• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds vs Blues, Suncorp Stadium, 2011R13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Victorian Reds Fan

Bob Loudon (25)
I think both sides are really going to come out of the gates fast and expect the first 20 to be very intense. Hopefully there are enough players left uninjured to take on the Crusaders in 2 weeks.

It is going to be very interesting to see the type of game plan Link comes up with. Probably something more in line with how we played the Stormers. Keeping the ball in hand and not kicking away possession ala the Bulls game could be dangerous if ball security isn't perfect here as the Blues are far better on counter-attack. Kicks will also need to find touch and at least a couple of chasers will need to be on it to prevent quick throws. Limit there back 3 and the Reds should get up. Blues only have 1 try to the Reds 7 in there last 2 games so it is very possible to stop them scoring.

This is critical against all NZ teams and will be crucial against the Saders as well.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Good stuff Ali. I agree with a lot of the thinking above, although the stats don't hold out that the Blues will necessarily walk over the Reds in this department (see attached)

View attachment 1417

The Reds are actually committing more men to defensive Rucks and taking fewer rucks to secure turnovers. Whereas they're 3rd in the league in this regard, the Blues are 10th.

You might be onto something with the Reds protecting their own ball though. Both sides commit about the same number of men, but the positions on the table are reversed: the Blues are 3rd in terms of retaining attacking ball, the Reds 11th.

Theoretically it's a stalemate - will be fascinating to see what unfolds on the night

Wow, Stormers are considered the best defensive team by many. Their average of players involved in the breakdown is much lower than many others.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
One rather cynical tactic that the Blues have been getting away with the season is extending their clearout well beyond the tackle area. Against the Crusaders in particular, Blues players were walking over the ruck (which they are entitled to do) but then would keep advancing and even fanning out well past the ruck (up to 5 or more metres past the ruck). This greatly disrupted the Crusaders defensive alignment, and allowed the Blues to make massive gains close to the breakdown with pick and go or forwards running close in off Mathewson. Basically these Blues clearing out players were illegally clearing out a channel for their forward runners to explout close to the breakdown. At the time I was furstrated by the referee's refusal to penalise this illegal tactic. I know opposing fans have accused the All Blacks of this tactic before but I can honestly say I have never seen it performed so blatantly as on this occasion in round one.

I think the ABs and Saders have been past masters at it, but the Reds are starting to do this more and more as well. I hate the tactic. It should be penalised more.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
AC, that's OK so long as they go through the gate, though isn't it? Or is it considered effectively obstruction or being offside?

You can't clear out more than a few metres past the ruck. I recall a AB's try after this a few years ago, breakdown about 7 out from the line, and the AB player clears out a defender not even trying to be involved in the ruck, so far that he takes him to the try line. Next AB runner hits it straight into the hole for a try.

Crow

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I think the ABs and Saders have been past masters at it, but the Reds are starting to do this more and more as well. I hate the tactic. It should be penalised more.
I think that the big problem with penalising it, is that he ref can't give advantage. He's got to make a penalty call directly against the attacking team, which is generally considered poor form.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think that the big problem with penalising it, is that he ref can't give advantage. He's got to make a penalty call directly against the attacking team, which is generally considered poor form.

The ref just needs to nut up and set the tone early. If you penalise the attacking team and communicate properly, the teams will be less likely to offend and the viewers (at least those at home or with a refs feed) will understand (well, the informed ones anyway).

slaven

Frank Row (1)
I agree that this could be a close one, and decided at the breakdown. Backs pretty even, but if the Red's piggies don't put in a performance like Newlands the Blues could really walk over them. I was a bit worried watching the Rebels game the other day with the lack of intensity the Reds showed, but I remember thinking the same thing when they played the Lions. Think Link wil have them raring to go for this one.
CARN THE REDS!

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

The Blues got caught last year against the Tahs a few times, but it is rare

JimboJoe1006

Chris McKivat (8)
Massive game for both sides. Very interested to see Blues' lossies work off the ball. The ability of NZ to close-down QC (Quade Cooper)'s space will be crucial to the Reds and Wallabies performance this year. For the Reds, interesting to watch Ant defence up against Blues' outside backs. Look to see Payne enter the line off McAlister's outside shoulder and create some real space outside. Finally, Blues' lineout was a shambles against the Canes - expecting Quade will have his punting boots on.

Blues win will do wonders for NSW, but really hoping Genia and Quade excel for Australia's sake. For what it's worth, tipped QLD by 4.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Well i'm off to the game, dinner and a reds win.... caxton st will look like downtown Auckland.....Im ready for the cocky blues supporters.... :)

D

daz

Not one comment about Kaplan reffing the game. He might just have a fair impact on the outcome.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
They do, but not to the same extent as what the Blues have been doing it, though in saying that I guess it's a subjective assessment and the sort of thing you notice much more when it's happening against your team. I have seen the ABs and Crusaders do it in the past, but never as blatantly as what the Blues were allowed to do in round one. At one stage a Blues player was tackled ten metres out from the tryline, and his teammates cleared out all the way to the tryline and then stopped and slowly walked backed through the ruck area to get onside, completely disrupting the Crusaders defensive line. So they were blocking on the way through, and then again on their way back on-side.

I just watched 8min of the game from Round 1 on youtube and didn't see one example of what you're talking about....it definitely didn't lead to any of the tries scored anyway.....

D

daz

Very insightful Daz.

Yeah, I probably should have expanded on that a bit......but given it is Friday and my lucidity is waning, I'm going more for stating the bleeding obvious as a default position.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Very insightful Daz.

The game tonight is a massive banana skin for the Reds IMO.

I think a banana skin is something you don't expect, and slip up on. If the Blues win tonight it won't be a massive upset.

I am strangely more confident of winning this game than before the Canes game a few weeks ago.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I think the timing of this game is perfect for the Reds. They have had their two average performances, they know the importance of this match, they know they got the week off next week. I just have a confidence about them for this game I haven't had when they played some other sides (ie: Stormers, NSW and Hurricanes). Auckland are missing their two of their best players as well (Kaino and Toeava).
This being said though, this match is gonna be a massive battle. I have high respect for Auckland and the way they play the game, winner of this will, in my opinion, meet the Crusaders in the final.

Ali's Choice

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I just watched 8min of the game from Round 1 on youtube and didn't see one example of what you're talking about....it definitely didn't lead to any of the tries scored anyway.....

It may not have been obvious on a highlights package. I've got it saved on IQ and I will have another look over the weekend and provide you with some specific times that I saw this happening if you'd like?

Status
Not open for further replies.