• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Round 7 - Drua v Waratahs - CBUS Stadium Gold Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I was disappointed more did not turn out for this game as crowd was dismal. As tahs been playing good rugby and Drua too although they seem to have stalled in recent weeks on improving further.

molman

Jim Lenehan (48)
I've spoke about this before but Edmed could be a 12.
Agree and have said the same. He looks to have the attributes to evolve into a good future ball playing 12.

Agree on much of this. Horton in particular - had expected more by now.
Likewise agree on Horton. He was a real good story in 2020 but has definitely plateaued. We never really got to see what Joe Cotton would evolve into. Mahe has had some nice touches around the park, but he still looks to be transitioning to Super Rugby level. He might overtake Horton in the longrun though.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Agree and have said the same. He looks to have the attributes to evolve into a good future ball playing 12.

Likewise agree on Horton. He was a real good story in 2020 but has definitely plateaued. We never really got to see what Joe Cotton would evolve into. Mahe has had some nice touches around the park, but he still looks to be transitioning to Super Rugby level. He might overtake Horton in the longrun though.
Yes edmed looks good bench option covering 10 and 12. Maybe let’s not talk about edmed as a 12 too much as with Simone leaving the brumbies at the end of the year and edmed off contract edmed could be a target for them.

I think for hookers we are fine as porecki is in good form and Horton and mahe suitable backups. I agree though that after his breakout year in 2020 Hortons star is a little tarnished.

Bigger issue is logjam of talent in the back row with hooper, gamble, Harris, voyasayco, swinton, Sinclair how do you for them all in. All of these players been playing well and quality, I would also add tizzano not bad but he is well down the pecking order of opportunities given hooper now back.

molman

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yes edmed looks good bench option covering 10 and 12. Maybe let’s not talk about edmed as a 12 too much as with Simone leaving the brumbies at the end of the year and edmed off contract edmed could be a target for them.

I think for hookers we are fine as porecki is in good form and Horton and mahe suitable backups. I agree though that after his breakout year in 2020 Hortons star is a little tarnished.

Bigger issue is logjam of talent in the back row with hooper, gamble, Harris, voyasayco, swinton, Sinclair how do you for them all in. All of these players been playing well and quality, I would also add tizzano not bad but he is well down the pecking order of opportunities given hooper now back.
Where's Simone off to? That's a shame for them. It'd be sad to loose him (Edmed) from the Waratah's, but for the Wallabies and the players themselves I'd always support whatever is going to help their development.

The backups are ok. Horton can't go blowing his throws though. We wont have continuous opportunities against the NZ teams, so you need to convert - get your fundamentals right.

It wouldn't surprise me if Tizzano moves on at the end of the season. He's really stalled somewhat. I guess how many you carry depends on what Hooper is planning to do. He's (Hooper) likely around for next season, but beyond? I've actually been impressed with Sinclair. There is a Rob Simmons vibe about him (and I mean that positively). I'm not sure he will ever reach the hieghts of the sport, but he continues to make small improvements, has a real team player/clubman mentality. You need some players like him toiling away, adding to the culture.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Where's Simone off to? That's a shame for them. It'd be sad to loose him (Edmed) from the Waratah's, but for the Wallabies and the players themselves I'd always support whatever is going to help their development.

The backups are ok. Horton can't go blowing his throws though. We wont have continuous opportunities against the NZ teams, so you need to convert - get your fundamentals right.

It wouldn't surprise me if Tizzano moves on at the end of the season. He's really stalled somewhat. I guess how many you carry depends on what Hooper is planning to do. He's (Hooper) likely around for next season, but beyond? I've actually been impressed with Sinclair. There is a Rob Simmons vibe about him (and I mean that positively). I'm not sure he will ever reach the hieghts of the sport, but he continues to make small improvements, has a real team player/clubman mentality. You need some players like him toiling away, adding to the culture.
Simone off to Clermont. Yeah tizzano for his development would be better moving on…going back to wa logical option as backup behind koteka. Yep Sinclair been solid and continued to improve over past few seasons and yes been impressed with his progress and contribution over the last two seasons. Solid super rugby player turning out to be with Sinclair - sure not going to ever be in wallaby contention but the sort of nucleus of good solid super rugby players you need in your squad who week in week out deliver.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think the score didn't really reflect how much the Drua were in the game, they had a few scoring opportunities but couldn't convert

Alex Ross (28)
Tizzano isn’t a complete player. Even at his best the most he did was tackle a lot.
I recall an interview with him where he said his goal was to top the tackle count every game. I think that’s fine in juniors to keep goals simple. But by the time you are playing Super Rugby I think you should have more areas of the game covered.

molman

Jim Lenehan (48)
Simone off to Clermont. Yeah tizzano for his development would be better moving on…going back to wa logical option as backup behind koteka. Yep Sinclair been solid and continued to improve over past few seasons and yes been impressed with his progress and contribution over the last two seasons. Solid super rugby player turning out to be with Sinclair - sure not going to ever be in wallaby contention but the sort of nucleus of good solid super rugby players you need in your squad who week in week out deliver.
I guess it makes sense for Simone. He hasn't been able to crack the Wallabies so he's not part of the plan for next year. He might be a chance for 2027, but he'll be ~30...31.. by then. It's a real shame though. NZ are better at holding onto their players just outside the All Blacks. It's were AU looses it's depth. I'd prefer to see some arrangement with a Japan club. Let them go make some coin, experience a different culture, keep his body in check and then have him bounce back to keep the continuity of experience in and around the club.

Ultimately what Coleman needs to work out is how to keep evolving the core of this team and how to tweak those elements that need to shift a little more quickly. Players like Harris will only keep getting better and I'm not sure we've seen the best of Swinton yet either. You'd be a fool to let Gamble leave atm with the energy and positivity he is radiating. Warren-Vosayaco is a bit of an unknown as to how he will fit in, contribute to the long-term success. I like his points of difference so I'm keen to see more of him. I really liked aspects of how the Sunwolves played and how he worked within that system so it'll be interesting to see how he gels with the Waratah boys. He's made clear his aspirations for International honours so he will have to turn in some solid performances to make a play as a bit of a bolter.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Continuing to lose some of these guys is inevitable - especially as some of their international ambitions get quashed. You simply can’t fit all of them into starting teams at super level, let along test level. Hopefully some will choose to move to other Super rugby teams, but some will choose OS. What is imperative is we get our pathways in order so, as these guys leave, there is a next level of young guy ready to step in complemented with the odd prodigal son returning from OS. Hopefully in coming years all of the Super teams will have more mature programs where young talent is being drip fed into the system progressively around experienced Super players, rather than the large scale clean outs that the Reds & Waratahs implemented and that the Rebels & Force have been required to endure.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
On a seperate note - I really like some of the attacking structures the Tahs use. They still have a way to go, but they are chalk & cheese from the team they were 12 months ago.

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Photos from last night

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Edmed went well. He doesn’t break the line like Donaldson does but he’s good at creating space for the men outside him. The Stan commentators were so excited about Hooper scoring that they overlooked the quality of Edmed’s work to create the try: hitting the ball at pace, straightening the attack, committing the defence, offloading.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Edmed went well. He doesn’t break the line like Donaldson does but he’s good at creating space for the men outside him. The Stan commentators were so excited about Hooper scoring that they overlooked the quality of Edmed’s work to create the try: hitting the ball at pace, straightening the attack, committing the defence, offloading.
I think Edmed does a better job of getting the backline functioning than Donaldson

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I would keep all 3. Donaldson 10, Harrison 15, Edmed bench/backup
Well you can't, maybe all 3 can be in the 23 if one is playing fullback but I'd guess the one riding the bench would fancy their chances of starting at another club and you probably can't pay them all what they're worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.