• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds vs Brumbies, 2011R16

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Can someone now come up with a reason as to why the ar didn't see the high tackle on ioane from about 3 meters away?

Good point, Ioane fell into it a bit.

Hope he's alright. One of the worst knock-outs I've seen on a rugby field.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
And what did all the other AUS parties gain. Points difference has been clarified:

force point difference -83
brumbies-104
rebels -271

So what did they gain? they are now a tiny bit closer to the force on PD. By the way this forum is going, AUS rugby isn't gaining anything other than bitterness at Giteau. So why do it?

You're assuming they should be playing rugby according to what is best for Australia rugby rather than their own province. Funnily enough, as you pointed out their PD has been improved by Giteau's decision to take the points, from a Brumbies perspective the decision benifits their cause. Even if it is tiny. Therefore, good decision.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Grow up mate. No offence or disrespect, but it would seem that you have never be involved in a competitive environment, whether it be rugby or in general. I know that in Giteau's position I would want to "rub salt in the wound", as another poster has said. No wonder we are considered the dud conference if we have 'collude' (for lack of a better word) and work together to get a home semi-final.

I ask you, where would you draw the line? If, for example, ACT were up by 8, would make personal attacks at Giteau if didn't pass the ball to Quade at the final penalty and let QLD run the length of the field to score? It sounds crazy, but it is essentially the same thing! What are your thoughts on WA resting Pocock, JOC (James O'Connor), Sharpe (in fact the entire 1st XV) next week? It would give these players rest for the WC, and almost gift QLD 5 points! Great for the Reds, and thus great for every single rugby player in Australia!

This one of the most educated sporting forums I have ever come across, true testament to everyone involved, but I found it incredibly insulting whenever people have personal attacks at players. I don't, but I am sure people on this forum do know Matt personally, and unless you are one of those people, please don't call him, or anyone else you don't know in life for that matter, a "fuckwit". Just basic manners, and i find it distasteful, especially to one of the great servants to Australian rugby.

The only thing capable of being agreed to in this otherwise patronizing twaddle is that the goal 'rubbed salt into the wound'. By the look of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) urging Giteau to take the shot he wanted to rub some salt. It is a bit late in the season to get all tough and ruthless when you've played like cream buns in the other games.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
This is a provincial competition and looking at it from a nationalistic point of view is flawed. It is You vs Everyone, no You vs SA and NZ while hoping an AUS team makes the final.

The moral of the story here is that if you want a bonus point so bad, don't give away a penalty in your own half after the siren if you're down by 5 points.

Yep, if the Reds were so desperate for that 1 point then they should have gone long and secured it, yet they still thought if they had regained possession off the 22 restart they could win it. Risky stuff, far more risky than Giteau taking that easy penalty kick and potentially missing. Points are on offer, you take them to win the game as well as deny your opposition

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Obviously not too late if the Reds fans are feeling the burn so deeply.

The Reds didn't deserve to win just like the Hurricanes game. Couldn't care whether they got a bonus point. Didn't deserve to. Just can't figure out why you wouldn't boot the ball out. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) seemed to be the one urging Giteau to take the shot.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
ok just to put one thing to rest
force point difference -83
brumbies-104
rebels -271
so an extra 3 points wernt gunna help the brumbies in anything>
so this settles it > gits is a fuckwit

First of all, the difference is only 21 with two games to go. That could be significant.

Secondly, I would want my team to go for the points even if it were 100 points different. They are pro players and they need to strive to get maximum points at all times.

Thirdly, the Reds were my second team until tonight after the Force. Hvaing seen how their fans react, I am rethinking that. Some Reds fans here are very sore losers and really need to grow up.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Reds didn't deserve to win just like the Hurricanes game. Couldn't care whether they got a bonus point. Didn't deserve to. Just can't figure out why you wouldn't boot the ball out. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) seemed to be the one urging Giteau to take the shot.

If the Chiefs/Canes/Lions/Cheetahs did that to the Reds you would not be questioning their motives right?

The Brumbies kicked the penalty to deny the Reds a bonus point, I won't buy into points difference because it's not really relevant. Denying the Reds a bonus point is a good enough reason.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Here's something for consideration:

The exact same situation occurred in the Waratahs/Force game in Sydney. Penalty to the Waratahs after the siren or just on it. Ball kicked into touch, Force BP...

Assignment for the day: Discuss the relative merit of the decision....

Seriously, some of you blokes need to relax - those suggesting that teams just lay down and let the conference leader win are getting caught up in the emotion. This action did nothing to change the game result, which was that the better team on the night won.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
I am off to the Pub, so don't have the desire to go through it now, but the gits decision and the digby incident has the potential to get feral. Just remember, don't get personal.

In my not so distant hung over future, I will delete posts and hand out cards to anyone, from any side, not playing the ball and not the man. By all means, say your piece, but don't stoop to calling other posters anything that is likely to cause a reaction.

If someone slights you, don't reply, report the post and we will take a look. Re-read the rules before posting or it is ban-hammer time.

Trollers beware.

As I said, I am off to the pub, if you are planning one of those posts, suggest you do the same before posting.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
I think that all the australian sides that aren't in the finals should give the reds their best players. For the good of Australian Rugby.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I hope Moore is next captain and learns from this.

Gits was 100% correct in his decision.

Brumbies are playing for pride and keeping far enough from the bottom to look respectable.

Where has their 'pride' been all season?

Where was their 'pride' a few weeks ago when they settled for a draw when they had a chance to go for the win.

As I said above, the bulls played their second team against the stormers last year to ensure home semi's. And in my opinion it was the right thing to do for south african rugby. The reds played shit tonight, no one is denying it and they certainly didn't deserve to win, but Giteau potentially kicked away half a million dollars, maybe even more.

I thought it was sickening arrogance and I'm just glad that deans didn't make him wallaby captain a couple of seasons ago.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
You're assuming they should be playing rugby according to what is best for Australia rugby rather than their own province. Funnily enough, as you pointed out their PD has been improved by Giteau's decision to take the points, from a Brumbies perspective the decision benifits their cause. Even if it is tiny. Therefore, good decision.

Reward Vs Risk. It's not worth the risk for such minute reward. People saying it's irrelevant because it's not a wallabies game are wrong, it's very relevant because it will play a part in selection and player to player relationships.

We want the wallabies to be a cohesive unit for the world cup, and judging by the fact that everyone from qld is really shitty about this on the forum, the players would be too, meaning a dislike for Giteau from Reds players in the wallabies camp, meaning disharmoney, meaning lesser performances.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Tbf, Spewn is asking a valid question as to why they did it. I'd be interested, maybe something happened in their earlier clash with the Reds?

It doesn't matter what they motive was, the Brumbies are entitled to the points for many reasons. But it would be interesting to know if there was any particular 'hate' behind the choice.

Victorian Reds Fan

Bob Loudon (25)
Giteau is a grade A fuckwit. Hope Robbie see's that and tells him where he can stick getting selected for Australia, deliberate and cynical. Denying the Reds a bonus point, I'm not sure what he was trying to do or achieve, but it just came off as arrogant. Guess that's what Gits is though so no changes there.

Also I have seen the stiff arm that got digby out called given a straight red card? nfi why there was no penalty.

And can someone clarify this but the Brumbies looked to be offside... essentially all the time, but where never blown by the ref.

They did what the force did in round one

The only part I agree with. They had to be offside to move up that fast and smother any potential attacks.

Victorian Reds Fan

Bob Loudon (25)
Tbf, Spewn is asking a valid question as to why they did it. I'd be interested, maybe something happened in their earlier clash with the Reds?

It doesn't matter what they motive was, the Brumbies are entitled to the points for many reasons. But it would be interesting to know if there was any particular 'hate' behind the choice.

Hatred for the other teams, it is quite simple. If you are beating the top team and can deny them something else then do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.