• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds vs Brumbies, 2011R16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
What did giteau have to gain from kicking that goal?

Can anyone think of a good reason?

The fact it is the better the tahs and reds go in the finals the better for aus rugby. And guess what? Ultimately that is better for every player in this country. He is a fuckwit and he has just yet again proven it to me.

So let's say in the last move a Brumby player intercepted a pass. What did you expect he should do? Drop the ball on purpose? Pass it back to a Reds player.

I actually can't believe I'm reading this shit.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
Why in flying fucks name one should expect a professional rugby team gifting another points does weird shit to my brain.

If that's what you think then give yourself a solid uppercut. Now.

It flies in the face of competitiveness which is what this thing we all love is about.

Get real.
if we were actually competing for top spots every year sure
but when we havnt won anything in 10 years thats when we need to help each other out a bit>> yeh its not in the spirit of the game but who the fuck cares when the cupboards bare>

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Giteau should've passed the ball to Cooper, and parted ways so the Reds could score a try under the posts, win the game and try and gain as many points possible.

In fact, the Brumbies shouldn't have played at all.

They should've sat on the sideline and drank tea while the Reds piled on tries for the good of Australian rugby.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Well played Brumbies - genuine effort and intensity for the full 80 mins. A well deserved win.

The Reds failure to front up for a game which represented their chance to:

1. Break a hoodoo that's been around since 1999 (Brumbies only loss in Brisbane)
2. Would have secured their first defeated regular season at home since 1996, &
3. Would have almost locked up the number 1 spot on the table and secured a potential home Grand Final,

is massively disappointing to say the least. Inexcusable really.

It's also screwed my fantasy team and tipping...

Fark that was shit. Very much resembled the Hurricanes match.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
And I have no problem with Gits kicking the goal.

Play shit and you get what you deserve - zero points.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
What was the point of going for the kick? They'd already won. The extra points to the Brumbies meant nothing. You people are looking at it from the Reds perspective and not the Brumbies's perspective. There was not one solitary reason to go for the penalty. Tell me what the point was?

FairWeatherAussie

Ted Fahey (11)
I haven't watched many Brumbies games, but the other couple of times I've seen Phibbs come on to replace Valentine the Brumbies attack has looked far more dangerous. Maybe these were exceptions, but I was surprised before this game, from what I'd seen, that he wasn't their first choice half.

As far as Giteau's final penalty goal, even as a Reds supporter I say good on him. This is Super 15's not U10's. There is no place for sympathy and soft touches!

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Well done Brumbies - jesus they were hungry for that win and it showed. Good on em. Giteau's a knob for taking the last penalty to deny the bonus point, but it's all about maintaining the mental advantage I guess.

If the Brumbies had kicked it out rather than taking the penalty then I think Sanzar would have had something to say about collusion. The right decision in my view, should they have done this would have been to strip the Brumbies of their match points plus a penalty. The whole integrity of the competition depends on every conference playing only for themselves. Would the Reds be happy if all the Saffer teams rolled over to give the Stormers the home final? You'd never hear the end of "We was robbed".

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
What did giteau have to gain from kicking that goal?

Can anyone think of a good reason?

The fact it is the better the tahs and reds go in the finals the better for aus rugby. And guess what? Ultimately that is better for every player in this country. He is a fuckwit and he has just yet again proven it to me.

god scotty grow up. Is good for australian rugby if the reds get points for playing like shit? no it's not. You lost and didn't get anything. Get over yourself.

reds fans are showing their true colors here

G

GC

Got no problem with Gits kicking the goal. They words to Moore were silly though. Glad it's Moore staying and him going. I know which player is more valuable.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
It was the wrong decision because it could hit the post and give possession back to the Reds. They are out of contention so It doesn't improve anything from them, It is an unneccessary risk, which could have lost them the game. THat's why Moore was shitty. If I was Rea I would get shitty with Matt too for potentially costing us the win.

If they were ahead by that amount in a World Cup SemiFinal would you take the points to get maximum points? Fuck no you would kick it out. Plus I'm sure that if Giteau is selected for the Wobs, and say, the Reds miss a home final by one point, there won't be a whole lot of harmony at camp wallaby.

Reactions: Doc

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
Sorry, as a neutral, reading this thread, some Reds fans need to have a bit of humility and stop blaming other factors.

And as for Gits taking 3 points. Good on him. Its what all teams should do. That will affect their points difference and might be the difference between 3rd and 4th in the Oz conference.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
What was the point of going for the kick? They'd already won. The extra points to the Brumbies meant nothing. You people are looking at it from the Reds perspective and not the Brumbies's perspective. There was not one solitary reason to go for the penalty. Tell me what the point was?

By the same token you're looking at this from a complete Reds perspective. If the Chiefs/Canes/Lions/Cheetahs did that to the Reds you would not be complaining despite them not gaining anything either right?

It's about the integrity of the competition.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
I haven't watched many Brumbies games, but the other couple of times I've seen Phibbs come on to replace Valentine the Brumbies attack has looked far more dangerous. Maybe these were exceptions, but I was surprised before this game, from what I'd seen, that he wasn't their first choice half.

As far as Giteau's final penalty goal, even as a Reds supporter I say good on him. This is Super 15's not U10's. There is no place for sympathy and soft touches!

That is rubbish. What was the point if going for it when they'd won and are out if contention. It is not about sympathy for the Reds it is about ending the game when you have won. What if it had hit the posts and the Reds had got the ball.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It was the wrong decision because it could hit the post and give possession back to the Reds. They are out of contention so It doesn't improve anything from them, It is an unneccessary risk, which could have lost them the game. THat's why Moore was shitty. If I was Rea I would get shitty with Matt too for potentially costing us the win.

If they were ahead by that amount in a World Cup SemiFinal would you take the points to get maximum points? Fuck no you would kick it out. Plus I'm sure that if Giteau is selected for the Wobs, and say, the Reds miss a home final by one point, there won't be a whole lot of harmony at camp wallaby.

There's something in the water up in Queensland.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Sorry, as a neutral, reading this thread, some Reds fans need to have a bit of humility and stop blaming other factors.

And as for Gits taking 3 points. Good on him. Its what all teams should do. That will affect their points difference and might be the difference between 3rd and 4th in the Oz conference.

Affect their points differential for third or fourth? What nonsense.

M

Maroon Army

Like with everything thing in Rugby, if your team leaves too many points on the pitch at the end of the game you forfeit the right to whinge. The Reds bombed what appeared to be a certain try at the start of the second half and Quade was disapointing with the boot.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I really do hope Ioane is ok.

It was sickening to see, but purely accidental.

Vaea will probably miss a week or two and rightfully so.

Nothing malicious, but still reckless as he has connected with his head.

So along with no yellow for repeated offenses I guess you dint think he deserved a yellow for taking out the reds most damaging runner.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
You should always make sure your opponent leaves the game with as little points as possible, that is the point of this whole 'competition' thing called the SuperXV. That alone, is a good enough reason to take the points off ANY team. But still...

If the Reds or Tahs do something stupid, maybe half their team tests positive to drugs, or they get found to have played half a game with 16 on the field. I'm pretty sure Sanzar can take points off them if they please, therefore even though the Brumbies are not in line for a finals spot, there is always a slight possibility of the Brumbies somehow making it.

Personally i would kick it out. But the point is, what everyone here considers the 'morally right thing' to do is completely subjective. Therefore if you give away a penalty in your own half after the siren, you can't rely on the opposition to go with whatever decision you personally consider morally acceptable. The point is, the opposition's moral values are completely out of your control, everyone should be aware of this and can only blame themselves if they get into a situation like tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.