter final 3 : Springbokke v. Wallabies CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
If it is a close game, between evenly matched teams, like it or not the referee can affect the result.

Ireland deserved to win against Australia, as they played a game that exploited the way Lawrence referees. Slow the ball down, keep the ball in the scrum as long as possible, and go down injured at most stoppages. These are highly effective tactics against Aus, who struggle with a slower paced game. I doubt however that Ireland would have been able to play the same game plan with a referee like Barnes, who cleans up the ruck and generally allows the game to keep moving.

What is starting to annoy me a little is the comment often made along the lines of 'we need to adjust to the referee's style/interpretations'. Refs aren't there to have style or interpretations. All top line referees should be applying the rules as consistently as possible across the board. Two things would help this:

1. Referees all getting together with the IRB management in a training camp type situation. Paddy sending a memo to refs is akin to a coach sending a game plan via email to players and expecting it to be followed. They need to have more consistency in application of the laws.

2. Simplification of the laws, and less penalties for things that could have gone each way.

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
BdP is arguably the best hooker in world rugby at the moment. PERIOD!!!! And while I concurr, to some extent, with the sentiments expressed relating to his exclusion from the starting XV, I have to concede that in the GREATER SCHEME OF THINGS and especially when facing the wobblies in a WC QF, John Smit's selection over BdP is most opportune in several respects.

It is evident that Smit's initial inclusion is integral to the execution of a set game plan. He commands the respect of all the bok players, including several senior players both on ....(getting guys like Victor Matfield and Scalk Burger to scramble and put their bodies on the line for 80 mins is no easy feat).... and off the field.

Beyond this, he is tactically astute and is 'au fait' whith the rules / laws of the game........ if he's not barking commands in a huddle, then he's chirping at the ref about some or other transgression in order to gain some ascendancy.

While he's no BdP, he's not half bad as a hooker and front row forward. What he lacks in pace, he more than makes up in grunt and tenacity...... the evidence of this is glaringly obvious for all to see during many a post match interview, where he'd be sporting a brand new battlescar....blodied all over with either a swollen eye or a stiched up forehead.

BdP will get his opportunity to make an impact, but for now IMHO, it is imperative that John Smit starts the game.

Come on - you can't tell me the players don't respect Matfield? He's the BB captain and has captained SA on more than one occasion. Why wouldn't they do for Matfield what they would do for Smit?

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'm guessing you didn't watch any of the aus vs SA trinations games? Aus got a lot more than parity in those games.

We actually demolished their scrum in Durban, under Bryce. Some penalties in the Ireland game could have gone both ways, but I dont believe it's Bryce's fault, I believe that it is Aus Rugby's fault for not having a relative sufficient backup to Benn Robinson.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Scrum talk, post after post about changing the scrum rules again to depower it.

If that's what you gleaned from that thread, I think you missed the point by some margin. The general thrust of it was about reducing the number of resets and penalties from scrums, many of which centre on the hit. Watching footage from all the 1991 QF, SF and final matches, it struck me how few penalties arose from the scrum. No power hit. Good scrums still dominated, poor ones still did not. If the timing of unleashing 900 kg at another 900 kg is the be all and end all of strong scrummaging, it's a shame. It's also too much of a crap shoot in terms of the cadence of different refs and props being able to get a proper bind in that instant as they all collide, or taking it to ground if they lose the hit.
Anyway, you seem to have made up your mind, so I'm probably wasting my time.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
We actually demolished their scrum in Durban, under Bryce. Some penalties in the Ireland game could have gone both ways, but I dont believe it's Bryce's fault, I believe that it is Aus Rugby's fault for not having a relative sufficient backup to Benn Robinson.

I don't know if you can really blame Aus Rugby for that.

As lots of countries are finding out this RWC, it is nigh on impossible to have a decent replacement for players that are close to the best in the world in their position.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Braveheart, the neglect of scrummaging is a part of that, but the lack of talent is what it is.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I agree to an extent, but if you look at the key players in all the teams, there is generally a massive drop off to the next best player.

The ABs rightfully have noone anywhere near as good as Carter or McCaw, Wallabies have noone close to Pocock, Robinson or Genia.

If Wales lost Warburton they would be in strife etc etc.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
15. Kurtley Beale (NSW Waratahs)
14. James O’Connor (Western Force)
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper (Brumbies)
12. Pat McCabe (Brumbies)
11. Digby Ioane (Queensland Reds)
10. Quade Cooper (Queensland Reds)
9. Will Genia (Queensland Reds)
8. Radike Samo (Queensland Reds)
7. David Pocock (Western Force)
6. Rocky Elsom (Brumbies)
5. James Horwill (Queensland Reds, captain)
4. Dan Vickerman (NSW Waratahs)
3. Ben Alexander (Brumbies)
2. Stephen Moore (Brumbies)
1. Sekope Kepu (NSW Waratahs)

Run on Reserves:
16. Tatafu Polota Nau (NSW Waratahs)
17. James Slipper (Queensland Reds)
18. Nathan Sharpe (Western Force)
19. Ben McCalman (Western Force)
20. Luke Burgess (NSW Waratahs)
21. Berrick Barnes (NSW Waratahs)
22. Anthony Fainga’a (Queensland Reds)

Boo to no Berrick Barnes in the starting team.

Interesting that we've now gone to a 4-3 split.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)

Greg Holmes was probably the best replacement for Fatcat though wasn't selectet when needed. This has nothing to do with Reds bias for the record, just that LHP with test experience are a rare commodity in Australia. Both are similar players also in workreate around the park also.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
If we lose this game on a sub standard performance by McCabe and too much pressure on QC (Quade Cooper) as the only play maker then Deans has to resign. His selection this world cup are mind boggling!

How on earth can you leave our best tactical kicker on the bench in the wet?

What a fucking pelican

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
Boo to no Berrick Barnes in the starting team.

Interesting that we've now gone to a 4-3 split.

Stopping and thinking for a bit, I don't hate the idea of McCabe to start and Barnes to finish. Let Pat do the heavy lifting of boshing it up early and bring on Barnes to control things in the later stages.

4-3 is interesting. They must be betting on Ant. Fainga'a bringing some big hits later on, as they're not really covering the outside backs that well.

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
If we lose this game on a sub standard performance by McCabe and too much pressure on QC (Quade Cooper) as the only play maker then Deans has to resign. His selection this world cup are mind boggling!

How on earth can you leave our best tactical kicker on the bench in the wet?

What a fucking pelican

I can understand why people want more tactical kickers but we do have QC (Quade Cooper); JOC (James O'Connor) & KB (Kurtley Beale) who can all kick, in the back row. I definitely think McCabe over Barnes in the Centres as he adds more smash power than BB and we'll need that in the start. Bring BB on later in the game when the Saffas have tired and you don't need as much physicality.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Has the centre combination of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and McCabe been tried before, perhaps at Brumbies?

If so, how did that go?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The 4-3 split seems a bit strange to me.

It effectively means that Elsom and Pocock have to play 80 minutes as Samo surely can't.

Good to see Sharpe elevated to the bench over Simmons.

It will be interesting to see if Deans uses his bench a bit better this game. We definitely need to muscle up with the Springboks in the first half an hour or so otherwise they will gain a lot of confidence. If Barnes is brought on at the right time, it could really help us play field position in the back end of the game. Hopefully our bench is actually used this game.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
McCabe doesn't bring anything to our team. He and McCalman should not be here, let alone taking up valuable spots for such a crucial game. But I guess if we lose Robbie will have given McCabe some further education.

For fucks sake RD! This is the world cup, not a library!

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
I can understand why people want more tactical kickers but we do have QC (Quade Cooper); JOC (James O'Connor) & KB (Kurtley Beale) who can all kick, in the back row. I definitely think McCabe over Barnes in the Centres as he adds more smash power than BB and we'll need that in the start. Bring BB on later in the game when the Saffas have tired and you don't need as much physicality.

There's two issues I have with McCabe starting of Barnes and its nothing to do with a kicking game.

1) Barne's experience - With such a green backline and team and a playmaker who doesn't adapt well to forwards going backwards, we need someone to guide them in the game.

2) Two working shoulders - Knowing how fragile McCabes shoulder is, what happens when he goes to tackle/pull of a dominant tackle and it pops out again? He'll have to come off and we're down a player for the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.