• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Round 1 2017 Crusaders v Brumbies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Good hustle by the Brumbies in the second half, but some basic errors and poor kicking cost them..........

Powell and the Wobs contingent played well.

Still need to improve their attack - too many one off runners, not enough offloads etc.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Rubbish card for Dargaville. He was doing the exact same thing as Dagg but Dagg simply got higher than he did.

Either way the Brumbies proved me wrong and I'm very happy that was the case.

Thought it was going to get ugly out there but Aus rugby needs all franchises to be firing on all cylinders.

Knock a few Kiwis over this season, yeah?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Rubbish card for Dargaville. He was doing the exact same thing as Dagg but Dagg simply got higher than he did.

That's how the law works though. If you are in the air and clearly get to the ball first, you get protected.

If Dargaville had got up into the air it would have probably been a fair contest.

There was another high ball contest where the Brumbies player caught it and Ben Smith got injured where it was fine because both players were in the air and in a position to catch it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Not sure the Dargaville Dagg incident warrented anything more than a penalty. Just appeared to be referees over protecting All Blacks again in NZ...
Dagg was the best for the Saderz last night and 100 caps for the club, congrats...
Brumbies good effort with new squad...i wondered if the brumbies were intentionally kicking to Dagg to take him out of the return attack support line first, such a dangerous player...

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Jordan Smiler played well at No.8. I woukd like to see him and Powell working of the back of the scrum more. And our new flyhalf took the saders pressure well, promising start for him.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Watching the replay - First half Brumbies observations...

Kuridrani is starting off the year in good form.

Powell playing well.

Alcock's ball handling is atrocious.

Toua is still not up to this level.
Toua has improved though

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Toua has improved though

He had one good run and a couple of nice passes, but there's still major issues with his decision making, defence, strength in contact and kicking game.

In fact, the Brumbies really need to start kicking less as they no longer have the players to win that battle.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
He had one good run and a couple of nice passes, but there's still major issues with his decision making, defence, strength in contact and kicking game.

In fact, the Brumbies really need to start kicking less as they no longer have the players to win that battle.

I think he had more then a few good touches, and comparatively has improved since last season. Larkham and the team are asking alot of him.. At the moment I can't see anyone as a better 15 then him in the team.. Possibly play Dargaville there in a Pat McCabe type fullback..

Maybe, it's because its the start of the season, give me a few weeks and I'll be arguing big Benny A should start there before him..

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Here's some highlights you may or may not like:

Thanks WO, I appreciate your interest. I'll pass your comments on to Sam's paternal Grandfather tomorrow morning! He has Foxtel, but sadly, he is sight-impaired to a degree where he relies on others (like me) to "embellish" Sam's performances in the Brumbies matches!! He is the person who first started calling me "Mr Doug"!!

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
That's how the law works though. If you are in the air and clearly get to the ball first, you get protected.

If Dargaville had got up into the air it would have probably been a fair contest.

There was another high ball contest where the Brumbies player caught it and Ben Smith got injured where it was fine because both players were in the air and in a position to catch it.

BH, I know you are just making a point, but since when did Ben Smith play for the Saders?

I did think straight away that Dargaville would get a card, but he was really entirely innocent of any deliberate action/offence. He has his eyes on the ball all the way completely unaware of Dagg's presence, and was in the perfect spot to take the catch which he would have done had Dagg not jumped above him from his blind side.

Too many YCs this weekend for unintentional actions, including Hunt against Mvovo and Hardwick against Folau(?). Administrators/officials need to draw in a long breath and put the cards into a deeper pocket in cases of accidental contact.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
BH, I know you are just making a point, but since when did Ben Smith play for the Saders?

I did think straight away that Dargaville would get a card, but he was really entirely innocent of any deliberate action/offence. He has his eyes on the ball all the way completely unaware of Dagg's presence, and was in the perfect spot to take the catch which he would have done had Dagg not jumped above him from his blind side.

Too many YCs this weekend for unintentional actions, including Hunt against Mvovo and Hardwick against Folau(?). Administrators/officials need to draw in a long breath and put the cards into a deeper pocket in cases of accidental contact.

Woops! That's why I couldn't recall which Brumbies player Smith collided with. I think it was Damien McKenzie from the day before between Chiefs and Highlanders. That was a good example of a genuine contest in the air where neither player committed an offence.

The fact that Dargaville was watching the ball doesn't negate the offence. It could have been a penalty only but a yellow card was reasonable. By getting in the air Dagg earns himself protection unless another player is in an equivalent position in the air to contest.

I don't think they will review either the Hunt or Hardwick cards and consider them incorrect.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
^^^^^
Hopefully, the risk of copping a mandatory yellow lessens Aussie 9's tendency to stick up bad, pointless midfield boxkicks.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Wow - top match from an Aussie team.

Even though a loss the Ponies were good. Frankly I thought this year would be a rough year for them but the ticker they showed surprised the crap out me.

Fardy was huge. It certainly appears that the captaincy duties fit well on Carter. He had a excellent game also.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Ideal Brumbies weather. Wet game for the piggies only, backs only there to chase kicks. They'll be in their element. Sharks probably not so much. Good to see no Oosterhuizen - two red card offences in the one game was a disgrace.

Status
Not open for further replies.