• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rio Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
What is false?

NZ has more kids playing Union than OZ

Registered players: 146,893 (total) 28,648 (adults). It's like 100k kids.
Adidas pays more to the NZRU than Asics to the ARU. And it's just a sponsor, NZRU has more sponsors than ARU, right?
NZRU has more elite players than the ARU (ITM Cup is bigger than the NRC by far)
You have Super Rugby players at 7s like the Ioane brothers and superstars like SBW

And about the infrastructure, is what a small nation like NZ can get. If you look the Chiefs gym, is a small gym for a top club in the most important sport of the country:

Player numbers are notorious inaccurate but unless ARU's Annual Report-stated 236K involved in structured comps is pure fantasy, that's double NZ's. Unless Australia is the only country with way more adult than youth players, there are most certainly more Aussie than kiwi kids playing rugby.

Financials are even murkier territory and the adidas & AIG sponsorships are up there in world sport terms, but it's a fact that every Australian Super Rugby side spends more on player salaries than the NZ sides, and that the ARU pays the Wallabies more than NZRU pays the All Blacks.

ITM Cup isn't "elite rugby", it's the stepping stone to it. Each Union involved has a strictly-policed cap with set minimum & maximum salaries (you can't, for example, say you're paying Beauden Barrett $10K, NZRU will value him at say $75K & that's his cap value).

Of course the Chiefs have a sweet training facility, pretty sure the 'tahs & Reds aren't exactly training in some guy's shed, though.

As to the presence of Super Rugby players in the NZ7's I'm not sure what that has to do with anything other than that they committed to (in the case of the Ioanes) the required number of HSBC Legs to be considered for selection, or in the case of SBW full-time, and were deemed worthy of selection. Nothing prevented any Australian Super Rugby player willing to take the salary hit from doing likewise.

Not trying to pick a fight with you, mate, I'm just over people stating that NZ has inherent advantages over someone/ everyone else when the fact is it doesn't. Such advantages as NZ does enjoy have had to be fought for & vigorously defended over the years.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
NZs inherent advantage is the pride of place rugby has in the country and what that does for keeping players and coaches playing the game locally and eschewing greater financial reward elsewhere.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
^^^^^^^^^^ Call it semantics but I don't consider that "inherent" but something that's evolved ("fought for & vigorously defended") over the 130-odd years since the game was first played in NZ.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Exactly, BR. Why pay shitloads of money for the Olympic broadcasting rights and then drip feed it to Oz viewers via a Sunrise session? Koch doesn't even know the difference between 7s and 15s in rugby, and he wanks on about Australia being "the inaugural and current rugby 7s Olympic champions".

There're times when commercial TV broadcasters think the world exists only for them to ask us to cheer on their thrash-wanking.

Fox had 5 channels IIRC for the London Olympics to supplement the 2 x 7 channels.. Far superior coverage - and you could actually look up what was on instead of having to take pot luck randomly changing from one 7 channel to another. Channel 9 would be the only ones who could do a worse job.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Fox had 5 channels IIRC for the London Olympics to supplement the 2 x 7 channels.. Far superior coverage - and you could actually look up what was on instead of having to take pot luck randomly changing from one 7 channel to another. Channel 9 would be the only ones who could do a worse job.

Channel Nine had the London Olympics...........

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Channel Nine had the London Olympics.....

Exactly and they were abysmal - but Fox also had 5 channels operating. So you didn't actually have to watch channel 9.

As I speak, Channel 7 have soccer on the main channel and the same match on 7mate. 7two have gone over to some American soapie repeat.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Exactly and they were abysmal - but Fox also had 5 channels operating. So you didn't actually have to watch channel 9.

As I speak, Channel 7 have soccer on the main channel and the same match on 7mate. 7two have gone over to some American soapie repeat.

Nine couldn't afford the exclusive rights, otherwise they would've done the same thing Seven is doing (3 channels plus online).........

7Two has finished broadcasting for the day because it's nearly 1am in Rio and there's nothing on...........

The Matildas match was live on 7Mate, and the main channel then switched over to it once it was finished with the swimming (7Mate was scheduled to go off air at 12.30 but the Matildas went overtime).

FTA channels obviously don't have the same facilities as Foxtel, but then again most people don't have Foxtel...........

Some of the complaints being thrown around are quite misguided.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Nine couldn't afford the exclusive rights, otherwise they would've done the same thing Seven is doing (3 channels plus online)...

7Two has finished broadcasting for the day because it's nearly 1am in Rio and there's nothing on.....

The Matildas match was live on 7Mate, and the main channel then switched over to it once it was finished with the swimming (7Mate was scheduled to go off air at 12.30 but the Matildas went overtime).

FTA channels obviously don't have the same facilities as Foxtel, but then again most people don't have Foxtel.....

Slim, normally I find we share similar ideas and opinions (Aiden Toua aside), but on this topic I think you are the odd man out. Is it a case of the rest of the army being out of step?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Slim, normally I find we share similar ideas and opinions (Aiden Toua aside), but on this topic I think you are the odd man out. Is it a case of the rest of the army being out of step?

Look, I'm not going to comment on the quality of their product.............

I'm just correcting some very unfounded criticism on the operational side of the broadcast............

But yes, from my professional viewpoint I can say with absolute certainty that some of the people commenting on here about this aspect have no idea what they're talking about.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I am more with Slim than the rest. It's really easy to complain about the quality of broadcast, across everything. The Olympics are the hardest because you are never going to please everyone - my mate on FB was going off because 7 didn't show any of the dressage (the fucking dressage!).

7 only have three FTA channels to play with, and it does limit what they can do.

Their streaming service has been fantastic, as I said above. This morning I toggled between the long jump heats, archery replays, swimming finals, basketball and rowing replays. All with minimal ads.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Their streaming service has been fantastic, as I said above. This morning I toggled between the long jump heats, archery replays, swimming finals, basketball and rowing replays. All with minimal ads.

Now this actually surprises me because a lot of people were having major issues, but that might've just been some teething problems in the first couple of days..........

I haven't actually used it so I can't comment.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Yeah it didn't cope on day 1, but since then I've found it to be excellent.

It might be OK now but on day 3, women's sevens final it would run for 20 secs and then freeze. It took me about 2 minutes to reboot (cause they always showed a minute of ads before starting) and then I'd see another 20 seconds. Rinse and repeat.

I have far more tolerance for the Census debacle than I have for the 7 streaming site. The problems were entirely predictable and fixable, but they didn't and it ruined for me what should have been the highlight of the games.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Nine couldn't afford the exclusive rights, otherwise they would've done the same thing Seven is doing (3 channels plus online)...

7Two has finished broadcasting for the day because it's nearly 1am in Rio and there's nothing on.....

FTA channels obviously don't have the same facilities as Foxtel, but then again most people don't have Foxtel.....

Yes, it's 1am in Rio and there's nothing much happening, so maybe you could show the events that have been on during the middle of the night Australian time during the day?

Nothing else to show but soccer on two channels?? Seriously???

Maybe 7 could have made themselves some money and outsourced some of the lesser events to foxtel?

Regardless, the simple fact is that the coverage provided by 7 isn't as good as that provided by 9 and Fox 4 years ago.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yes, it's 1am in Rio and there's nothing much happening, so maybe you could show the events that have been on during the middle of the night Australian time during the day?

You mean what they've already been doing for several hours every day across multiple channels?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Except for all the highlights they showed on the main channel after the Matildas for an hour........

Or the 2 1/2 hours they just played from 7Two (or the main channel in Syd/Bris) from 3pm........

Or the 2 hours of highlights they're showing across 2 channels from 7pm tonight.............

I'm sure the online app probably also has plenty of highlights too?

Status
Not open for further replies.