• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Round 1 2017 Crusaders v Brumbies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Balls....... will they persist with AA at tighthead?

We'd be much better suited to have AA start at LH with either Makin or Alexander at TH.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Balls... will they persist with AA at tighthead?

We'd be much better suited to have AA start at LH with either Makin or Alexander at TH.

Alternatively, Benny A could play LH.

My guess is that Nic Mayhew will start at LH and AA at TH. Bench LH will be interesting - maybe Sione or Alexander with Makin on the bench to cover TH.

Expect to see Roos on the bench straight away.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Alexander wouldn't go back to LH..........

BJ has hinted at 1. AA 3. Alexander, which would be the best outcome.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Maybe Tamanivalu at 13 and Ioane (Digby) at 11? Dagg very likely to be 15.

Yep Hawko, probably more likely, I was just maybe suggesting team I would like to see instead of what Razor will pick, and I got a real soft spot for young Goodhue, and do think Tamanivalu will be looked at on wing sometime this season. As you say probably not first game though.

Looks like Dan's right about Seta playing wing but maybe wrong about not first game:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...alu-set-to-start-season-on-wing-for-crusaders

I'd rather they started Seta at 13 then moved him to 11 with say 25 left to give Goodhue a run but if they think the kid is up to starting then, yeah, give him a crack I s'pose.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Looks like Dan's right about Seta playing wing but maybe wrong about not first game:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...alu-set-to-start-season-on-wing-for-crusaders

I'd rather they started Seta at 13 then moved him to 11 with say 25 left to give Goodhue a run but if they think the kid is up to starting then, yeah, give him a crack I s'pose.

I actually wondering where and when young Goodhue will fit in the ABs WOB, I actually think he good enough to play test rugby in a couple of years, he really impressed me with what I have seen, real mature head on his shoulders. Actually his twin brother at lock for the Blues is a good bot too!

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
My tip for the Brumbies side:

Ala'alatoa, Fainga'a, Alexander, Carter, Arnold, Fardy, Alcock, Fakosolea (Bernie will probably go with Butler), Powell, Hawera, Dargaville, Godwin, Kuridrani, Speight, Toua.

Reserves - Mann-Rea, Mayhew, Makin, Staniforth, Cusack, Roos, Jooste, Banks.

Referee: Glen Jackson
Assistant Ref 1:Brendon Pickerill
Assistant Ref 2:Angus Mabey
TMO : Glen Newman

Looks to be the only inter-conference game without an independent referee.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
True BJ. I think Nigel will be hard pressed to consistently make the 23 this year. Would be a good get for the 7s if not needed at the Brumbies. Smiler will always be in the mix, but he will be in direct competition with Cusack and Hyne for a bench spot. Again, he would also be a good pick up for 7s if he misses out with the Brumbies next year.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
True BJ. I think Nigel will be hard pressed to consistently make the 23 this year. Would be a good get for the 7s if not needed at the Brumbies. Smiler will always be in the mix, but he will be in direct competition with Cusack and Hyne for a bench spot. Again, he would also be a good pick up for 7s if he misses out with the Brumbies next year.

As a neutral, I completely disagree. In fact, I've even pegged down NAW as a genuine Wallaby bolter

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
^^^^^^^ I sincerely hope you are proven correct RY, but personally, I can't see it. At best this year I think he might be vying with Andrew Smith for a spot if there are injuries.

On another note (and it's very early in the piece I know), but the Brumbies could well be losing all three of their present hookers next year, given form and age etc. Siliva might be an option to return to partner with McInerney who is an up-and-coming local hooker.

Reactions: mst

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
As a neutral, I completely disagree. In fact, I've even pegged down NAW as a genuine Wallaby bolter

Even at club level (Vikings) his size v general contact and defensive abilities has always seemed deficient. He has shown promise and I still hope he can actually show it consistently but it has not come yet.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Today was the sixth anniversary of "the Big One" that killed 185 people in Christchurch & left much of the city in ruins (& much of it is still in ruins but that's a whole different & shameful story). Haven't seen anything official but I'd expect to see some kind of commemoration, possibly even a one-off jersey to mark the occasion. And with the passing of DV I'd expect to also see that given some recognition so it could be a long pre-game..........

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Brumbies

1. Nic MAYHEW
2. Josh MANN-REA
3. Allan Ala'alatoa
4. Rory ARNOLD
5. Sam CARTER
6. Scott FARDY
7. Chris ALCOCK
8. Jordan SMILER
9. Joe POWELL
10. Wharenui HAWERA
11. James DARGAVILLE
12. Kyle GODWIN
13. Tevita KURIDRANI
14. Henry SPEIGHT
15. AIDAN TOUA

REPLACEMENTS

16. Robbie ABEL
17. Ben ALEXANDER
18. Leslie LEULUA’IALI’I-MAKIN
19. Tom STANIFORTH
20. Lolo FAKAOSILEA
21. De Wet ROOS
22. Andrew SMITH
23. Isaac THOMPSON

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
Surprised that Thompson is on the bench, didn't realise he was even officially in the squad. I would have thought Jackson-Hope or Jooste would have been preferred. Is this another case of Larkham wanting an older/more experienced player?

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Larkham said Jooste had a bit of an injury during the pre-season and is behind schedule a bit so Thompson is there since he can play 10/15.

There is also a Brumby Runners game this weekend so some who missed out will get a game there.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Crusaders

1. Joe Moody
2. Ben Funnell
3. Owen Franks
4. Scott Barrett
5. Sam Whitelock
6. Jordan Taufua
7. Matt Todd
8. Whetu Douglas
9. Bryn Hall
10. Richie Mo'unga
11. George Bridge
12. Ryan Crotty
13. Jack Goodhue
14. Seta Tamanivalu
15. Israel Dagg

16. Codie Taylor
17. Wyatt Crockett
18. Michael Ala'alatoa
19. Luke Romano
20. Pete Samu
21. Ereatari Enari
22. Mitchell Hunt
23. David Havili

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I really like that Brumbies team and it will be interesting to see how it performs.

Status
Not open for further replies.