• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rio Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Regardless, the simple fact is that the coverage provided by 7 isn't as good as that provided by 9 and Fox 4 years ago.

Except that most people don't have Foxtel, and it's more expensive to subscribe to their online service than the 7app...........

And having used Foxtel Play for a few years I can confirm that it's fairly crap.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Better than 9 could provide on its own is still not good enough.

They've got 4 channels. At the best of times, 3 of them are running Olympic coverage. There is no published broadcast schedule for events. The app isn't free for all events (should be a pay for no ads option instead).

The commentary is biased towards aussies to the extent that I find it distasteful, and haven't been as much as I did in London.

Better is not good enough.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Better than 9 could provide on its own is still not good enough.

They've got 4 channels. At the best of times, 3 of them are running Olympic coverage. There is no published broadcast schedule for events. The app isn't free for all events (should be a pay for no ads option instead).

The commentary is biased towards aussies to the extent that I find it distasteful, and haven't been as much as I did in London.

Better is not good enough.

Its' not even better. The coverage in 2012 was vastly superior to what's on offer this year (as an overall package).

No FTA channel can provide the coverage that is demanded. Better that they confine themselves to the mainstream events and outsource the other events to pay TV.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I don't understand how you think Pay TV is superior to the online streaming model used by 7.

It's accessible to way more people, and gives the user many more options, as well as the abilities to access replays, highlights etc. Four years ago I was confined to what was on 9 or Fox. Now I can logon to 7 and watch a replay of the Men's Trap Shooting, fast forward to the bit that I want, etc.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
On Demand streaming is going to give PayTV a big hard fist for events like this. Pay-per-view was already doing tidy, if not spectacular, business.

US sports like NBA, NFL, NHL etc. and big football organisations like EPL are already offering streaming season passes where you don't need anything except a device.

The sooner FoxSports wakes up and does something similar - that isn't "EVERY CHANNEL STREAMED REALLY BADLY!" - they'll start to see revenue.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I don't understand how you think Pay TV is superior to the online streaming model used by 7.

It's accessible to way more people, and gives the user many more options, as well as the abilities to access replays, highlights etc. Four years ago I was confined to what was on 9 or Fox. Now I can logon to 7 and watch a replay of the Men's Trap Shooting, fast forward to the bit that I want, etc.

Because I look at what I can watch in 2016 and what I could watch in 2012 and have no doubt that the choice I had in 2012 was better.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
If you are a Foxtel customer who doesn't use online streaming, then that is certainly true.

However most people are not Foxtel customers, and do have use for online streaming.

So for you this Olympics is worse, yes. But for many more it is a lot better.

This doesn't make your opinion any less valid, though.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
In terms of FTA coverage, this time around is actually pretty good. It comes from a very low base though. At least now there are three channels that are utilised.

As a sports fan, Olympics coverage is always going to be frustrating because it is clearly targeted at more casual fans and involves a lot more interviews and replays and less focus on live sport.

It does seem like live streaming is the way forward and everyone just needs to embrace it. Foxtel doesn't have the subscriber base to spend a huge amount of money on their own coverage across a lot of channels. Their coverage in the past has been excellent though.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
In terms of FTA coverage, this time around is actually pretty good. It comes from a very low base though. At least now there are three channels that are utilised.

True that no FTA network is able to fulfil expectations. I have a few main beefs with 7 this time around.

1. There seems to be no way of checking what events are on any of their channels. You have to flit from channel to channel and hope that you run across some sort of schedule for the next few hours. 4 years ago you could find what was going to be on each channel in advance and could plan your viewing.

2. Some events are replayed endlessly. As I flicked around the channels yesterday, I ran across full replays of the soccer and other main stream sports on multiple occasions. There seems little variety in the offerings. We see mainstream sports all the time - I can watch Nadal and del Potro play every other week for example. I fluked across some sailing the other day which was great. If you're lucky enough to catch some equestrian, it's on for a few minutes and then we're back to the talking heads. 2012, I was able to watch wrestling, judo, archery and all manner of sports that we don't ordinarily see.

3. Even when you are lucky enough to find a non-mainstream sport to watch, 7 are likely to change it partway through. In the last few days I've been watching a hockey match and a water polo match and partway through both, up comes something else and you have to change channels.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Exclude the Foxtel coverage from 2012 and the Olympics FTA coverage is always terrible and is full of studio time, replays and a unbelievable focus on swimming because we win medals there.

These same complaints happen every Olympics and I think this time around is actually better than previous FTA coverage we've had (mostly because they can use three channels).

2008 was the worst that I can remember. I was following online and both Steve Hooker and Matthew Mitcham won gold medals whilst the coverage was showing replays of events that happened earlier.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
And apparently tonight, there was so little that happened today we got a replay of Cathy Freeman winning the 400 in 2000. Sigh.

Prime time 8.30pm.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
AFAIK, no highlights of the epic between Andy and Del Potro, regardless of what you think of them personally or stylistically, it was an enthralling game.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
And apparently tonight, there was so little that happened today we got a replay of Cathy Freeman winning the 400 in 2000. Sigh. Prime time 8:30pm.

Second week, few Australians running around in athletics or jumping about in gymnastics. I predicted this.

Shame on you, Channel 7. WTF did you pay all that money just to annoy your viewers?

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
2008 was shocking. I switched over to SBS to watch the interesting events, rather than Stephanie Rice ad nauseum. I can't really watch the Olympics now.

I'd like to watch van Niekirk's world record (43.03! That's fucking super human), but would rather shoot myself than sit through Channel Seven all evening in the hppes of catching a replay, or paying for their (by most reports) shithouse application.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
AFAIK, no highlights of the epic between Andy and Del Potro, regardless of what you think of them personally or stylistically, it was an enthralling game.

It's on 7two now and has been for at least the last 45 minutes.

EDIT - appears to be a full match replay rather than highlights.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
2008 was shocking. I switched over to SBS to watch the interesting events, rather than Stephanie Rice ad nauseum. I can't really watch the Olympics now.

I'd like to watch van Niekirk's world record (43.03! That's fucking super human), but would rather shoot myself than sit through Channel Seven all evening in the hppes of catching a replay, or paying for their (by most reports) shithouse application.
The 400 was amazing well worth tracking down. An amazing lane eight run.
Don't bother with the post race interview though.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.