• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Round 1 2017 Crusaders v Brumbies

Status
Not open for further replies.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Surprised that Thompson is on the bench, didn't realise he was even officially in the squad. I would have thought Jackson-Hope or Jooste would have been preferred. Is this another case of Larkham wanting an older/more experienced player?

It does make you wonder about the selection / contracting / composition of the squad and balance of players.

IIRC Thompson is on an EPS. Does suggest a depth issue if you consider that both he and Hawera were both brought in late.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
No Faingaas?

And despite JJH being younger, he'd actually have more Super Rugby experience than Thompson.

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
I think A Fainga'a only arrived back from Japan about a week or two ago, so that might explain his absence. However I thought S Fainga'a had been in Canberra for a few months now so not sure why he wasn't picked.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
A Fainga'a not only got back from Japan a few week ago his daughter was born on the 18th.

As for S Fainga'a, what he brings in mongrel (I like) is still being offset by the amount of penalties he concedes. He needs to clean it up again and I am still not totally sold on is scrum work in recent times.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
A few surprises in the Brumbies side. I thought Saia would get a run at least off the bench; Smiler it No 8 I didn't expect - he's also a bit of a penalty magnet though a wholehearted goer; Thompson on the bench in place of JJH, but I suppose his goal kicking would have been a factor; and Andrew Smith I didn't expect but he has shown a lot more direct running in trials this year than he showed over last year. Benny A as the reserve LHP is not unexpected given the failure of Sio to make the side.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
If you look at the side and the size of the halves, they will need protection to some degree so some blokes to get in and get dirty is what is needed and Fardy and Smiler can do that, they just need to be smart about how they do so.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Got some ball starting too look sharpe.. Just need to stop the kicking

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

dru

David Wilson (68)
BTW what happened to the tradition of Kiwi teams starting the season slow and rusty?

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
^^^^^^^^^ as I pointed out to the Dismal One a couple weeks back, Shag wants his boys in full axe murder mode to put the shits up the Pom & Celt Pussycats :)

Reactions: dru
Status
Not open for further replies.