• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Round 1 2017 Crusaders v Brumbies

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Drop goal time, guys. If it misses, no drama, just make sure it goes dead. Or just run the clock down. Whatever. First first-up win since 2012, I believe. Well played Brums, you're gunna do some damage this year, I think.

Reactions: mst

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Crusaders by 100

9b5.jpg

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
Considering how poorly the Brumbies played for long stretches of that match it's impressive that they were in it right until the end. The Crusaders looked pretty good and the Brumbies somehow kept up. The match could easily have resulted the other way.

I think Brumbies fans can be pretty happy with that overall, given their easier draw than the Tahs and Reds (in terms of key games played at home) they're definitely not ruled out of topping the conference.

dru

David Wilson (68)
To be fair I hadnt thought the Brumbies would be this good after list issues and personnel changes. They are going to be stronger than I had expected.

Powel was best Brumby for me. Then Fardy. Speight and Kuridrani for honourable mentions.

One glaring embarrassment, the Cru getting a scrum push-over try. I HATE seeing that in Australian teams.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Crusaders 17-13 Brumbies - try Arnold, conv & 2 x PG Hawera. Your lad Sam played really well, I thought, as did Arnold, Fardy & Alcock in the forwards & Kuridrani & Powell in the backs. Again, I think you guys are gunna hurt some Strayan & Sethfricken sides, not so sure about the kiwis.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Crusaders 17-13 Brumbies - try Arnold, conv & 2 x PG Hawera. Your lad Sam played really well, I thought, as did Arnold, Fardy & Alcock in the forwards & Kuridrani & Powell in the backs. Again, I think you guys are gunna hurt some Strayan & Sethfricken sides, not so sure about the kiwis.

Thank you waiopehu oldboy. Also for the input re Sam and his team mates. I agree with your final comment, as it appears that for 2017, your teams are on "another level"!!

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Big game from the Brumbies in a place they haven't won since 2000. They exceeded my expectations that's for sure, and it was good example of a first up game.

Scott Fardy always plays hard on the ball and will give away a penalty or two but the times he did steal the ball were very crucial. In fact, their defence on the whole was pretty good considering they had a weight of possession against them.

It was good to see Arnold, Speight and Kuridrani take the lead at times and get involved.

I know World Rugby have changed the rules around contesting the ball, so Dargaville had to get binned but it was Dagg that jumped over him when Dargaville had his eyes on the ball and even the NZ commentators thought it was harsh so that's all you need to know.

Obviously, still a few things to work on but a pretty good outing considering how new most of the combinations are.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That's the best score they've put up against the Saders in a while.........

Looking forward to catching a replay.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
^^^^^^ they put up a graphic at one point saying CruSadists had won the last six matches & scored 40+ in each of them, both of which I found a little surprising.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Big game from the Brumbies in a place they haven't won since 2000. They exceeded my expectations that's for sure, and it was good example of a first up game.

Scott Fardy always plays hard on the ball and will give away a penalty or two but the times he did steal the ball were very crucial. In fact, their defence on the whole was pretty good considering they had a weight of possession against them.

And one penalty against him probably should have been the other way. Fardy took possession in the tackle and went to ground. Crusader tackler never released him, and Fardy pinged for not releasing the ball. Very next phase crusaders knocked the ball forward near the try line and another in an off side position played at it. Jackson put down a scrum when it should have been a clear penalty to the Brumbies. Brumbies did then get a penalty from the ensuing scrum, but wtf, the referees have been less than ordinary in all of this weekend's games.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Watching the replay - First half Brumbies observations.......

Kuridrani is starting off the year in good form.

Powell playing well.

Alcock's ball handling is atrocious.

Toua is still not up to this level.

Status
Not open for further replies.