• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC 2011 - Pool D - Fiji, Namibia, Wales, South Africa, Samoa

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Pietersen should also have been carded towards the end there for slapping down the ball out of the Samoan's player hand while he was on the ground and offside when Samoa were attacking their line...

Owens ruled it a knock on... bah...

Wouldn't mind seeing a replay of that.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The yellow card was warranted for Smit.

He wasn't going to catch that, and Samoa had an overlap so he slapped it away.

Fair enough.

Toddy

Chris McKivat (8)
They just replayed it on Fox Sports.

Samoa has picked it up from the ruck, and Pietersen is lying on the ground on Samoa's side and he reaches over and slaps the ball down.

Samoa probably would've scored off that play too.

Not only that but Owens went on to tell P.Williams that it was fine and Peterson was onside. Shocking call.

I think that's the first time I've seen a Bok take a dive like a soccer player. Real shame as they're the last team I'd expect it from.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
@matty-k..... bias aside, have to concede that Smit is no Habana or de Villiers, but there was a definite attempt an intercept, clearly not a deliberate knock-down. It is obvious that Owens was caught up in the moment trying to balance out the red card. Go figure....

@chief....not my intention to entertain you on this thread, (you could pick your nose for some meaningful contributions!!), besides the palpable fear of a resurgent bok team (bar the obvious injuries) , as well as the obvious bias towards them here on mustard and olive-green.com, should serve as ample entertainment don't you think? Lol....

.....um....you do realise you're on an Australian Rugby site....dont you?

They just replayed it on Fox Sports.

Samoa has picked it up from the ruck, and Pietersen is lying on the ground on Samoa's side and he reaches over and slaps the ball down.

Samoa probably would've scored off that play too.

Yep, saw that. Bloody hell that doesnt make me feel any better seeing that.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
What really annoys me about Owens performance is that he screwed the Samoans 3 times when they were on attack inside the Bok 22m...

For a game that was only decided by 8 points it's frustrating to see...

Granted, Samoa screwed themselves over with some forced passes, and bad handling at times... but with a better ref we could've seen a much better finish to that match.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
What really annoys me about Owens performance is that he screwed the Samoans 3 times when they were on attack inside the Bok 22m...

For a game that was only decided by 8 points it's frustrating to see...

After supporting the Island nations at RWC's for this long....I think I'm used to it :(

Toddy

Chris McKivat (8)
I don't believe Smit deserved his yellow. Penalty I can understand as there was no way he was going to make that intercept. Makes you wonder if he knew he'd made the wrong call in red carding Williams. (though I realise he had no choice after what the ass ref told him)

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
After the Samoan twitter posts about lack of time between games & the mouthguard incident I'd imagine they'd blow up deluxe about Owens, I wouldn't blame them.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Great game. For those arguing against the Williams red card, although I didn't like it, the rules say striking is a red card offence. not striking with a closed hand.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Great game. For those arguing against the Williams red card, although I didn't like it, the rules say striking is a red card offence. not striking with a closed hand.

While I don't disagree.....was Williams the only one striking?

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Samoa shot themselves in the foot several times but as mentioned in a previous post the fav's always get the rub of the green. Once again another example of the minnows getting fucked over. Maybe at the next WC they could play every 2nd day. On their off days they get to train on a netball court.
Is striking now defined as pushing someone i the chin.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Question:

Does it specify about where a player is struck?

Technically, Brussouw was throwing punches too.

While I wouldn't want to see that penalised, I'm just curious about the exact wording of the rule.

Williams was baited by Brussouw's punches, but he shouldn't have retaliated.

Status
Not open for further replies.