• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rio Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
BH, I direct this comment to you because you seem tpo be the main defender of the Ch 7 coverage. While this year's FTA coverage might be better than any previously, the main issue to me, and one that is raised by other posters as well, is the absence of information about what's on, 0n which channel and when. Viewing is just pot luck most of the time.

The coverage on the whole is very deficient compared with Foxtel's coverage in 2012 and their coverage of major sporting events generally.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
BH, I direct this comment to you because you seem tpo be the main defender of the Ch 7 coverage. While this year's FTA coverage might be better than any previously, the main issue to me, and one that is raised by other posters as well, is the absence of information about what's on, 0n which channel and when. Viewing is just pot luck most of the time.

The coverage on the whole is very deficient compared with Foxtel's coverage in 2012 and their coverage of major sporting events generally.

I'm only defending it relative to previous Olympic coverages. They all suck.

I love the Olympics both Summer and Winter and try and watch a lot of it. The FTA coverage is a long way off the mark with what I'd consider good.

The excessive studio segments they always persist with must come from somewhere. Presumably they do focus groups or something and determine that a lot of their audience are very casual fans and aren't as interested in just watching sport.

The overall ratings they get are very good which indicates that there must be a lot of people watching who aren't hardcore sports fans.

I agree that they could and should have a much better guide about what is on which channel when (even if it isn't precise). At the very least an indication of which sports feature on which channels so you have a better chance of recording the right channel overnight.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
There should be full schedules for the two minor channels - 7 two and 7 mate. I agree that's a major flaw.

It's a bit harder on the main channel given the unpredictability of the Games- if an Aussie is leading the equestrian or something you'd have to cut in to the broadcast, and have the flexibility to go wherever you want.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Some numbers are beginning to trockle in regarding viewing. A little over 2.4m Germans tuned into the Sevens final a 24% share. The game was broadcast live between 12-12:30am.

The quarter finals and semi's averaged 3.25m or a 25.1% share. In Spain the final drew 400k which actually was the lowest ratings it got in the country for the tournament. The Las Leonas (their women's side) actually drew ratings over 1m throughout their involvement.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

But you're not comparing apples with apples.........

If you want to compare FTA coverage then you can't bring FOXTEL into the debate.

Foxtel's role in this games has been replaced by the online app, which is a great improvement for most people.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Just walked past the telly, javelin medals being fought out.mens 800 & women's gold won in this session.
Plenty of empty seats,and I mean plenty!
Seems to be the case in most sports,most days.
Has the gloss worn off,or just huge mistake in host selection?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
host selection clearly.

London Olympics were spectacularly well supported, as was the last RWC.

I fear for the Paralympics though...

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Just walked past the telly, javelin medals being fought out.mens 800 & women's gold won in this session.
Plenty of empty seats,and I mean plenty!
Seems to be the case in most sports,most days.
Has the gloss worn off,or just huge mistake in host selection?

Might have something to do with Rio going nuts with the pricing.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
At the time Brazil were given the games, they was a powerhouse economically. Since then they have fallen off a cliff.

IOC will definitely learn it's lesson though, and I can't see the games going outside established nations with Olympic hosting pedigree for quite a while.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
What are the chances of Caslick or one of the 7s team carrying the Olympic flag? Now that would be a powerful media boost.

Does it usually go to the a top performer?

Only 6 gold medalists so far

- 4 x 100m freestyle relay
- Kyle Chalmers (swimming)
- Kim Brennan (rowing)
- Mack Horton (swimming
- Catherine Skinner (shooting)
- Aussie 7s

Still half a week or so to play out, and if the Boomers take the Gold then I'd back Bogut or Mills to carry the flag. But it'd be pretty amazing if it was one of the Pearls...

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Might have something to do with Rio going nuts with the pricing.

Yep. Given the country has paid shiploads anyway, they may as well fill the seats with cheap or give-away tickets.

Apparently there are so many school kids in Rio, they have to run three shifts each day in most schools. Just give any class of 11 or 12 year-olds a free excursion to the Games.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
At the time Brazil were given the games, they was a powerhouse economically. Since then they have fallen off a cliff.

In October 2009 Brazil was rated Ba1 by Moody's (ie sub-investment grade), hardly an economic powerhouse. Now rated Ba2, so haven't really fallen off a cliff either. Smells more like dodgy IOC decision making.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
What are the chances of Caslick or one of the 7s team carrying the Olympic flag? Now that would be a powerful media boost.

They would be in the conversation, though I'd say they are a long shot.

Kyle Chalmers and Mack Horton were a bit more prominent in their success, I'd suggest, but for mine the favourite might be Kim Brennan. Long career, multiple Olympic medals but cracked the gold for the first time in a really tough event.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yeah, Brennan has more of the story behind her doesn't she? Helps that she's a rower and I assume John Coates will have a big say in it.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
But you're not comparing apples with apples...

If you want to compare FTA coverage then you can't bring FOXTEL into the debate.

Foxtel's role in this games has been replaced by the online app, which is a great improvement for most people.

But he wasn't doing that, he was comparing coverage as a whole.

Which is inferior

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
But you're not comparing apples with apples...

I wasn't trying to compare fta to Fox; my comments were strictly about my enjoyment of the coverage.

However, to illustrate the difference - with Fox in 2012 I had a schedule showing which events were on which channel at what time, and I was able to regulate my viewing accordingly to the events I wanted to watch, while being able to record events at unfavourable times to watch later. The only way I could be certain of seeing all the events I wanted (assuming they were being shown at all) this time around would have been to have continuously monitored all channels 24 hours a day (or while they were broadcasting) and that was beyond my level of perseverance. Consequently, my level of watching dramatically fell off after day 1.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I wasn't trying to compare fta to Fox; my comments were strictly about my enjoyment of the coverage.

However, to illustrate the difference - with Fox in 2012 I had a schedule showing which events were on which channel at what time, and I was able to regulate my viewing accordingly to the events I wanted to watch, while being able to record events at unfavourable times to watch later. The only way I could be certain of seeing all the events I wanted (assuming they were being shown at all) this time around would have been to have continuously monitored all channels 24 hours a day (or while they were broadcasting) and that was beyond my level of perseverance. Consequently, my level of watching dramatically fell off after day 1.

You're 100% corect BR. 2012 was the pinnacle of Olympic broadcasting for all the reasons that you have listed.

Status
Not open for further replies.