• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds vs Waratahs, 2011R10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Last year I said that enjoyed watching the Reds playing more than my own team, the Tahs, and nothing much has changed this year. I can't wish them success in the game, obviously, but I want to see more of the Reds' rugby I saw last week.

Great post, Lee. This part in particular is exactly how I feel right now. I was way more into the redbull game than the tahs blues just because of the way the reds went about it. Heart says tahs by a bit, head says reds by a bit

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
If Hickey is starting players who are "clearly injured", then his a fucken twat... Plain and simple
You complain about your injury toll, lucky your not a force supporter then, you would probably kill yourself.

TOCC, you should read the gracious comments by Waratahs fans on this thread, as a guide. :)

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
If Hickey is starting players who are "clearly injured", then his a fucken twat... Plain and simple
You complain about your injury toll, lucky your not a force supporter then, you would probably kill yourself.

Three of the Australian teams have had a bad run of injuries in the first half of the season - Brumbies, Force and Tahs. It has not helped the Australian conference performance one little bit, which overall has been poor.

Enjoy your time in the sun. It tends to even out over time, though the Force supporters probably don't think so.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Meh, the Reds have had injury plagued seasons that belittle the combined injury list of the Brumbies, Waratahs, Force and Rebels this season, so for a change the gods are looking down at us favourably. The greats of the game don't get injured often anyway.

I think the Reds will win this game. The Waratahs won't win with a pedestrian like Beale at flyhalf with his predictable passing game and chip and chase when all else fails. Instead, I think the greatest Super Rugby flyhalf of all time will teach him a thing or two and promptly ensure he is shifted back to fullback where he belongs. As for the battle of the breakdown, I think Robinson is going to make Waugh look like an old mank gimp, while Palu won't last 20minutes compared with the freakish athletic engine of Higginbotham. The only player from NSW that I'm concerned about is Drew Mitchell...and he's a Queenslander!

Reds by 25

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Meh, the Reds have had injury plagued seasons that belittle the combined injury list of the Brumbies, Waratahs, Force and Rebels this season, so for a change the gods are looking down at us favourably. The greats of the game don't get injured often anyway.

I think the Reds will win this game. The Waratahs won't win with a pedestrian like Beale at flyhalf with his predictable passing game and chip and chase when all else fails. Instead, I think the greatest Super Rugby flyhalf of all time will teach him a thing or two and promptly ensure he is shifted back to fullback where he belongs. As for the battle of the breakdown, I think Robinson is going to make Waugh look like an old mank gimp, while Palu won't last 20minutes compared with the freakish athletic engine of Higginbotham. The only player from NSW that I'm concerned about is Drew Mitchell...and he's a Queenslander!

Reds by 25

thats good, cos im concerned about beau and he is from nsw.

R

ripper868

Think everyone should get over the "he's from she's from" crap to be honest and just enjoy what is going to be a great game of Rugby.

The real grudge match is the curtain raiser anyway - NSW Country v QLD Country - who can sink the most grog post-match

Weather is perfect right now as well and bodes well for tonight.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
Think everyone should get over the "he's from she's from" crap to be honest and just enjoy what is going to be a great game of Rugby.

I agree. Its a professional game and people are going to play where suits them best. Its stupid to ask players to stay in teams not suited to them or that they can't get a gig with.

If we accept that, then we have to accept that people will play in different states from which they came from. If that's the case, then there's no point banging on about where people are from. It should be instead who they are and where they play now.

I mean, it defies logic. As a Victorian, if I were to get a job in NSW and permanently relocate there, am I Victorian or New South Welsh? I'd say New South Welsh; it'd be where I'd made my life. So, why can't the same be true for sportsmen?

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
I mean, it defies logic. As a Victorian, if I were to get a job in NSW and permanently relocate there, am I Victorian or New South Welsh? I'd say New South Welsh; it'd be where I'd made my life. So, why can't the same be true for sportsmen?

There, you answered your own question. You're a Victorian! You never will understand how great it is to be born a Queenslander. That's just a fact of the universe and god and the constitution.

I don't get all the people trying to put a dampener on the State vs State rivalry, "*whispering* shh we are professional nowadays, let's not upset anybody! It states here that Drew Mitchell voted in the NSW election okay".

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
I don't get all the people trying to put a dampener on the State vs State rivalry, "*whispering* shh we are professional nowadays, let's not upset anybody! It states here that Drew Mitchell voted in the NSW election okay".

There's a distinct difference between putting a dampener on a State vs State rivalry and ragging on players because they don't play for their 'state of origin'.

Oh, and I'm Victorian because I live here, nothing more. But, why wouldn't I? It's the greatest place in the world; you can have your pretend 'facts', fairy tales and trade agreements to justify the greatness of QLD but logic agrees with me.

A

allitsab

I couldn't disagree with this more. I moved to NSW from QLD 10 years ago, and would NEVER say I'm New South Welsh. Just wouldn't happen. Sure, I own a house, have built my career in NSW and even married a local, but none of that changes the fact that I'm a dyed in the wool Queenslander.

In fact, with the upcoming birth of my first child, I'm even working out ways to ensure Junior feels as though he's a Queenslander too...

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
I couldn't disagree with this more. I moved to NSW from QLD 10 years ago, and would NEVER say I'm New South Welsh. Just wouldn't happen. Sure, I own a house, have built my career in NSW and even married a local, but none of that changes the fact that I'm a dyed in the wool Queenslander.

I understand that some people feel that way, but the sentiment is illogical. If you are a dyed in the wool Queenslander loyal to the bone, why did you leave your state? Particularly to the extent that you have built a life in New South Wales. If your ties to your state were that important to you, why weren't you willing to take a less attractive job in Queensland?

That being said, I can understand people who are in a period transient employment, such as spending a few years in the mines, retaining their parochial loyalties to their traditional state if it is their intention to move back to their former home in the short to medium term. However, if a move is permanent or at least indefinite, the only real justification I can see for retaining former loyalties like that is emotional attachment, which I argue is not logical.

An analogous example would be: I was previously an engineer but have subsequently decided to study Law. When I am practicing law, I will not be going around saying "oh yeah, I'm doing the job of a lawyer but am really an engineer". I made a choice, I accept all the consequences which go with that choice, large and small. I might accept that I am both a lawyer and an engineer, if the work that I am doing is relevant to that, but it would be foolish on my part to ignore that I am (at that point) actually a lawyer entirely.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
But he won't be!:(

I'm starting to get a bit nervous now. This could be a huge night for the Reds. I hope they realise how important this is. I must say I'm worried about not having a second Australian side in the top 6, but not enough to wish the Waratahs any points this week. Sorry guys I don't hate you, but I don't want to lose to you either.

GO REDS!

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
James your arguments make sense but that doesn't mean you're right. People aren't logical about these things. And qld is full of NSW men and Kiwis and victorians who still support their home state, province or team!

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
James your arguments make sense but that doesn't mean you're right. People aren't logical about these things. And qld is full of NSW men and Kiwis and victorians who still support their home state, province or team!

That's why I've tried to stay in the realm of 'logical' or not rather than right and wrong, which are moral/emotional things and will be defined by each person. I'm just trying to challenge preconceptions a little. Albeit, I do believe what I am saying, particularly regarding the Victorians; all those traitors should support Queensland.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I understand that some people feel that way, but the sentiment is illogical. If you are a dyed in the wool Queenslander loyal to the bone, why did you leave your state? Particularly to the extent that you have built a life in New South Wales. If your ties to your state were that important to you, why weren't you willing to take a less attractive job in Queensland?

That being said, I can understand people who are in a period transient employment, such as spending a few years in the mines, retaining their parochial loyalties to their traditional state if it is their intention to move back to their former home in the short to medium term. However, if a move is permanent or at least indefinite, the only real justification I can see for retaining former loyalties like that is emotional attachment, which I argue is not logical.

An analogous example would be: I was previously an engineer but have subsequently decided to study Law. When I am practicing law, I will not be going around saying "oh yeah, I'm doing the job of a lawyer but am really an engineer". I made a choice, I accept all the consequences which go with that choice, large and small. I might accept that I am both a lawyer and an engineer, if the work that I am doing is relevant to that, but it would be foolish on my part to ignore that I am (at that point) actually a lawyer entirely.

I'm assuming your example of being an engineer once and then career-shifting to law is true; you have all the skilled ability with words associated with the latter and a comlplete inability to see anything outside of the realm of 'logic' and 'reason' of the former. :D

Truth is, as Sully says, there is no point in trying to apply logic to something as emotional, irrational and human as parochialism. As an aside, that's where economics went wrong but I fear that might take us a bit too far from tonight's game (although if the Tahs lose, I might need some distractions).

Go the Tahs!!!!

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)

Reds by 25

Activate the air raid sirens! Reddy is on the attack.

A

allitsab

I didn't realise that simply living in one place means you need to change all of your affiliations; nor that moving away from a place means you should change allegiances.

People move all the time, to enhance a career, to move into a better suburb and so on. This does not mean you need to sign away past allegiances and subscribe to new ones.

What happens if you follow the NRL or AFL, and happen to move towns within the state - does this mean that you need to change which team you barrak for? Does this change who you are? Of course not. We are all a product of where we're from, and the experiences we have.

Me, I'm a Queenslander, and will continue to be so, regardless of where I live.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)

The real grudge match is the curtain raiser anyway - NSW Country v QLD Country - who can sink the most grog post-match

Weather is perfect right now as well and bodes well for tonight.

So true. A couple of the NSW Country guys play for my club and seeing how they went when they went through freshers years ago I'd say QLD Country has a fight on its hands for the boat race.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
For the most part (aside from one throwaway comment) I have avoided discussing affiliation, particularly support. That remains a personal choice, and it is not always as cut and dried as supporting the local team, particularly in competitions such as the AFL or NRL with such a large diversity of options in a single city.

I think the idea that we are where we come from is somewhat anachronistic in a modern, globalised world and hypocritical in a nation founded and sustained by immigration. It reminds me of a quote I read in an article on wikipedia recently. We are fundamentally a nation built on the back of individuals who have disregarded their prior affiliations to become Australian. I am not sure I see the distinction between that process and the changing of one's affiliation between states because of a permanent shift of residency.

Status
Not open for further replies.