• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds vs Brumbies, 2011R16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Reward Vs Risk. It's not worth the risk for such minute reward. People saying it's irrelevant because it's not a wallabies game are wrong, it's very relevant because it will play a part in selection and player to player relationships.

It could have been a massive risk and minute reward, it doesn't matter. In a competition it is perfectly acceptable to take the BP away from your opposition, or go for the reward if it is there.

We want the wallabies to be a cohesive unit for the world cup, and judging by the fact that everyone from qld is really shitty about this on the forum, the players would be too, meaning a dislike for Giteau from Reds players in the wallabies camp, meaning disharmoney, meaning lesser performances.

This is a provincial competition, the Brumbies have no obligation to weigh up "wallaby relationships" when making decisions off penalty options. This is a complete moot point.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
We want the wallabies to be a cohesive unit for the world cup, and judging by the fact that everyone from qld is really shitty about this on the forum, the players would be too, meaning a dislike for Giteau from Reds players in the wallabies camp, meaning disharmoney, meaning lesser performances.

This would probably happen if the Wallabies was an Under 15's Netball side. They're adult men, they should be able to get over it. The more professional players will say "if we'd played better they wouldn't have had a chance to deny us the bonus point".

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Don't believe that for one second. They all turn into best mates as soon as they get into camp. They're professionals and anyone who holds grudges at national level has issues.

M

malcthom

Slim where talking about a decision which was to deliberately and cynically stop another AUS team from getting points. The Brumbies want max competition points? FINE, kick it out and you will get the same amount and not run the risk.

You have been saying personal digs at QLD, the water and really playing the man instead of the ball, so how about we ask you this question: What did the Brumbies gain from kicking that penalty. What did the QRU gain, the ACT union gain, the ARU gain and the wallabies gain. And what did player relations between Wallabies gain?

Looking forward to your response.

I think in the heat of the loss the Reds fans have totally missed the point! This is a competition between professional sides. There is no place for friends and helping another side out! That would be poor for aussie rugby because SANZAR would cry foul and the aussie sporting reputation would once more be in tatters! If you want to play that way then let's have a Super 11 - 5 sides each from SA & NZ and the Wallabies!

Victorian Reds Fan

Bob Loudon (25)
The only problem is that when I have said that I want the Tahs to lose all the time I have been told that I am not keeping in mind the good of Australian rugby. When I said I had hatred for them I was told I was in the minority. It would now seem that these same people are now saying that the notion of helping the greater good of Australian rugby in the Super 15 is stupid. I love to see hatred, on this occasion it meant the Reds were punished by thems the breaks.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
My final comment (hopefully) is that I wonder whether the Wallabies or ABs or Springboks would have taken the shot when they had already won and nothing else was at stake for them. Probably not. Straight into touch and jumping into each others arms in celebration.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
It's funny that the "One Team" slogan was only released a couple of days ago and something like this happens.

With regards to the kick:

Yes it will not be beneficial to the Reds and possibly to the ARU. It didn't mean a great deal to the Brumbies (in terms of challenging for the playoffs) apart from denying a fellow competitor a point.

However it is a professional sport and I would have done exactly the same thing as Giteau, doesn't matter if they are at the bottom, they have had a poor season and to deny the reds a bonus point will mean a big deal to them (spirit wise).

Digby incident: Forearm to the face, but it was an accident stuff like that happens all the time. Short suspension probably but there was no malice in the tackle.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
My final comment (hopefully) is that I wonder whether the Wallabies or ABs or Springboks would have taken the shot when they had already won and nothing else was at stake for them. Probably not. Straight into touch and jumping into each others arms in celebration.

Actually nvm bonus points do exist in some Tests of course..

M

malcthom

From that distance every side in the world would have taken the shot - absolute gimme!

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Based on the comments in this thread I take everyone will completely accept it if the Cheetahs were to throw the game against the Sharks later tonight, moving the latter back into the top 6.

The Cheetahs have nothing to gain by winning the match so fuck'em, they should be doing their mates a favor.

Right then.

Same way the Bulls sent the 2nd XV to play the Stormers last year then, effectively doing exactly the same thing :) ? Apologies if someone has pointed this out already.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Same way the Bulls sent the 2nd XV to play the Stormers last year then, effectively doing exactly the same thing? Apologies if someone has pointed this out already.

Whilst it could've been argued they did it so the Tahs couldn't progress and gift the Stormers a win I believe their main reasoning was the rest up of players.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I thought Saia was poor tonight and he will be disappointed in his game. Gave away 2 penalties early that Gits kicked, bombed a try with bad pass to his brother early in the 2nd Half and also made crucial errors throwing into the lineout. Much more like that and he'll be getting nowhere near a World Cup Squad.

I did not think Quade and Will were up to their usual standard with their option taking. Will having the flu might have a bit to do with his sub-standard effort but Quade's was more to do with good work from the Brumbies. They really smashed us up front tonight - especially Stephen Moore.

If the Reds ever get the chance to bring him home they should take it. Put him back in a Reds jersey tonight and they win going away.

Also thought it was one of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s better games of the season. Intercept on Quade's pass was a good read and thought he was solid defensively too.

From an overall points perspective, no devastating damage done. Just very disappointing to not beat the Brumbies at home when it has not been achieved since 1999.

Net result is that if the Reds take 5 points from each of their next 2 matches, they will finish first. Can they do it is the big question? It's true what they say that a week is a long time in football.....

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
Secondly, I would want my team to go for the points even if it were 100 points different. They are pro players and they need to strive to get maximum points at all times.

Thirdly, the Reds were my second team until tonight after the Force. Hvaing seen how their fans react, I am rethinking that. Some Reds fans here are very sore losers and really need to grow up.
first of all let me state im a tahs supporter
the reds did not deserve to win
the thing that pisses me off is that gits did that to no benefit (ok minor) to his own team and it could have huge implications for the reds
and how did u feel about gits kicking it out a couple of weeks back instead of chancing for the win against the force?
there has been times i have not been happy with giteaus performances but i have always managed to remember his good times when judging him
the thing is> if they had taken a quick tap or a scrum and scored a try of it - i would of thought hats off to em>
lets remember the Bulls controversially opted to rest 13 of their star players in a game where they lost to the stormers to secure the stormers a home semi a couple of years back

Status
Not open for further replies.