• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds vs Brumbies, 2011R16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Giteau should've passed the ball to Cooper, and parted ways so the Reds could score a try under the posts, win the game and try and gain as many points possible.

In fact, the Brumbies shouldn't have played at all.

They should've sat on the sideline and drank tea while the Reds piled on tries for the good of Australian rugby.

Hyperbole button stuck on again?

No one is saying the reds deserved to win, Brumbies were better on the night. The PG didn't change the result other than to deny the reds the bonus point. The question becomes do you do another Aus team a favour and leave the score as is which will influence home final calculations or just look after your team? Big picture - leave the result as is, but in terms of the teams rivalry and "hoodoo" maintenance, then take the kick, and keep the foot on the throat, as he did.

As I said, I think he's a knob for doing it, but I understand why he did and it was his decision to make at the time.

And if the rest of you Brumbies (and Waratahs) supporters are honest, and the situation was reversed, you know that you'd be saying exactly the same thing, so to make a bad pun, get off the high horse and quit yer bitching.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Problem is that quade got penalized for something that happened about 10 other times in the game without being penalized. One about 5 minutes before where two brumbies came in from the side and secured possession. How the fuck was quade meant to know the ref would suddenly apply the rules at that point?

My latest post refers more to your rant. This is a competition and taking points off your opposition is justified in any situation.

And no it didn't happen *10* other times. I can't respond to stuff that didn't happen. Also, the Brumbies were penalised in the last 10 minutes for doing exactly what Quade did, Giteau had a big whinge at the ref for it. Anyway, Quade was blatantly infringing, i don't know how you can dispute this decision (unless you talk about everything other than the decision itself).

Your responses are more on the emotion side, i'm trying to look at this objectively (i would have kicked the ball out myself but i'm not going to blame the brumbies for choosing differently).

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Slim where talking about a decision which was to deliberately and cynically stop another AUS team from getting points. The Brumbies want max competition points? FINE, kick it out and you will get the same amount and not run the risk.

You have been saying personal digs at QLD, the water and really playing the man instead of the ball, so how about we ask you this question: What did the Brumbies gain from kicking that penalty. What did the QRU gain, the ACT union gain, the ARU gain and the wallabies gain. And what did player relations between Wallabies gain?

Looking forward to your response.

They gained a maximum points differential while confirming the win with an extremely low risk penalty.

And the Wallabies werent playing.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I feel I should follow my above comment with this:

Credit is due to the brumbies for how they played tonight. They defended tirelessly and never gave up. A number of their big name players really rose to the challenge and put their hand up for wallaby selection. A while back in one of the wallaby threads every man and his dog was writing off Chisholm for not making an impact, and at the time I noted that the only games he seems to fire up for are those against the reds. Wasn't he on fire tonight, it was great to see.

Also great to see Pat McCabe recapture his early season form. If he performs well over the next few games I can see him making the world cup squad, but I can't help but think he's left his run a little late.

Reds needed to just calm down and put some solid passages of play together after half time. They are really missing the experience of peter hynes at the back. I think he and harris will bring a lot to this team if they can get back in time.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Giteau should've passed the ball to Cooper, and parted ways so the Reds could score a try under the posts, win the game and try and gain as many points possible.

In fact, the Brumbies shouldn't have played at all.

They should've sat on the sideline and drank tea while the Reds piled on tries for the good of Australian rugby.

So if giteau is so perfect why did Moore want to do something different. Do you support giteaus decision making over moores and if so, where does that leave you next year?

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Based on the comments in this thread I take everyone will completely accept it if the Cheetahs were to throw the game against the Sharks later tonight, moving the latter back into the top 6.

The Cheetahs have nothing to gain by winning the match so fuck'em, they should be doing their mates a favor.

Right then.

JimboJoe1006

Chris McKivat (8)
What did giteau have to gain from kicking that goal?

Can anyone think of a good reason?

The fact it is the better the tahs and reds go in the finals the better for aus rugby. And guess what? Ultimately that is better for every player in this country. He is a fuckwit and he has just yet again proven it to me.

Grow up mate. No offence or disrespect, but it would seem that you have never be involved in a competitive environment, whether it be rugby or in general. I know that in Giteau's position I would want to "rub salt in the wound", as another poster has said. No wonder we are considered the dud conference if we have 'collude' (for lack of a better word) and work together to get a home semi-final.

I ask you, where would you draw the line? If, for example, ACT were up by 8, would make personal attacks at Giteau if didn't pass the ball to Quade at the final penalty and let QLD run the length of the field to score? It sounds crazy, but it is essentially the same thing! What are your thoughts on WA resting Pocock, JOC (James O'Connor), Sharpe (in fact the entire 1st XV) next week? It would give these players rest for the WC, and almost gift QLD 5 points! Great for the Reds, and thus great for every single rugby player in Australia!

This one of the most educated sporting forums I have ever come across, true testament to everyone involved, but I found it incredibly insulting whenever people have personal attacks at players. I don't, but I am sure people on this forum do know Matt personally, and unless you are one of those people, please don't call him, or anyone else you don't know in life for that matter, a "fuckwit". Just basic manners, and i find it distasteful, especially to one of the great servants to Australian rugby.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
They gained a maximum points differential while confirming the win with an extremely low risk penalty.

And the Wallabies werent playing.

And what did all the other AUS parties gain. Points difference has been clarified:

force point difference -83
brumbies-104
rebels -271

So what did they gain? they are now a tiny bit closer to the force on PD. By the way this forum is going, AUS rugby isn't gaining anything other than bitterness at Giteau. So why do it?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So if giteau is so perfect why did Moore want to do something different. Do you support giteaus decision making over moores and if so, where does that leave you next year?

I hope Moore is next captain and learns from this.

Gits was 100% correct in his decision.

Brumbies are playing for pride and keeping far enough from the bottom to look respectable.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
If the Brumbies had kicked it out rather than taking the penalty then I think Sanzar would have had something to say about collusion. The right decision in my view, should they have done this would have been to strip the Brumbies of their match points plus a penalty. The whole integrity of the competition depends on every conference playing only for themselves. Would the Reds be happy if all the Saffer teams rolled over to give the Stormers the home final? You'd never hear the end of "We was robbed".

That is the only good reason someone has come up with.

minorbird

Tom Lawton (22)
By the way this forum is going, AUS rugby isn't gaining anything other than bitterness at Giteau. So why do it?

By this forum, only Reds fans have a beef with Giteau for his decision whilst all others have no qualms and indeed some Reds fans are amongst the others.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Can someone now come up with a reason as to why the ar didn't see the high tackle on ioane from about 3 meters away?

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Didnt think I'd ever comment on a game thread again after the debarkle that was the Tahs v Reds thread but this whole thread is gold - keep it up.

Brumbies were solid as in the forwards. I still cant stand the team for all its antics with Andy Friend at the beginning of the year but their fans needed something and topping the reds should give them a boost.

Its not just this thread though. After my own Rugby game today my team went back to our local to watch this game, we've got a few QLD's in the team that were pretty quick at training this week to tell me I was just a sore loser complaining about the poor calls in the Saders/reds game. These same players are now whinging and blowing up deluxe about everything from Gits to the ref. Classic, the emotions Rugby brings up, love it.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Can someone now come up with a reason as to why the ar didn't see the high tackle on ioane from about 3 meters away?

Why bother? You'll just throw the toys out of the pr- oh wait, they're long gone.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
This is a provincial competition and looking at it from a nationalistic point of view is flawed. It is You vs Everyone, no You vs SA and NZ while hoping an AUS team makes the final.

The moral of the story here is that if you want a bonus point so bad, don't give away a penalty in your own half after the siren if you're down by 5 points.

Status
Not open for further replies.